europa tc

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:07 am

hi all

I've been told that the tin cam engine fitted to the europa was not the same as the elan/plus 2...

can anyone confirm? if different, in what way?

thanks

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:36 am

The inlet cam shaft was longer and ran out the rear of the head / cam cover through a seal replacing the rear half moon plug and sandwiched between the cam cover and head. The back end of the cam carried a pulley for an alternator that mounted on the bell housing replacing the the front mounted alternator. The water pump was driven by a fixed length belt off the crank pulley as a result.

The front chain cover had the water inlet to the pump facing forward rather than going out the side. This made connection to the pipe through the chassis backbone easier.

These mods were basically required to enable the engine to clear the arms of the chassis at either side of the engine at the front.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:38 am

Rohan has pretty much covered all the differences, most of which are simple bolt on parts, but just to clarify, the seal which replaces the 'D' at the back of the head is not just a simple replacement, there is a groove machined into the head (& the cam cover) to hold a traditional oil seal, this has to be filled if you are wanting to fit the normal 'D' for use in a front mounted application. Just so happens I've recently fitted a Europa head to my friends S3 elan. We used a chemical metal filler which seems to have done the job & then used an elan cam cover & std 'D'.
Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:05 am

I use a Europa head and cam cover on mine as well. A friend molded a modified D plug for the head, and the cover has a machined aluminum D plug.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanconvert » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:28 pm

thanks all for the info.......seems they are swappable with a bit of modification!

:D fred :D
'Never give up!....unless it's hopeless.....'

1970 S4 dhc big valve
1973 Ginetta G15
1967 Ginetta G4 [sadly now sold]
1959 lotus elite type 14
Elanconvert
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: