Goodwood Revival: Advice for a Virgin Please

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:18 am

Hi all, I'm planning to head to the Revival this September in the S3 with the wife and would appreciate some advice.

Tickets are still available all three days. My preference would be the Friday but I'm worried there will be less going on and less atmosphere. Any thoughts?

Approx what % dress up in period costume? Would like to go for it but if we don't would we be letting the side down?

Is the infield parking really worth ?70? I like the idea of my car being part of the event. But ?70???

Any other tips? Grandstand tickets required?

And finally: any body else from this parish going this year?

Thanks
Steve
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: terryp » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:55 am

Steve
We were newbies last year.
We went on the Saturday but my friend went everyday and he said that there was lots going on all the time.
We dressed up on sixties type stuff and most people dress up. I would say 90 to 95% The people who were not dressed up are the ones that look odd!
We didn't pay any extra for parking (perhaps it's a new thing?) I would imagine with your S3 you would get free parking?
Grandstand tickets would have been nice but certainly not essential.
It's a great atmosphere , makes every other car event you have ever been to pale into insignificance!
Go early and enjoy!
Terry
(Unfortunately not going this year :-(. )
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:51 am

Take lots of cash....... :mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 440HUU » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:13 am

I think you will find that you are asked to pay extra for parking if you want to park on the Lavant Bank or in a designated area inside the circuit. Lavant Bank is I think the premier place to park but the vehicle has to be 1966 or earlier and I would have thought that your car was later unless it is an early series 3
As it is your first time I would suggest that you park without charge in the tax free car park where there will be a bewildering selection of classics. It is absolutely huge and there is plenty to see there. Some would say that the car park is a show within a show and I have heard of some people just going to look at the cars in this car park and foregoing the Revival itself.
440HUU
New-tral

PostPost by: Rob P » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:04 am

This is a great event with some fantastic races to be watched, loads of other entertainment and a must for any Classic car fan.
My son and I attended the 2000 event and we returned year after year until last year when we went to the Members meeting instead. Took the whole family in 2014 and had a super time. Dressing up is really a must to get the full atmosphere and feel part of the event in my opinion.
As previously stated the pre 73 car park is a car show in itself, where else can you find a Morris Minor parked next to an Aston Martin DB5. be careful not to spend too much time in the car park admiring the classics and miss any of the racing.
Whenever we have gone we have gone for the whole 3 days and stayed locally, well within half an hour or so of the track. We always buy a roving grandstand pass for the Sunday only.
If you are going only on the Friday then the on track activities will be qualifying races for the most part, however these are still very entertaining.

Definitely do it, you won't regret it :-)
Simplify and add lightness

Lotus Elan S4 Coupe - Wedgewood Blue
Lotus Elise S1 - Racing Green
Rob P
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:59 am

Yep, another recommendation for the Revival. I've been three times, and that's from Scotland, so not desparately close to me! The racing is terrific and you can walk right round the circuit to watch from different places. You can stroll round the paddock and get close to marvellous racing cars of all types, and see all sorts of famous drivers and celebs. The old-timer planes flying from the centre of the track adds more spice and interest. The off circuit displays and shows are marvellous too. You won't be bored. But do make an effort to dress up. I usually manage a tweed jacket, cravat and flat cap. That's enough.

The biggest issue is accommodation. It's hard to find reasonably priced places within 20 miles of the circuit. I stayed at Gatwick one time, and that's quite a trek.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:09 am

I would second most of what Rob has said - the only other expectation is that:

1) Traffic can be horrendous getting in - early arrival recommended
2) Don't expect the day to be quiet just because it's a Friday !

But enjoy it regardless!

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Yes traffic can be a nightmare. If you can park in Chichester, go to the bus station and hop on the free service to and from the circuit. It is given a special route to get round the jams and is the quickest way to the track. Well, that was a couple of years ago when I last went. I hope it will still be on this year.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:45 pm

Just do it!
Fridays are slightly quieter ( less packed) , but utterly brilliant.
We camp for 4 days in the Estate and have done for years. Queue for the road arrivals is horrid so do get to the pre tax car park ( badge needed this year I believe) early.
Do dress up, nothing elaborate, SS Stormtrooper should suffice.
Friday is practice day but good to watch. I think there may be a dusk race at closing on the Friday.
Personally I wouldn't bother with the paid parking.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:48 pm

Steve,

I have been a couple of times. Dressing up not essential, but a great opportunity for the ladies. I hired a naval uniform from our local amateur dramatic society. Our last revival was with a group of friends from North Yorkshire, we camped for the weekend and really enjoyed ourselves.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:07 pm

me lovely wife wouldn't come, but i've been thinking of it for years. would I also qualify for a free (instead of 70?) parking with swiss plates??????????????? ...................or would MR march be the dude to contact (some royalists may not appreciate the almost derogatory terminology. ......................but it'd be nice to go b4 i start loving y wife TOO much (don't misunderstand me: she's also a superb cook) sandy, just thinking about my unused RIDE alpine greetings from 36/4982 8)
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MyLotus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:17 pm

I have tended many vintage car events, from Mille Miglia to Pebble Beach. Goodwood Revival is in a class of its own! You can read my story on my website at www.auto-historia.ca . Go to STORIA, INDEX and click on Goodwood Revival. A few pointers at the end of the article. If you want more, you can email me at [email protected]. I?travelled from Canada. Enjoy!!
Alain
Alain Raymond
1970 Lotus Elan S4
www.auto-historia.ca
MyLotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:33 pm

My Goodwood dressing up jacket from the last century is now my best going out jacket in France :lol:

The Inside Pocket still contains my tickets from 2001, the last time that I attended, I keep saying I will take some French enthusiasts over one year.

Go on, shock me, how much are the tickets now?
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stevie-Heathie » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:36 pm

Tickets for Friday are ?51 for general entry, and they get more expensive as the weekend goes on . . .
1967 S3 SE DHC
1970 +2S (RIP - went out in a blaze of glory in 2001)
Stevie-Heathie
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:14 pm

Stevie-Heathie wrote:Tickets for Friday are ?51 for general entry, and they get more expensive as the weekend goes on . . .

Excellent value compared to a similar price for 90 minutes of premiership football !!
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: