reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 am

+1
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:23 am

What a great story!

that's a lot of time and miles spent together!

(all the more interesting to me as I have also worked on the Apache and Chinook!)

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:01 am

Great story. I really hope they follow it up with one of their YouTube clips.

Interesting to hear about the 160th Chinook still being in service. I believe Bravo November, the famous RAF (only) Chinook from the Falklands conflict, was still giving sterling service. Just before I left, in '07, there was talk of it being retired to the RAF Museum but with all the things that were going on it couldn't be spared!

Service pilots and their cars! When you are driving from RAF Linton-on-Ouse towards York there is a long stretch of road before the next village. At the end of it there is a very sharp 90 degree turn. Many a student ended up in the field after passing through the hedge. So much so, the farmer didn't bother replanting the hedge anymore! Not even the famed Elan can take that corner with a student pilot heading home for the weekend or on a "promise"! There was another one near the Naval college in Dartmouth called Midshipman's corner. Perceived ability exceeding actual ability.

Regards,

Pete
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:29 pm

I've had my S3 since 1969 a year before him, but I've only done about 200,000 miles.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:30 pm

Nice find!

Thank you :)

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:58 pm

What a terrific story! I can relate although i just keep replacing my Elans. He certainly has the "Touch". At least that's what i call it. Some people know how to drive (or fly) their vehicle without breaking it! It's a feel! Add to that the ability to repair it properly and you have a terrific combination.

I'm going out to the garage. This story was so invigorating! Thank you!

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mwisch » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Nothing fake about this article. It helps that Skip has magic hands when he touches a Lotus. I met him years ago when my Elan was laid up; as a Lotus mechanic I?m a real good lawyer. I saw him on the road and followed him into the airport to talk to him. With his fantastic help my car got running again, and I was the friend lucky enough to go with him to the GGLC meeting at Laguna Seca. He is a great guy, and clearly The Man you want with you on any long distance trip in an Elan. It was a sad day for me and my Elan when I moved cross country. I was surprised the article did not mention the very early S2 Lotus 7 he brought back from bits and pieces and was probably in the hanger in the background of one of the pictures.
Mike
mwisch
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: