Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars

PostPost by: William2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:25 pm

I watched a new classic car show on the Quest channel called Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars the other night. It is also repeated tonight. One of the cars that is restored is a Plus 2 Elan. Worth watching but as always you have to question some of the decisions that are made. For instance a decision is made to repair the rust holes on the chrome headlamp inner bezels. You can find good ones for a few quid from an old MG or many other UK classics.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:51 pm

William

Where have you been?

for-sale-f34/new-show-scam-maybe-not-t40594.html

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:49 pm

I watched it on a recording.

Fascinating - I really did not think another program could make Wheeler Dealer look good.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:11 am

I haven't seen Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars yet, I have an episode on my box waiting to be watched but I did see an episode of Goblinworks or whatever its called last night, a kind of budget version of SIn City Motors crossed with Fantomworks and Overhaulin'. Carefully scripted to enable the presenters to use the words "badass" and "badboy" when referring to their various projects. You actually saw very little of the work being done and the fitting of a new front panel to a rubber-bumpered MGB showed a lack of foresight (they could have just let in a couple of strips to make it fit instead of what they actually did) but the one thing in their favour was that they admitted that it took 3 weeks for the paint to be safe to work on - most of the other similar programmes imply you can paint a car in 24 hours and then polish it!!! I think it's important to remember these are primarily entertainment and as such are somewhat divorced from reality.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Also watched it . Sold for ?20k with full respray done properly .
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:05 pm

DJW wrote:Also watched it . Sold for ?20k with full respray done properly .

as reported in the Daily Mail.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:09 pm

:lol:

Meant to catch the name of the paint shop, as good price for a full respray including sorting problems.

[uodate] found it on thread mentioned further up.
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:32 pm

DJW wrote:[uodate] found it on thread mentioned further up.

Yes, but it gives us all another chance to call Drew Prickchard nasty names :D
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:53 pm

It was a strange program, they did nothing at all to check the mechanical bits of the Elan plus 2 or the Golf GTI, just apparently trusting in what the previous owners had done, it was all about Drew Pritchard and tarting up the appearance of the two cars. I suspect that someone else, not those two 'presentors', gave those mech bits a good going over off-camera.

At least they didn't pretend it was all done in 3 weeks like the other programs do.

It seem that paint shop knew what they were doing, but almost none of it was shown on screen. In reality, they must have scraped all the old red paint off before finishing or redoing the bodgy fibre-glass repair shown on telly. The quote of ?3200 for all that work is ridiculously low, probably knocked 2 grand off the price for the advertising effect of appearing on telly.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DJW » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:46 pm

billwill wrote:
It seem that paint shop knew what they were doing, but almost none of it was shown on screen. In reality, they must have scraped all the old red paint off before finishing or redoing the bodgy fibre-glass repair shown on telly. The quote of ?3200 for all that work is ridiculously low, probably knocked 2 grand off the price for the advertising effect of appearing on telly.

Publicity is good, but they?ve also publicly set an expectation of a price for a full respray ;). Alternatively every other spray shop is taking the Michael.
1969 Elan S4 DHC
DJW
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:04 am

At least he managed to spot the 1969 registered Cooper S had been re-shelled with a later shell.....
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Elseezed » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:02 am

http://youtu.be/8IB15T1LYiY.
Dumbing down television i.e. Reducing the intellectual content.

Les.
Elseezed
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 am

How can you dumb down the lowest depth of dumbness?

The programme could only get better although I admit that isn't saying much.

They should get rid of the cheeky chirpy chappy who ate all the pies, that would be an quantum improvement.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 am

billwill wrote:It seem that paint shop knew what they were doing, but almost none of it was shown on screen. In reality, they must have scraped all the old red paint off before finishing or redoing the bodgy fibre-glass repair shown on telly. The quote of ?3200 for all that work is ridiculously low, probably knocked 2 grand off the price for the advertising effect of appearing on telly.

Did they though? For all we know they DA's that off and painted it right over the old paint.... none of the prep was shown so we don't know if it was stripped back and fixed. There is a massive difference between restoring GRP and painting fresh new stuff...... Be very careful taking your car to guys that fit GRP kits because that doesn't necessarily mean they know how to fix Osmosis or stress cracks properly.

Thing with GRP is you can put a nice paint job over some really bad repairs and it will look good for about 500miles (until the body has flexed a few times) then you are back to square one.

Old Proverb..... Buy cheap, buy twice!!.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:18 pm

So, from Wheeler Dealers to pushing a broom on Project Binky..............
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: