Ian Bond, Classical Dash

PostPost by: Issigonis » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:52 pm

I'm new to the forum and would be interested to know if anyone has done business with this company. I purchased a dash for my '71 Elan Plus 2 from Ian in March of 2017. I've sent numerous emails and even called and have had no response. Can anyone offer any ideas? Did I just get scammed or is this a legitimate business?
Issigonis
New-tral

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 pm

Yep, like many others on here, I too have experienced the exact same story. After weeks of waiting for Bond to reply, then Paul Matty trying to charge me ?40 delivery for one of his dashboards, I ended up veneering my own.
Supposedly a good product be he still sounds crap at business.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:23 pm

I bought a dashboard from them a few years ago at the NEC Classic Car Show, where they had a stand. It took a couple of months to arrive but it did arrive. One of the mounting holes on one side did not quite line up so I just used a thinner screw rather than force the wood as varnishes these days tend to be quite brittle.
I wasn't in a hurry so it wasn't a problem..
I have a friend in France who could refurbis
h your old dashboard otherwise? http://classicdashboards.com otherwise there are a few other restorers in the UK who could redo your old one. I still have the original one from my car which was re-veneered buy a local furniture maker who also filled in a few 'extra' holes and SMS found somebody to varnish it when they resprayed my car. It lasted for a few years and then started to crack
The car has had 5 dashboards times so far! The second one, from a well know supplier (not Susan or Paul Matty), lasted 2 weeks before the varnish started to crack and 'flow'!! I am getting good at replacing them now..
:D
Carl
Last edited by pereirac on Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: godfrsa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:03 am

KevJ+2 wrote:Yep, like many others on here, I too have experienced the exact same story. After weeks of waiting for Bond to reply, then Paul Matty trying to charge me ?40 delivery for one of his dashboards, I ended up veneering my own.

I agree a nightmare to deal with. When did you get your quote from Mattys? Im UK mainland and they quoted me ?20, which i thought was pretty reasonable :)
godfrsa
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Europatc » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:44 am

They have just delivered some dash boards in the last couple of weeks. Mine is having one fitted at Chris Foulds after waiting several months.
ImageImage
Europatc
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: chrisbeck » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 pm

I've met him a couple of times at his workshop which is near me. He currently has my Morgan dash in for refurbishment so I hope he doesn't take too long!
A very personable chap (he made a lovely new dash for my Elan many years ago), I think he has only one guy working with him and could do with a secretary! I complained about him not picking up the phone and he said to leave a message as he cannot keep stopping work to answer it.
Chris
1970 Lotus Elan S4 SE
1973 Lotus Europa Special (under restoration)
1990 Morgan +8
chrisbeck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: KevJ+2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:15 pm

godfrsa wrote:
KevJ+2 wrote:Yep, like many others on here, I too have experienced the exact same story. After weeks of waiting for Bond to reply, then Paul Matty trying to charge me ?40 delivery for one of his dashboards, I ended up veneering my own.

I agree a nightmare to deal with. When did you get your quote from Mattys? Im UK mainland and they quoted me ?20, which i thought was pretty reasonable :)

This was about 2 to 3 years ago. They also took ages to get my dashboard (made by Classical Dash) dispatched.They ended up trying to cover their delay by ordering a gold star next day delivery costing ?40 It was such an insult that I have never bought a nut or bolt from them since. Just my experience :? As with Classical Dash, I wouldn't have any dealings with him on any level either.
KevJ+2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: godfrsa » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:17 am

KevJ+2 wrote:
godfrsa wrote:

This was about 2 to 3 years ago. They also took ages to get my dashboard (made by Classical Dash) dispatched.They ended up trying to cover their delay by ordering a gold star next day delivery costing ?40 It was such an insult that I have never bought a nut or bolt from them since. Just my experience :? As with Classical Dash, I wouldn't have any dealings with him on any level either.

I have really only just entered the Lotus world. When I dealt with PMS recently they were super efficient and reasonable. Though I do believe they have had new staff over the past couple of years. Classical dash have always been a nightmare to deal with, I have had dashes for other vehicles from them and its forever the same story "empty promises". The most annoying thing is they take months and months to fulfill a current order yet they are still at shows pushing for more business!!!
godfrsa
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm

This doesn't auger well for my upcoming dash replacement project.. :(
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:04 pm

I suggest you all give Nick a call here: http://www.nicholas-martin.co.uk

I'm sure he has a lead time so if you need a dash to a timescale get your order in early.

My dash came from him, beautiful product and so well wrapped I could have chucked it from a first floor window and it wouldn't get marked. Highly recommended.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:14 pm

I bought my S3 elan dash off the shelf at Paul Marty , very nice workmanship and very pleasing

Several years on and it still looks like new.

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm

elanfan1 wrote:I suggest you all give Nick a call here: http://www.nicholas-martin.co.uk

I'm sure he has a lead time so if you need a dash to a timescale get your order in early.

My dash came from him, beautiful product and so well wrapped I could have chucked it from a first floor window and it wouldn't get marked. Highly recommended.

That looks like an option.
I wonder if he has templates?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:49 pm

Yes he does, he's done loads!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chrisbeck » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:39 am

Ian Bond emailed on Friday to say my dash will be ready for collection this Wednesday, I dropped it off to him just before Christmas so no complaints at all.
Chris
1970 Lotus Elan S4 SE
1973 Lotus Europa Special (under restoration)
1990 Morgan +8
chrisbeck
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:07 pm

I think Ian needs somebody to package and send the finished products out. I know Ian, he's a good guy, he's done some great work for me, but he does need to sort this.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: