Wet Christmas

PostPost by: The Veg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:19 pm

Down here in southeastern USA we're in the midst of several days of rain, with a few storms thrown into the mix for good measure thanks to unseasonably warm temperatures (70F+ today!). Tornadoes are usually reserved for spring and early summer, but they're a small possibility now. I've also been hearing the toadfrogs in the creek out back the last couple of evenings, which is also generally only a springtime thing. I hope the poor buggers coming out of hibernation at this point doesn't catch them short when the cold returns. So far the creek has stayed well within its banks, which I'm glad to see as this rain-pocalypse is its first real hard shakedown after the county re-engineered it a few months ago.

What does any of this have to do with Lotus? I got my Plus 2 a couple of weeks ago, and during this four-day holiday weekend I was going to do the work it needs to finally be road-worthy, barring any nasty surprises discovered after those repairs. I've got the required parts at hand and have mentally planned what I need to do. But as I don't have a nice dry garage to work in, the weather has been the nasty surprise and I'm a bit bummed about it. If I'm lucky, Saturday will be dry enough. We'll see, but the chance of precipitation picks back up a little on Sunday. Keep fingers crossed.

But there's a silver lining in this too: while I might not be able to tinker with the car, I still have two paid holiday-days to add to the weekend, and paid days-off beat working regardless of what I can do with them! :mrgreen:

So I wish you all a dry Christmas, and get those cars out and enjoy them for me if you can!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:53 pm

The Veg wrote:I've also been hearing the toadfrogs in the creek out back the last couple of evenings, which is also generally only a springtime thing. I hope the poor buggers coming out of hibernation at this point doesn't catch them short when the cold returns.

The same weather system is passing through the northeast, but without the tornados. Yesterday I found cherry trees in bloom on the Boston Public Garden. While we don'e always have snow by the time of Christmas Eve I am worried about excessive tree damage when the snow does arrive. I hope to spend a fair amount of time with the +2 over the next few days as well. Merry Christmas to all.

Russ
Attachments
img_0785.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:05 pm

Looks like I may be getting my wish for a break in the weather! Had about an hour yesterday in which I got some settling done, and while I was out there the UPS man came by with the new Odyssey battery to replace the fried lead-acid one the car had in it.

This morning the rain stopped shortly after sunrise. Being the decadent bachelor the I am, I'm about to tuck into a nice yummy pizza for breakfast then get out there gain and see if I can't get some Elan repairs done! If I'm successful I should be driving it by sunset!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Yesterday I went for a drive in the Elan with the top down in bright sunshine & 14Deg. C weather. This is in SW Ontario where the temp this time of the year should be around -4C. I've never been driving the Elan this late in the year with the top down. Same problem here as in the Eastern USA with the buds on the trees starting to swell.
Merry Xmas to all & a great Lotus New Year.
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jk952 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:31 pm

There was a guy boating on Lake Couchiching the other day; maybe he figured easier to use his boat than snow machine to get his ice fishing hut into position on the lake. :) (A bit further north than Keith in Ontario).
Hey beats the last two years where the lifetime localer's said they'd never seen so much snow and cold (that stayed from Dec. to spring)!

Likewise Merry Christmas / Seasons Greetings to all.
Cheers,
Jack
jk952
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:31 am

.........................same problem here in the alps: it was 15?C here yesterday. as we did yesterday, we'll be having breakfast on our balcony: it should be minus 5 - 10 and should have at least 1ft. of snow: HOWEVER i'll be on the road (4982) in 2 to 3 hrs: MERRY XMAS and enjoy the sun, if available! sandy
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: