Storing on a 2 post lift.

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:45 pm

I'm running out of garage space and may have to go multi-storey with what space I have. Best spot is likely to be over the pit so I can't have cables on the floor between towers. That seems to rule out a single post and two post with the floor cables. The question about 2 post lifts is: will an Elan without rotoflexes be fine at full droop to be stored? At least you won't get tyre flat-spotting.
Any other major pros and cons that I may have overlooked?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:25 pm

Since plastics typically "creep" under constant tension or compression which results in a permanent set, I would suggest definately not if held up by the fibergalss "jacking" points. If you can support as close as possible to the axle lines on the steel chassis itself, probably ok. (Steel characteristics totally different) ... Imho.
Or could you make up some channels fitting on the post points to support at the tires?
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:32 am

I would never store an Elan raised on a two post lift. I won't even keep the car on my two post lift over night.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:24 am

jk952 wrote:Since plastics typically "creep" under constant tension or compression which results in a permanent set, I would suggest definately not if held up by the fibergalss "jacking" points. If you can support as close as possible to the axle lines on the steel chassis itself, probably ok. (Steel characteristics totally different) ... Imho.
Or could you make up some channels fitting on the post points to support at the tires?

I would only ever lift it on the chassis, ie the arms would be fully extended and almost touching, but spread to allow balance
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:25 am

Certified Lotus wrote:I would never store an Elan raised on a two post lift. I won't even keep the car on my two post lift over night.

Given the above comment re support on the chassis, what specifically are your concerns? Thanks
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:40 am

If you put the lift arms only on the chassis it would be a better solution but not ideal as you have all the suspension parts drooping over an extended period of time. My comment about not leaving the car on the lift overnight was lifting it on the underside of the body which stresses the fiberglass that is bolted to the chassis.

I went thru the many considerations when putting a lift in my garage. The four post lift was ideal for storage and working on the cars, but only if you bought the attachment that raised the car off the ramp. And it does take up more space.

A two post lift takes up less space and is much more practical if your constantly working on the car. Storage is possible but not really what it is designed for.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Just had a thought. How about making some extensions for the swing out arms with a cup like pad on the end to hold the tires? That way you get the advantage of both lifts. I think it would be hard to over stress a 6 to 9 thousand pound lift, when raising an Elan.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:09 pm

prezoom wrote:Just had a thought. How about making some extensions for the swing out arms with a cup like pad on the end to hold the tires?

I knew that one day I would find a use for all the cardboard and sticky back plastic that I had squirrelled away :lol:
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:41 pm

Graeme

Have a look at the Tool Talk section of this site, there are some discussions on lifts. Like you I went multi-storey primarily for storage and bought a four post lift rather than a 2 post. The main reason I chose a four post lift was because I was not confident that the concrete floor would be strong enough and that drilling the fixing holes would be a problem. Gravity is your friend with a four post lift. The arms of a two post lift act as cantilevers and the car load could pull the bolts out of the floor if not securely fixed.
Last edited by lotusfan on Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:56 pm

lotusfan wrote:Graeme

Have a look at the Tool Talk section of this site, there are some discussions on lifts. Like you I went multi-storey primarily for storage and bought a four post lift rather than a 2 post. The main reason I chose a four post lift was because I was not confident that the concrete floor was not strong enough and that drilling the fixing holes would be a problem. Gravity is your friend with a four post lift. The arms of a two post lift act as cantilevers and the car load could pull the bolts out of the floor if not securely fixed.

Thanks Mike I'll look at that, but your words sound well thought out. I keep trying to convince myself that there's a way to get a car in the air without taking up ground space. ( the roof isn't strong enough and I haven't perfected levitation.)
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:12 pm

Others may not be as fortunate as I am when it comes to installing a two post lift. When I added my new garage, I knew that I was going to eventually purchase a two post lift. Prior to pouring the foundation and floor, I measured out from two different walls, to the point where the lift posts would be installed. I dug down 18 inches by 2 foot square below what would be a 6 inch thick floor. So as not to construct a stress riser, the sides of the holes were tapered out an additional foot. Rebar was installed in these holes and tied to the rebar within the 6 inch floor. I specified a minimum of 5000 pound concrete in my plans. The foundation and floor were designed to support a second floor, if I decided add additional square footage to my home. Currently, they only support a large deck, the size of the garage.

The heaviest car that would be raised on my lift would be my 1954 Nash Healey Coupe at 3200 pounds. The next heaviest vehicle is my 1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero at 2900 pounds. The Plus 2 is the next heaviest, followed by the Sabra Coupe, the Elva Coupe, and the S2.

None of these cars come close to the maximum capacity of my 6000 pound lift. I had three choices, per the installation instruction as to how far the distance the between the posts could be installed. I chose the middle distance as it was the minimum distance I could stand to fit the above cars. The anchors supplied with the lift were designed for the maximum spread between the posts and to support the posts when loaded with the maximum weight. When comes to my vehicles, I believe I am well within the listed capacity. None of these cars requires the extension of the supplied lifting arms anywhere near their maximum extension. Constructing new arms, with a cupped pad at the end to hold the cars tires in place, would not come close to the maximum allowable extension. Thus my thoughts in doubling the usefulness of my lift.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: