Drive It Day, 24 April, Yorkshire

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:02 pm

Just back....a leisurely drive to Glossop to see if there were any bargains at Glossop Rotary car-boot ( pair of planters for the wife for ?5 ),then through Winnats Pass to checkout the same at Hope (started to feel a little chilly ) then off by the River Derwent and over Ladybower and a trip over Strines...never done it before,looks like the road has been re-surfaced recently....in parts :lol: .....via Penis stone,finishing off at Huddersfield Auto Jumble ( another waste of ?2.50 ) then the A62 and by now it was raining,back to the M60 and home.

Spotted...4 MGs and one Mazda? in Lotus colours ( yellow/green)

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sprint4dm » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:41 am

We tagged along with the local MG Club so about 20 cars. Started from Skipton and had a great drive over some very quite moor roads up through Grassington, Conistone across to Wath, Pateley Bridge and a lunch stop at Mackensies Smokehouse. Across Fewston and Swinsty loop North around Harrogate through Ripley and towards Ilkley for a coffee stop. Around 120 miles a bit cold and a few showers but good driving we saw at least 40-45 of other classics out enjoying some spirited driving.
Attachments
img_0001-crop.jpg and
img_0002-crop.jpg and
img_0010-crop.jpg and
Lotus Elan Sprint
sprint4dm
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:16 am

That sounds great.

My father in law and I just went out to Linton for tea. Put in only about 50 miles, but it became a bit boring as it was mostly cyclists everywhere so I spent a lot of the time doing 30.

1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:10 am

Doesn't that make the Elan look tiny!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:39 am

adigra wrote:That sounds great.

My father in law and I just went out to Linton for tea. Put in only about 50 miles, but it became a bit boring as it was mostly cyclists everywhere so I spent a lot of the time doing 30.

Love the colour of your Elan. Is it Wedgewood blue? I'm thinking of painting the Elite that or a similar shade.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:44 am

Yes, Wedgewood Blue. It looks a lot better in person too as it always ends up looking a bit washed out in photos. It has a nice depth to it.

And yes, the Elan is tiny compared to the Cobra. A lot more comfortable though!
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:21 pm

Having owned both (CSX2176), I can vouch for the Elan being much,much more comfortable. Especially with ones advancing age. Plus the Elan is a whole lot fun to drive, but for sheer speed, their ain't no substitute for cubic inches. Nothing like the howl of a 289 at 7,000rpm, in top gear. Got a quick blast yesterday in the Elan, after replacing the original radiator on Saturday, hate those two securing nuts above the rack, with a re-cored unit, and installing new rotors and pads on Sunday morning. Must practice more discipline when bedding new brakes.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: