1967 Watkins Glen Grand Prix

PostPost by: mwisch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:02 pm

Happened upon the Program for this Grand Prix this morning and thought it might make a nice way to say Merry Christmas (perhaps Happy Christmas for our friends across the pond). I was in the bleachers at the start/finish and was surprised to hear Graham Hill grinding gears at times during the second half of the race. Only after the race did I learn his clutch had frozen several times. Jimmy was well ahead when a support on the right rear suspension broke, causing a cant to the wheel which looked terrifying to us. He slowed down for the last two laps but finished 6 seconds ahead of Hill. High drama.
Because of the size of the file, I omitted a few pages, mostly ads but also an interesting essay on Dan Gurney and "The All-American Eagle."
Best to all.
Mike
Attachments
1967 Grand Prix.pdf
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 1341 times
mwisch
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:10 am

Thank you Mike!
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:01 am

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you :D
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:58 pm

Denis Hulme Australia? Kiwis were surely in uproar over that.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:47 am

The rule is Kiwis are Australian when they win. New Zealanders when they loose. :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:10 pm

Got it! :-)

rgh0 wrote:The rule is Kiwis are Australian when they win. New Zealanders when they loose. :lol:

cheers
Rohan
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks Mike, great first post!

I enjoyed the summary of the 1967 season in it, I remember seeing Hulme sliding around Monaco on TV (and the tragic Bandini crash).

It is curious to note that Jim Clark is down as driving a Lotus-BRM like his 1966 car! That was, incidentally, the only GP won by any 16 cylinder engined car. Quiz question!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:44 pm

Are you sure about your 16-cylinder GP win? How about Auto Union's wins 1934 - 37?

Quart Meg Miles wrote:Thanks Mike, great first post!

I enjoyed the summary of the 1967 season in it, I remember seeing Hulme sliding around Monaco on TV (and the tragic Bandini crash).

It is curious to note that Jim Clark is down as driving a Lotus-BRM like his 1966 car! That was, incidentally, the only GP won by any 16 cylinder engined car. Quiz question!
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ivor badger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:17 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:Thanks Mike, great first post!

I still have fond memories of watching Hulme sliding round the hairpins, made rallying look tame. DH is one of my heroes btw..

When bandying about GP questions, the assumption is that they cover F! championship events since 1950, unless otherewise stated. Haven't checked, but I am sure BRM won at Albi with a 16 cylinder, but that was not a World Championship event.
Strangely enough I was looking up Lotus 43s tonight and it may be the only F1 car that won the only race it finished. One also has to be careful about some written or even spoken on current TV information as errors easily creep in through lack of checking or research and then become tablets of stone. Lotus black badges being one.
ivor badger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:37 am

No GPs until 1950? Unless otherwise stated, the French GP of 1906 was the first.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:44 am

RogerFrench wrote:No GPs until 1950? Unless otherwise stated, the French GP of 1906 was the first.

I guess the distinction is between the individual country events that were called Grand Prix races before the 1950 series of events called the Formula 1 Grand Prix that formed an annual world championship series from 1950 onward. Same term but very different competition context

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RogerFrench » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:03 pm

Not all that different. There was a European Championship run to the various formulae devised by the AIACR, forerunner of the FIA. Back then, pretty well all GP style road racing was run in Europe anyway, so the difference is negligible.
The championship ran in the 30s, champions included Caracciola, Rosemeyer, Nuvolari, and they were real Grands Prix. Race distances of 500km or 3 hours minimum, and circuits quite unlike those of today, apart from Monaco. Spa and Monza survive, though very different.
It is a mistake to think GP racing was born with Effwun.
RogerFrench
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:09 pm

I had, indeed, meant post-war F1 GPs, but out of interest just how many races did the 16-cylinder Audis win, most of them were 12s?
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ivor badger » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:17 am

Quart Meg Miles wrote:I had, indeed, meant post-war F1 GPs, but out of interest just how many races did the 16-cylinder Audis win, most of them were 12s?

5 out of 13 in the European championship. Bernd Rosemeyer being the most successful at 3 wins

Now we are really getting of topic discussing Auto Unions on a Lotus forum. ACBC must be rotating in his grave.
ivor badger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:06 am

ivor badger wrote:
Quart Meg Miles wrote:I had, indeed, meant post-war F1 GPs, but out of interest just how many races did the 16-cylinder Audis win, most of them were 12s?

5 out of 13 in the European championship. Bernd Rosemeyer being the most successful at 3 wins

Now we are really getting of topic discussing Auto Unions on a Lotus forum. ACBC must be rotating in his grave.

Chunky was none too pleased having to stuff that overweight and complicated BRM lump 'o bits while he waited for the Cosworth DFV.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: