The Beatles, their song, and an S2 Elan

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:45 pm

Came across this, the connection to The Beatles, and the crashed Elan, and their song "A Day in the Life". Amazing that I never knew that before. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2237213/A-Day-Life-Tragic-true-story-Beatles-famous-hits-revealed-new-book.html

The car itself was Medici blue, it's obviously an S2, but it's a transition car (S 1 1/2) as seen in the pictures. Any known information known on this car like the unit number etc. Knowing it's a transition car narrows down the unit number to within a couple hundred cars I would think.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:40 am

120mph :roll:

Its barely scratched.

I am guessing that he drove under the back of a lorry and took his head off, even the steering wheel looks undamaged and was probably unbollted to remove his remains, the passenger survived, probably uninjured.

Even the bonnet and headlight pods are untouched.

Hand painted Elan?????
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:00 am

Agreed, it he had been travelling at 120mph the passenger would have also died and the Elan would be unrecognisable. More like 60..
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:32 am

The Unit no of his car is not known at this time.

"His 21st birthday party was a lavish affair and he counted Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Paul McCartney and his brother Mike, gallery owner Robert Fraser and John Paul Getty among his friends. He was a sufficiently large influence on Keith Richards and John Paul Getty that both would name sons after Tara.

He was seen with a string of girlfriends including Amanda Lear, who was rumoured to have been born a man, and Suki Potier. Tara was with Amanda Lear in Paris when he introduced her to the artist Salvador Dali and she would go on to be his muse for the rest of his life. I have often wondered if the Paul McCartney painting entitled ?Tara?s plastic skirt? is a veiled reference to Amanda Lear and her rumoured sex change operation.

He was photographed with Suki Potier at his 21st birthday party, alongside Brian Jones, and she would go on to date the Rolling Stones man after Tara?s death and was living with him when he died in 1969. Suki was with Tara at the time of his death and was the passenger in his Lotus. According to her, Browne tried to avoid a car coming straight at him. He swerved to avoid it and crashed into another one trying to save her. Potier claimed Browne was not going particularly fast when he drove down Earls Court Road into Redcliffe Gardens, but independent witnesses at the inquest suggested otherwise and their testimony would appear to be borne out by pictures of the crumpled bonnet and torn-off roof of the sports car.

Little has been made about the occupant of the ?other car? but I wonder if it may have been a certain Paul McCartney? Suki escaped unhurt but would go on to be killed in a car crash in 1981 with her then husband Robert Ho. It is rumoured she forced the car to swerve over a ravine after her husband asked her for a divorce. Tara is known to have experimented with LSD and it has been claimed that he and McCartney had been taking it on the night of his death. Tara was also with Paul McCartney one night around Christmas 1965 when the Beatle was involved in a motorcycle accident and chipped a tooth."

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:43 pm

From this distance it is difficult to say with certainty exactly what happened. I recall from way back that the car was supposed to have gone under the back of a parked lorry; the photos would appear to show that only the driver's half of the car went under. The passenger window is still up and intact. From the second photo it looks like the steering wheel is still attached to the column; I guess it was ripped out in the impact, those large wheels stick up quite a way.
http://peterpsych.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0 ... eting.html

Hope the link works, scroll down a bit and ignore the modern babble.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:36 pm

It looks like the de-acceleration occurred over about 10 ft from when the top of the wheel arch hit of whatever it hit until it stop at the rear of the drivers seat. The passenger if wearing a seat belt would have been survivable at around 60 kmh beyond that I think some serious injuries. The driver clearly suffered more from the impact if he died. The steering column appears to have been ripped loose in the accident along with the destruction of the dash supporting it potentially from the impact of the driver who may not have been wearing a seat belt? or perhaps what the car hit also hit the driver

Dont hit anything in an Elan especially on the drivers side :cry: is always good advice.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:14 pm

lotus-elan-f19/mixing-lsd-and-t14290.html

previous posts on this topic
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:16 pm

From this picture it looks like he got the corner of the truck/van in the chest. That looks like quite a low speed crash (30-40mph tops)
lotus-elan.jpg and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ivor badger » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:00 pm

rgh0 wrote:It looks like the de-acceleration occurred over about 10 ft from when the top of the wheel arch hit of whatever it hit until it stop at the rear of the drivers seat. The passenger if wearing a seat belt would have been survivable at around 60 kmh beyond that I think some serious injuries. The driver clearly suffered more from the impact if he died. The steering column appears to have been ripped loose in the accident along with the destruction of the dash supporting it potentially from the impact of the driver who may not have been wearing a seat belt? or perhaps what the car hit also hit the driver

Dont hit anything in an Elan especially on the drivers side :cry: is always good advice.

cheers
Rohan

Rare thing seat belts in those days, Volvo? Having killed a Mk1 Sprite driver in an almost exactly similar accident, He drove through a give way sign in front of my truck, a Thames Trader with a very high front bumper. There wasn't that much damage to the Sprite, but the bumper basically hit him on the head. There are no under bars in those days, so it's straight into the axle and the platform gets you.

On the other hand, Ian Scott Watson recounted the story of coming round a corner on the road and finding an outsize load across it. I a sure he was in 997NUR, certainly an Elan and it was low enough to get under the load without hitting it. Of course with ISW's eyesight, it might easily have been a straight
ivor badger
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:03 pm

batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:21 pm

I agree 120 mph doesn't make sense and I enjoyed reading the other threads on this subject.

I'm digging the photo from the other post, and have the poster with Jim Hendrix in my garage. If I were to ever to do a wild paint job it would probably be along the lines of Janis Joplin 356!

janis-joplin-porsche-356.jpg and

jimi-hendrix-680x450.jpg and

scn0003.jpg and
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:15 pm

Great stuff folks but God your making me feel old!

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:25 pm

a friend of mine: a joel coplin of chicago, il was one of the artists ........................... janis went to the city, picked up her WHITE porsche, pulled up, went to her crazy neighbors, asked em to come over for the paintjob (i forgot, but think SHE already had everything ready????) and joel + co. modified the car: i met him in kabul 1972!!! he was a psychologist and didn't want to serve: he speaks/spoke urdu, hindi and nepali (?) ------------ just another american genius? he didnt care for cars sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: zsazsa » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:19 am

trw99 wrote:The Unit no of his car is not known at this time.

"His 21st birthday party was a lavish affair and he counted Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Paul McCartney and his brother Mike, gallery owner Robert Fraser and John Paul Getty among his friends. He was a sufficiently large influence on Keith Richards and John Paul Getty that both would name sons after Tara.

He was seen with a string of girlfriends including Amanda Lear, who was rumoured to have been born a man, and Suki Potier. Tara was with Amanda Lear in Paris when he introduced her to the artist Salvador Dali and she would go on to be his muse for the rest of his life. I have often wondered if the Paul McCartney painting entitled ?Tara?s plastic skirt? is a veiled reference to Amanda Lear and her rumoured sex change operation.

He was photographed with Suki Potier at his 21st birthday party, alongside Brian Jones, and she would go on to date the Rolling Stones man after Tara?s death and was living with him when he died in 1969. Suki was with Tara at the time of his death and was the passenger in his Lotus. According to her, Browne tried to avoid a car coming straight at him. He swerved to avoid it and crashed into another one trying to save her. Potier claimed Browne was not going particularly fast when he drove down Earls Court Road into Redcliffe Gardens, but independent witnesses at the inquest suggested otherwise and their testimony would appear to be borne out by pictures of the crumpled bonnet and torn-off roof of the sports car.

Little has been made about the occupant of the ?other car? but I wonder if it may have been a certain Paul McCartney? Suki escaped unhurt but would go on to be killed in a car crash in 1981 with her then husband Robert Ho. It is rumoured she forced the car to swerve over a ravine after her husband asked her for a divorce. Tara is known to have experimented with LSD and it has been claimed that he and McCartney had been taking it on the night of his death. Tara was also with Paul McCartney one night around Christmas 1965 when the Beatle was involved in a motorcycle accident and chipped a tooth."

Tim

I'm trying to retrace my steps in this forum. I also believe Paul McCartney was tied to this somehow. The "Paul is Dead" community believe he died in the fall of 1966. He was driving his dark green Austin Healey, which was supposedly rebuilt. He also had a light green Aston Martin. I found an image of an earlier Lotus Elan on this forum and inquired about it. The poster of the intact light colored Lotus Elan before it had been demolished by Tara. This poster had access of auto licensing information and said the Paul McCartney did indeed own that model prior to 66. I'm only speculating here, but most mentions of McCartney dying are posted with this picture of the Lotus Elan as the car he died in. Some of the clues in music videos show a "White" car as was supposedly a hint to that car. My speculation is that these young guys were all getting fired up about these expensive race cars and in their circles, they may have traded cars or even borrowed them to test drive. I guess that easy to do when you own 3-4 cars. From articles, McCartney had owned at least four different cars before he was 24.

I'm trying to find the thread that I exchanged information with the other poster showing the photo of an intact car and that he had knowledge that the Lotus Elan had belonged to Paul at one time.

In the "Day in the Life",....the lyric that says "nobody was sure if he was from the house of Lords"....had been suggested that in trading or buying cars for Tara, that the license was possibly in Tara's father's name when they were trying to identify the owner of the wrecked Lotus. There are some gaps in this theory.....but some of it does make sense. I don't think we will ever know what John Lennon meant in the lyrics "well I just had to laugh."

The irony? Both Paul and Tara dying in car accidents within a few months of each other. All speculation.
zsazsa
New-tral

Total Online: