document reliability

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:07 am

Dave Hodges book' Lotus the Legend' has 97 of s1/s2 cars built in 1964 on page 32?,If they were homologated in 1964 then a certain number of cars must have been built in 1963 ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:41 am

I like to read Lotus Elan.net hoping to learn a thing or two, maybe even contribute now and again. I like it, people are so helpful.
I don`t like people with issues making abrasive remarks.
Incidentally, the term "Chinese lights" I believe relates to cars with pop up lights held slightly open. It became very popular, ironically, in Japan on Mitsubishis and Toyotas. The faired in lights on some 26Rs are illegal for road used in the UK. The whole point of the Elan`s headlights being pop-ups, and The MK1 Sprite having their`s mounted on the bonnet, was to meet the minimum height legislation.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Dave,

If this archivist, Peter B is the same person who at one time held records for Lotus single seaters, the correct spelling of his name was "Brand". I corresponded with him trying to trace my Lotus 20/22. His records were given to Andrew Ferguson and eventually confiscated by Classic Team Lotus. Both Peter and Andrew are no longer with us I suppose if we're going to trust anyone's documents on Lotus race cars, Classic Team Lotus is probably as good as we could hope for. I just wish they were more interested in some of the plebian cars built by Lotus Components.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:03 pm

Hi Roger
I did say it was Peter Brand. Steve put him down as P Broad.

I have a copy letter from him dated 18th Sept 1984.

The only person who does not acknowledge his existence is Ed.
Cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:21 pm

Ed
I think I am going to approach this the way I reason with my grandchildren, ONE STEP AT A TIME.

Do you agree that Peter Brand was the archivist for the Lotus factory in the 80's as confirmed by other members here and members of staff from the Lotus factory.

Yes or no?
Dave
next question will follow when this is answered.
Last edited by bigvalvehead on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:55 pm

I IMy letter was sighned john Hostieler I have never met or delt with your man My primary comment was ,anyone in possession of Lotus production records did not get them legally or from Lotus factory willingly so they are suspect having been ?out in the world .......don't try the confusion to discredit the opponent game ..I suspect large amounts of money are changing hands using them .and one step at a time suits me ?.and btw Im NOTuinder cross examination here ..Ed

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:32 pm

twincamman wrote:I IMy letter was sighned john Hostieler I have never met or delt with your man My primary comment was ,anyone in possession of Lotus production records did not get them legally or from Lotus factory willingly so they are suspect having been ?out in the world .......don't try the confusion to discredit the opponent game ..I suspect large amounts of money are changing hands using them .and one step at a time suits me ?.and btw Im NOTuinder cross examination here ..Ed

But you do seem to be getting a bit cross!
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:45 pm

?.sorry
Last edited by twincamman on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Ok Dave ?when I first brought this piece of junk home as a retirement exercise both my chum who has a s1 elan and I who were curious about this body style all we knew was the car was raced at Mosport in the early 70s in sports production by Willy Gobliz. I was with a Fiat and the Elan was back in the pack so we ignored it . I sent a picture and e mail to Paul Matty as to ?do you know of these cars ? the answer came back it was a Shape craft , So when you requested pictures of shape craft cars I sent you a pic and have been ridiculed for it for years . since 1972 I buiult and raced n FF. FV . F5000 [only 5 laps they are too much car for me ] I dont need dying that bad and an MGB . I have restored a 60 bug eye an 70 Europa an 80 Mini built and drive an 84 Caterham 7 I built and this Elan. I have owned and driven Alphas many Fiat 124 spyders an one scirocco and have delt with many enthusiast and have never run into the elitist attitude exhibitied here by a few . so back off and lets start again ??ed
Last edited by twincamman on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:02 pm

So you are unable to offer an opinion, is that correct?
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:04 pm

Ed
Ok I'm fine with starting from scratch.
I am only offering up hard evidence as you so often request.

I think i'll leave it at that and get on with my life.
Cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:09 pm

I have no oppinion I dont know the man my dealings with lotus were with a John hostieler and I cant type that fast ?ed
Last edited by twincamman on Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:13 pm

in 2004

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:27 pm

Ed,
We already agreed, years ago, that your car is not a Shapecraft, yes? Shapecraft made a very few cars, all with an added alluminium fast-back hard-top; yours does not have this.

The chassis number which you chose to interpret from some pencilled-on unclear marking is, unfortunately for you, the unit number of one of the most provenance-worthy 26/R cars; the only Lotus factory rally car; this car has provenance from day one until the present. A member of this forum worked on the conversion (in period) from rally to race car.
You car differs from 26/R spec in numerous ways, not least the grille and plenum chamber in front of the windscreen, present on yours but not on a 26/R body and LHD configuration was never an option. Your car has no provenance, the letter you have from Lotus says "it looks like a 26/R" the person who wrote that letter does not seem to be a long-term staff member at the company.

For the sake of historical accuracy, would you be willing to contact the current owner of the other car with the same number as you claim to have?
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:35 pm

Looks like Ed has gone. Don't know if he finally pushed too many buttons or walked the plank himself!

twincamman

The requested user does not exist.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: