wanted adds in club mag

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:29 pm

I Wonder what you think should be allowed in Club lotus Mag wanted adds.
Imho i find it strange that someone can put 5 wanted adds in the same mag issue out of 17 total adds (29.41%). Saying they are looking for any Lotus no matter the condition. I would have thought that 1 add per subject per person is more correct in a Club Mag
Last edited by alan.barker on Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:11 pm

depends on how much cash they give.........
I doubt theyve got it for free so it they want it in 3 times and pay 3 times the price then why not......
the mag never refuses money Id guess......
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:29 pm

imho if Professional people/garages put a professinal add no problem but this is someone who has puts Professional add + 3 adds in wanted which are not said to be a professional. I really do not feel this is fairplay.
I prefer not to give the name of the person but i am sure many others have seen this also
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:25 pm

The full trading name of "Club Lotus" is Club Lotus Limited.

Please draw your own conclusions.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:13 pm

does Ltd give the right to not be transparent or to have limited transparency.
Sorry if i have ruffled some peoples feathers but i say what i think.
I have been in Club Lotus or if you like Club Lotus Ltd for many years and Lotus cars for a lot more 40+ years.
I still do not think it is correct for professionals to masquerade as non professionals but i suppose thats the way things are in reality.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:02 pm

I concur but it was the same in Arnold's time too.
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:37 pm

You haven't ruffled my feathers and I doubt you have ruffled anyone else's

I like Club Lotus, I have been a member for quite a few years. The magazine is a good read and I have had a few articles published. Alan Morgan has helped me with correctly re registering one of my cars. It's not perfect , but what is?

The club is not run as a charity or not for profit. I don't see anything wrong with that.

I know exactly whom you are referring to and the plethora of adverts purporting to be from "collectors".

I don't think any real subterfuge is being used, I know some will disagree, but are those that disagree people that have been hoodwinked, or people that are indignant over the direct method of touting to purchase cars that somebody may be thinking of selling?

I would never sell any vehicle I own to an advert such as the ones you are referring to, i would much rather promote it and sell it for what its worth, but not everyone is a salesman and middlemen are useful to some.

I'm sure most people recognise these are not private adverts, what does it matter if a few people sell their cars in this way? Did they get a bad deal? What do you know?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gherlt » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:39 am

Hello,
I would say that in the Club Magazine the professionals do not masquerade as privates.
Simply they are not differentiated. And that is what missing.
In other webs and magazine, professional classifieds are marked as such, german car magazines put an "H" on the lower right corner in those classifieds.
I would have not problem with 10 classifieds from the same professional. Others and me could be interested in what he offers.... and he pays for them (I suppose). That is income for Club Lotus, and therefore good for the privateers (as me). Costs for anything (magazinem paper, shipping, personell) goes up and up, so they need more and more income, if they get from adverts, thats fine for me. Alternative would be raise membership suscription ...

Differentiation is the way to go ...
Greetings

Guillermo
1964 S1 (at paint shop)
1967 S3 DHC
1969 S4 FHC (at BB's home)

https://theelanman.com for details on Brian Bucklands book.
https://shop.lotus-books.com for more Lotus related books.
We ship worldwide. PM/Email me.
gherlt
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:00 am

hi Gherlt,
yes i think you are 100% right, if adds by professionals had "trade" or "T" noted it would be clearer
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:49 am

Alan funnily enough I was reading the mag yesterday I presume you mean VH they are everywhere. I just hope they are paying owners a fair price when you see some of the asking prices ?
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:25 am

elansprint wrote:Alan funnily enough I was reading the mag yesterday I presume you mean VH they are everywhere. I just hope they are paying owners a fair price when you see some of the asking prices ?
Ian

thanks, you're on the button +1
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:32 am

It`s not so much differentiating between trade and private as the phrase "private collector seeks" or whatever. It`s a clear, dishonest, attempt to encourage someone to part with their pride and joy, thinking it`s going to a good home.
I have spoken with this person in the past who seemed straightforward enough but, like many I imagine, would be very reluctant to deal with anyone so disingenuous.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:39 am

Jimi +1 also Yes like i said masquerading
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes a well known esprit buyer is doing just that I thought any press adverts legally had to be marked as trade
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:25 pm

hi,
just to be clear the thread or blog is my own idea . Please read following:

Under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, businesses must not mislead consumers about their status.
In many cases, it will be obvious to the consumer that the seller is a business. For example, the seller may have placed a large display advert in a newspaper, or the advert may include a business name.
Where it is not obvious that the seller is a business, then this fact should be made clear. In small ads, it is common for this to be done by using the word 'Trade' at the end of the description of the goods. If the publication provides readers with a key to abbreviations, then it may be acceptable to use the abbreviation 'T' at the end of the description to indicate that you are a trade or business seller.

Looks like Club Lotus and VH are in breach of the regulations, there is also a clause on there about adverts must not be misleading which the Private Collector seeks - clearly is a blatant misrepresentation.

As is noted on the front page of Club Magazine quote "Free to comment congratulate or criticise"

Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: