Goodwood Revival: Advice for a Virgin Please

PostPost by: 7skypilot » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:03 pm

It is an excellent event, and I've been to most Revivals since it started. The racing is close and the cars excellent.
BUT... it is a lot of money, and I've seen most of the cars, and drivers before at Classic Le Mans, Dijon etc. although each year there is always something really special.

We've usually set up camp at Lavant - early to get a good space by the wire and unrestricted view of a spectacular corner. I've never paid for a grandstand; it's rather good to wander around the circuit.

As a previous contributor has said the 'tax free' car park is exceptional and a car show in its own right. This year I've put my money where my mouth is and haven't bought any tickets but do have a car park permit for all three days. I plan to potter down in an old car, probably the Elan and enjoy the ambience of the event. There are plenty of stalls that are available 'outside' the circuit, the airshow is free and the noise spectacular.

Oh yes, and the 'tax free' parking is free!!! Just apply for it on the Goodwood site as you would for the tickets.

It really is worth getting in early and leaving late. I hope you enjoy is as much as we have.
7skypilot
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Wevster » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:00 pm

I can only agree with what's been said already, I've been the last 5 years, it's a real treat, yes expensive but not when compared to football/concerts. We camp on campsite E, it's closest, you can walk straight into the circuit, and get a free bus back from over the road at the end of the night. It costs about ?200 for 5 of us to camp for the 3 days. Sat/Sun tickets are ?73 ago. I stick the Elan in the free pre73 parking area. Get some smart attire it's definitely worth while. We take plenty of food and drink with us to save costs, however there's a good selection availible track side if you've got plenty of cash!
Oh yeh the racing's great too, especially the saloon car St Mary's Trohpy.

Have fun I'll be there, lookout for a blue and silver +2 with a Guernsey Reg.

Kev.
Attachments
image.jpeg and
Snap shot dress code
image.jpeg and
Goodwood 2015
Wevster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:05 am

Thanks chaps, great advice. Going on the Friday 9th Sep, got a parking spot in the free pre-1975 carpark. Keep an eye for me in the white '67 S3 drophead. T

Not sure what I'm going to wear but I've already picked out the wife's costume :-)

Steve
Attachments
image.png and
My selection for what the wife might wear. We'll see :-)
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Woah! If this is how good the tickets are I'm looking forward to this event . . .
image.jpeg and
Patina'd Period Style Tickets
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Rob P » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:17 am

Stevie-Heathie wrote:Woah! If this is how good the tickets are I'm looking forward to this event . . .
image.jpeg

Just wait until you actually get there, you are going to love it 8)
Last edited by Rob P on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:49 am

Steve,
Weather permitting the S4 DHC will be with you in the car park on Friday (ALH 661H)
Do you have a paddock pass ? (PM me)
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tournesol » Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:30 am

Just a quick reminder that to be able to get in the paddock area you need to wear a tie, any tie would do but you have to wear one....
You will love it, I've been with none car enthusiasts who adored it!!
Tournesol
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:54 pm

I live close to Goodwood and have attended a number of revivals. Agree with the previous comments, but would add that the best racing is to be seen at the Lavant and Woodcote corners. My preferred location is the Woodcote grandstand which is right at the end of the long straight next to the 'Super Shell' building. The cars weaving under braking and the 4 wheel drifts as cars attempt to go around Woodcote are something to behold. A lot of 'action' takes place at this corner. Lavant is a bit of a trek around the circuit (they do run transport) and is an interesting double apex corner, but having rolled an Elan at Lavant it brings back unfortunate memories.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Markweb » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:20 am

Hi I've got 2 spare tickets for the Sunday of the 2016 revival - happy for ?68 each (?73 face)
Last edited by Markweb on Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markweb
New-tral

PostPost by: pereirac » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Get there as early as you can.. By mid day it's heaving and difficult to get around.. But still fun :D
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: adigra » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:40 am

I'm a bit late to the party in this thread. My wife and I will be going again, after a couple of years off. It's the best car event I've been to, and even after many years of going, it never got boring. I highly recommend dressing up as you feel a lot more a part of it if you do. It's the only car event my wife actively looks forward to and plans her outfits a year in advance. She was picked as a best-dressed finalist the last two times we went, which really made it fun. The revival is definitely more of a festival than any other car event I've been to, but which also happens to have some of the best cars racing and on display.

Going in the Elan, of course.
1967 Elan S3 S/E FHC
adigra
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Stevie-Heathie wrote:Thanks chaps, great advice. Going on the Friday 9th Sep, got a parking spot in the free pre-1975 carpark. Keep an eye for me in the white '67 S3 drophead. T

Not sure what I'm going to wear but I've already picked out the wife's costume :-)

Steve

As mentioned above you will enjoy it (and your wife, too, if she wears that costume), but book the extra night and drive into the pre-tax car park on Saturday. We live close by and enter for two days and the do car park the other. I have photos of eleven forum member's cars from there and over 130 different Elans and +2s since 2009; no doubt there were others I didn't see on other days. Here are a couple of forum cars you will see:

lotus-elan-sprint-lyo-243k-134_3102.jpg and
In the pre-tax car park.
lotus-elan-s2-508-uxy-lavant-grrc-tent.jpg and
In the GRRC enclosure near the tent on the Lavant bank.

Hope to see my first white S3 DHC there!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:41 pm

That S1 is very nice. I had a good nose around it at the Members Meeting last month and at Lavant last year.
Say hello. ALH 661H
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:44 pm

Graeme,

661 wrote:That S1 is very nice. I had a good nose around it at the Members Meeting last month and at Lavant last year.
Say hello. ALH 661H

Thanks. All being well we'll be in the same place this year, so see you then :)

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: