Bubbles!

PostPost by: a d price » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:54 pm

Has anybody tried one of these carcoon/airchamber bubbles. Are they any good
Thanks
a d price
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ken ob » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi there, i have used both an 'air chamber' and a 'cair o port'.
Both work well for me inside my garage.
The car comes out of 4 or 5 months storage spotlessly clean and with absolutely no sign of condensation.
The air chamber frame was very flimsy - the plastic poles and joints were fragile and broke if you weren't very careful.
The Cair o Port has metal poles and joints so appears to be much more robust. ( it also has 3 fans rather than the 2 of the air chamber )
The Cair o Port is discounted via Club Lotus.
I have no connection to either company.

Ken
Slightly confused by everything since the invention of the wheel.
ken ob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 pm

I have a car Capsule for my Elan. The smallest size is a bit big for the diminutive Elan.

Works well. No frame. Just roll the car onto the bottom zip up and inflate. The pressure is sufficient to isolate the car from being bumped or having things dropped on it. I got it to avoid the rampant mice that we have in the countryside. They were taking up residence behind the dash and in the driveline tunnel.

Good for storage, periods of non use. Not that convenient for everyday. But I believe they make another model (rather pricey) that you inflate such that it stands up and you can drive in/out zipping behind you.

For rodent problems the capsule was a good solution. Regular car cover of no use - in fact seemed to encourage them. Also kept dust out. No condensation issues either but we are rather dry here anyway. There is a filter on the air pump.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:30 am

I use an outdoor Carcoon which has been very good.
I've been very impressed with its performance and, although it is partly protected by outbuildings, it has withstood really strong blustery winds and the vehicle remains safe inside.
The vehicle inside has remained perfectly dry and there is also a zipped vent if you wish to dry a damp vehicle.
The only hassle is due to its frameless constructio you need to allow the cover to deflate onto the car before you can uncover it... not a problem, perhaps use a cotton cover if you are concerned above damaging the paintwork?
(still better than the damage that a collapsing frame could do if there was one?!) :shock:
I have no connection to the manufacturer of the Carcoons.

Mark.
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:10 pm

Probably should be a new topic but I live on a farm so lots of experience with mice. Abundance of food stuff for the little vermin.

The last few years I have been storing my cars by parking them with four 'Bounce' dryer clothes softener sheets under each wheel. Also stuff them anywhere that might look like a access point and toss a couple in the foot well's and add a product called 'Clean Cab' that is commonly used to keep vermin out of farm machinery.

No problem's but I do own a Miata from before I began doing this that has been "moused". After tearing the car apart and cleaning extensively the odor is still faintly there. I imagine I'm stuck with the car till its junk because of the filthy little beasts.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:49 pm

I have a motorbike that lives outdoors under a cover, and have found mothballs to be quite effective for animal deterrence. I get the ones that come in a perforated pouch, but if those are not available and old sock will do too, just tie a knot in the top after pouring in the balls. I just leave a pouch on the seat then put on the cover. The smell doesn't linger on the bike when the cover comes off, thank goodness! In my neighbourhood we have mice, chipmunks, squirrels, possum, birds, toads, stray cats, probably moles too, and every manner of insect- and as yet nothing has taken up residence under the cover.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:37 pm

I've had an airchamber for about 18years. Brilliant. No problems with it. I find the frame is robust enough, in fact when manoeuvring down the side of the car it's quite good to be able to push a pole outwards to get past it.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: