Updating V5 document.

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:43 am

I've read up the posts on this subject as I am nearly at MOT stage. The car has been off the road since 1980. It appears that the first step is to apply for a V5C whilst noteing any changes.
Changes to my vehicle are:
Address.
Taxation class.
Colour.
Engine number.
Engine capacity.
The difficult one would appear to be engine capacity. The DVLA website states that to support this change you require an engine receipt, or written evidence from the engine manufacturer, or an inspection report for insurance purposes, or written confirmation from a garage if the change took place prior to purchasing the vehicle.
Since my engine is a DIY tall block conversion I can't provide any of the above. I did think of ignoring this change but caution tells me that these things become important if the car has an accident or is stolen.
Has anyone been down this route?
Dougal.
Last edited by dougal9887 on Sat May 30, 2015 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat May 30, 2015 8:29 am

I agree, this engine change business is very difficult for the home mechanic. However, the DVLA web site does say that a letter from your local garage on their headed paper confirming that the engine and number are as you say should be sufficient.

I have just put my Elan Sprint FHC back on the road after it lay unused since 1977. But I had a V5c and so was able to do the business in the Post Office regarding the change of taxation class. They note the change and send the document off for you. That was four weeks ago and it hasn't returned yet, but I'm told that isn't unusual. In the meantime, the DVLA web site still tells me my car isn't taxed for on the road use. The only proof I have is a small printed slip from the Post Office. It is a MOST inefficient system.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:32 am

OP your first task is to apply for an MOT. Once you have that you can apply for an up to date V5C with if I recall correctly a V62 which you can download. Probably the most stress free way of getting all these changes noted at the same time would be a letter from Club Lotus. Alan Morgan is very helpful in this regard.

The MOT system might not be able to recognise your registration no as it isn't live on the DVLA system and so the mot would be done on the chassis no. as a temporary measure. Don't forget your agreed value insurance.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:45 am

Thanks for the replies.
I phoned DVLA this morning and apparently I have to do the whole V 765, V55/5, photos, evidence, owners club validation to get a V5C, since they don't have my car on their system. DVLA are sending out the forms. I'll speak to Club Lotus about the validation bit. Sounds like another delay :( .
Mike, as an aside it seems I'm not so far from you near Helensburgh.
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:55 am

Do ou know the original registration no or is this a complete re register?
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:24 am

I don't believe you need to get an MOT before applying for a V5C, I certainly didn't have one, but of course you cannot get it done at the local post office. My S2 hadn't been on the road since 1976 and, of course, DVLA had no record of it. I did have a remnant of an old V5, plus a letter from Lotus (Andy Graham) avowing to it's identity and build date, plus a photocopy of the VIN plate, plus a completed V62 and they still took 6 months to get it right. Including losing all the paperwork after 3 months and denying they had ever received my application. The fact that I had received a letter from them and two emails seem to have alluded them. Agree totally they are a very inefficient service these days, particularly so since they closed the area offices.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:48 am

If you knew the quality of some of the staff they employ there you'd soon realise what a battle the management have on their hands I'm sorry to say this about my compatriots but at the grunt end of the pay scales there they are either as thick as ... Or they just don't care as long as they have shifted a piece of post off their desk. Unfortunately I used to go out with one of the PNC operators there and they were targeted on the no of keystrokes they made per hour if I recall correctly it was something like 15000. You can just imagine why accuracy went out of the window.

With the DVLA now actively fining people for not sending in change of address and such like you can well imagine that an inaccurate V5C will be your fault and you'll be the one fined when it is found out. They are quite honestly not fit for purpose.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:35 pm

Yes I have a registration number and V5, but as the record was never moved to the current system, a V62 won't do.
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sat May 30, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi Dougal, no you're not far away. I'd come up and see you, except that I have my Sprint in bits again as it has a leaking heater matrix, and an oil leak at the rear of the engine which is dripping onto the exhaust downpipes - not ideal. I've no idea where the oil is getting out. I just want to USE the thing! :(

As far as the Club Lotus valuation goes, mine came back by return of post, so hopefully there won't be a long delay for you either. My car was known to the DVLA, and when I bought it in 2011 I got a V5c from the PO which I immediately sent in for change of ownership. However it was still listed as not licenced, and at the MoT station it didn't come up on the computer from the reg number. The guy had to enter the car's details from a list of types and append the reg no. to it. The DVLA check shows that the test has been registered, but it is still shows "Not taxed for on road use ", even though it really is. It was on the 1st May that I went to the Post Office and applied. I'm told it regularly takes six weeks.

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat May 30, 2015 4:00 pm

dougal9887 wrote:Yes I have a registration number and V5, but as the record was never moved to the current system, a V62 won't do.
Dougal.

So whoever you spoke to was talking through their hat! Which is not unusual as elanfan1 mentioned.

If you have a V5 you simply fill in the details and send it to the DVLA as you would for any other car. It doesn't matter how old the V5 is, or if it is in your name (just fill in change of keeper details if not). No other forms are needed - No V62 or V765 and it is FOC.

To have a V5 it has therefore, by definition, at some point, been "On the computer". It was on the road in 1980, therefore it was on the computer - It was only cars that were off the road when the DVLA went computerised, and didn't apply for a V5 before the cut-off in 1983 that were not on the computer. The current system has nothing to do with it! The DVLA archived a load of inactive records so they will have to unarchive yours when you send the V5.

The only other thing I would do in your situation is to get a certified copy of your V5 so that when they or the postman lose it. you have another one to send.

This is a government agency. The V5 is an official document. Send them the a V5 or a V5C and they will send you back a new one... for free... The Law says so!

Regarding your other concerns:
You don't need an MOT to get a V5. In fact it is easier if you have a V5 before the MOT so that the tester can find the car on the system
When you send off your V5 to get a V5C you will need to declare SORN
Get the V5, Then get an MOT, Then promptly notify the DVLA of the engine change - Don't do all at once, the poor darlings get confused and suspicious.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:19 pm

I think the DVLA term it a dormant record. If you have a V5 do as Simon says!
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sat May 30, 2015 4:44 pm

One other reason that they may not have been able to find it on the system:
The old log books were hand written ie by Humans who could interpret things.

On the V5 there is a field for Make and another for Model/Type. When the records were computerised they took the detail from the old record and entered it in the field on the computer.

So if the original human wrote Make "Lotus Elan" and then left the Model blank, this will have been transferred to the computer record, and you will need to enter "Lotus Elan" as the make in the vehicle enquiry screen. Here:
https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

The computer cannot interpret, and is expecting to see exactly what is written next to the Make field on the V5.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:37 pm

Hi,
Thanks for all the advice.
I'll get a certified copy, and send off the original and see what happens.
Actually, the V5 doesn't mention Elan at all! Model is shown as "2-axle-rigid body coupe".
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:29 pm

Just to tidy up this thread, I eventually did get a V5C back from DVLA. It took them 11 weeks however.
MOT and road tax no problem thereafter.
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Glad to hear it Dougal. They only took five weeks to return my documents when I applied for Historic Vehicle status. I've sent it off again now for a change of engine number. I haven't changed the engine - it was incorrectly recorded and I thought it ought to be right. Heaven knows what can of worms that will open!

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: