FHC decapitate / DHC value differences

PostPost by: Craven » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:46 pm

Door frames with internal chrome pull handles, plain covering on seats are early S3.
Ron.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:15 pm

Chancer wrote:I am confused with the various terminologies being used and am questioning my own understanding.

The car in the picture is a convertible, a ragtop, not a coup? I think we all agree, whats confusing me are the FHC and DHC references, to me the first is an abbreviation of "fixed head coupe", fixed solid non removeable fibreglass roof, DHC to me means "drophead coup?" meaning a ragtop convertible which may have an accompanying removeable hardtop but remains a DHC.

Am I missing something? Or misunderstanding more likely?

I think Lotus used DHC to signify that the rag top is attached to and folds into the body, type 45's are all described by Lotus as such - so the type 45 S3/4 and Sprints are all DHC's, the type 36's of the same models are all FHC's. Type 26's are roadsters as the hood comes off completely and is stowed in the boot.

PS. Type 26's had an OE hard top, but they were never described by Lotus as a DHC.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:29 pm

Sandy,
EDIT: Too confused by what this car is/was! :?

If you could supply any old photos of what you bought (not what you have now) I'm sure that we could help you further.
Last edited by elansprint71 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:31 pm

Sandy has already said it's was originally a S3 fhc with a chassis number starting 36/.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:52 am

Chancer wrote:I am confused with the various terminologies being used and am questioning my own understanding.

The car in the picture is a convertible, a ragtop, not a coup? I think we all agree, whats confusing me are the FHC and DHC references, to me the first is an abbreviation of "fixed head coupe", fixed solid non removeable fibreglass roof, DHC to me means "drophead coup?" meaning a ragtop convertible which may have an accompanying removeable hardtop but remains a DHC.

Am I missing something? Or misunderstanding more likely?

No, you are not confused. Your definitions are correct, but please recognise that DHC and FHC are both coupes, so the car IS a coup?, but of the drophead kind. It is not a roadster.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:23 am

el-saturn wrote:good morning everybody - here we're all up and movin' !! my car was imported as a DHC (36) BUT the local MOT boys immediately registered the car as a convertabile with a removable hardtop. this document is issued once PER car and will never change................................. S O i bought a dhc body off of LOTUS and added a rollcage. My opinion is logical: this car IS registered as BOTH even though its a DHC by birth and due to this IMHO this car would have to be valued accordingly: DO YOU AGREE and what's the difference in value: DHC original vs a FHC cuttoff?? PS: my chassis 4982 is actually a 26 chassis and not a 36, as you can see. sandy

I think reading above that Sandy said it was originally a DHC by birth but with a 36 type number which is a clear inconsistency and source of much of the discussion since.

I appears however he bought a much cut about race car based on a S3 type 36 FHC ( but modified to be a "convertible with removable hardtop" as registered by the swiss when imported?) which he then re-bodied and restored with a early type 45 Series 3 body. to make it effectively a clone of a S3 type 45 while retaining its 36 unit type number

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:27 pm

you're most probably (as australians say) right. it got here as a fhc (maybe the 20th elan) and so far they only homologated dhcs and not finding a constructural (design) difference (which is correct!) between the 2, they gave the 1st fhc a convertabile status "with a hardtop" even though it was evident that the top was an integral part of the body and not an added component!!! .............whatever:my 36 is a 26dhc with a body which lotus supplied as how it was ordered - only statisticians care: US real freaks know what makes the real difference sandy PS - i also luv my 701 LAA block instead of a reg. 6015
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:12 am

Sandy, so have you been able to get a satisfactory answer to your initial query concerning the value differences (chopped FHC v DHC)?
Happy New Year!
Malcolm

PS the long boot hinges, like on your car, fitted to my early FHC need refurbishment, and replacements never seem to come up on eBay. What car did Lotus get them off?
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:50 am

englishmaninwales wrote:
PS the long boot hinges, like on your car, fitted to my early FHC need refurbishment, and replacements never seem to come up on eBay. What car did Lotus get them off?

My early S4 ones are shorter and from a Hilman Imp bonnet hinge of the period (1968) . Where the longer ones from an ealrier Imp version ?? I had three imps including a very early one but I cannot remember if the bonnet hinges were different on that

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:59 am

englishmaninwales wrote:Sandy, so have you been able to get a satisfactory answer to your initial query concerning the value differences (chopped FHC v DHC)?
Happy New Year!
Malcolm

Funny! We've all been so busy trying to figure out what Sandy's car is to answer the question.

The long boot hinges were a one off Lotus casting, on type 26 cars they helped anchor the hardtop when fitted. They are available from a few sources, but possibly only in ali not chromed brass, unless somebody knows different.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:58 am

a bunch of lovely replies: THANKS MATES!! ........yes, these hinges are unique to the elan and evidently no-one else used 'em. looked at individually: AREN'T THEY A PIECE OF ART????? sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:02 pm

Happy New Year Sandy.

I forgot to add early S3's had type 26 boot hinges, till stock ran out I suppose.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:21 pm

Sandy, I think we had figured out what your car was, but you say it's a type 26 DHC. Why 26? You could argue that it's a 36 converted to a 45, but not a 26 at all, surely?
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:40 pm

Mazzini wrote:
The long boot hinges were a one off Lotus casting, on type 26 cars they helped anchor the hardtop when fitted. They are available from a few sources, but possibly only in ali not chromed brass, unless somebody knows different.

Any idea on the sources?
With apologies to Sandy for the blatant thread hijack :D
Malcolm
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear