MOT exemption - recent UK Gov Consultation

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:06 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Roll on Brexit! Maybe we can make our own rules rather than be lead by the nose?

That's more or less what I was going to say, we will be out of the EU before the French/German regulations could take effect so France & Germany can go to H in their own basket.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:19 pm

Long live the silent majority...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gibbon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:46 am

Should people with Spyder chassis being worried about that?
gibbon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:38 pm

We obviously have to wait for some clarification regarding the detail of applying the new legislation, but from direct experience in another Lotus car club, I can tell folk here that whilst the application of the EU Roadworthiness Directive is some other EU countries has been applied far more strictly to date than in the UK, there have been circumstances where modifications have been accepted by the authorities, with these seemingly not being acceptable at first view.

The circumstances that I have been involved with relate to modifications that were formally / officially homologated by the original manufacturer in period. In two instances I have been able to prove (from period factory competition homologation papers) that a specific modification was approved by the manufacturer, & ..... after a struggle .... these modifications have been accepted by the national government authorities, & the cars involved granted normal road legal status (I don't know whether this involved a continuation with the respective testing regimes or not - this was not at issue)

How the Elan 26R homologated factory modifications fit in here, we just don't know right now, but if the reactions of other EU nations are followed, then it would seem that they just might.

By the way, the full introduction of the EU directive is not mandatory, & is a nation by nation decision which the current UK government has chosen to implement, albeit with some "local" interpretations that have not been introduced elsewhere e.g. the power-to-weight clause (I'm not sure that this has been imposed anywhere else in the EU?) For sure France & Germany seem to have been very strict in the implementation, but other countries not nearly so.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:41 pm

This seems to be a last ditch stand to prevent the 'Q' plate imposition for modified cars.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/201721
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:15 pm

Here is a worthy petition in that it asks to stop plans for exempting vehicles over 40 years old from the MOT test.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/200995

The Q plate petition has merit in that it will hopefully underline the continuing interest in modifying vehicles in the great British automotive tradition of producing specials. I?m not aware of any changes that have been made to the current points system.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration ... d-vehicles

Just because the government proposal singles out vehicles that have been ?radically altered? by way of a power increase over original for non exemption from the MOT test does not mean that the current points system for retaining original vehicle identity will be removed. Clarification is needed, but I think that people are jumping to conclusions.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:30 pm

I?ve shared the Q plate petition link with my friends on Facebook, if others agree and share it with their friends it would soon get enough signatures.
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:10 pm

I won't be signing the petition.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:29 pm

the Q plate petition

I have...

John :wink:

to show not the MOT exemption but the Q plate matter......
Last edited by john.p.clegg on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:41 am

JimE wrote:I won't be signing the petition.

Neither will I.

There was a consultation period where Joe Public could send in their views on the options outlined. The government consulted with the restoration industry and IIRC the FBHVC sent in a response as well. They also know that exempting pre 1960 cars from MoTs hasn't resulted in a rash of accidents with pre 1960s vehicles with mechanical failure as the prime cause.

The outcome is what we've currently got and I have no idea if the final decision was based on research, opinions or simply tossing a coin but it's been made. And of course it's spelled out that those who still wish to have an annual MoT for their own peace of mind still can.

The time to object to this legislation was last year before it happened, not now after it's published and a timeline announced.

I think I read in one classic car mag that they had around 2000 responses, from which I'd take as an indication that not many people are bothered with what happens. A petition now is like not voting in the general election and then complaining for the next 5 years about who got into number 10.
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:47 am

I think people may be referring to signing or not signing the Q plate petition rather than the MOT petition.

The MOT thing is done and dusted and doesn?t bother me as I will continue to MOT regardless.

The Q plate petition is a different thing as it appears to some that there may be more stringent regulations coming in under the radar on the back of the MOT exemption criteria. There has been anecdotal evidence of a crackdown on modified vehicles or even just correctly registering a repatriated vehicle or in some high profile cases owners have been asked by DVLA to authenticate their vehicles, the latter generally to do with reconstructed vehicles such as Bugatti?s and other exotic classics built from age related parts and given an age related plate.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:05 am

I took part in the MoT consultation and I think the government response was measured and proportionate. That's over mow and the petition will get nowhere now the decision has been made.

The Q plate or age related plate thing is a different matter and as I hinted ages ago and has now been raised directly the Bugatti Owners Club have been in protracted discussions with DVLA about the authenticity of some Bitsa cars that have got age related plates. For these the.price difference between Q or Age plates could be hundreds of thousands of pounds.

With the current continuous registration regime I can't see the risk of getting a Q plate being high for any car already in the system.
I've just put my Sprint back on the road after a 30 year break so that was pretty SORN and didn't have any issues or request to identify the.
Whether this would be the same for a barn find I don't know, but I doubt it if car has a V5 to transfer.
The big thing in the points system is the chassis/body continuity and here we are aware that the body carries the number not the subframe to which all the mechanicals are attached. Even so same spec replacements are allowed for rebuilt cars, which means we can own up to a change if we want to.

I appreciate that proving the age or provenance of an imported car might be time consuming but I think that it's right and in the end 'truth will prevail'
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:01 am

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/news/uk-government-releases-historic-mot-rules-and-it-s-good-news-1

So it appears that to qualify for MOT exemption you have to register, come the time of your VED renewal (or exemption declaration), the car as a Vehicle of Historic Interest (VHI).

You can still submit for voluntary tests even if declared VHI.

So who will be declaring/exempting?

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:32 am

MarkDa wrote:...so same spec replacements are allowed..

Sorry to cross post - would the Spyder chassis be considered "same spec"?

@Robbie, I will apply for exemption. I'm quite capable of performing most of an MOT test myself (crucially, the safety related parts of the test), although I may MOT it voluntarily, from time to time. I see scope here for a "quick guide to checking a MOT exempt car for road worthiness" in lieu of a proper MOT test.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 am

As I light heartedly suggested elsewhere I doubt that anyone who has only just bought their first Elan would know that the chassis was not original!
Last edited by MarkDa on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: