Cautionary tale.

PostPost by: dougal9887 » Fri May 29, 2015 7:16 pm

I recently posted photos of rear calipers which had been professionally reconditioned. Unfortunately one turned out to have a leak under pressure. The company asked for it back for a look. I packed it up and sent it 1st class parcel post. BIG MISTAKE. Posted 19th May, due to be delivered 20th, still not received by the company 28th! I by then realised that I had committed an almost irreplaceable item to a worthless service. By good fortune, and after a week of angst, the parcel was delivered. Leak now resolved and due back to me on Monday. Lesson learned - USE A TRACKED SERVICE. (Maybe I'm the only ignoramus in this respect!)
Dougal.
dougal9887
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat May 30, 2015 5:25 am

For low value items you can obtain a "proof of posting" certificate from the post office in the UK when you're posting anything from a letter upwards and they'll expect to see one if you make a claim.

I don't know the current limits but in the past the maximum compensation for some postal services was quite low, so if it's something that's expensive you might need to consider a courier instead. IIRC the faster tracked services have higher values ?

IMO the modern tracking service is quite good. You can check on-line to see if it's been delivered and even the scrawled signature if you wish. That can be handy if the company you're dealing with is a little on the slow side to respond and claims "it hasn't arrived yet mate"......

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Sat May 30, 2015 8:55 am

If you use one of the internet based services like www.interparcel.com or www.transglogalexpress.co.uk a mainstream courier will collect from your door the service is traceable and for an item like a caliper will be cheaper than post
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:24 am

Royal Mail tracked is not what you assume it only records at the office of posting and at the recipients end -there is no tracking in between. If you want that you need Special Delivery which can be expensive.

Interparcel as mentioned above record packages being collected and as passing through various hubs, when on the van for delivery and once delivered at the door. They have never lost an item of mine (unlike Royal Fail and yes it was a tracked item) cheaper and collect from you too. Their website offers you a great choice of service express, same day or standard, insurance etc I've been impressed (650+ eBay feedbacks),
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:42 pm

Thanks for the tale, Dougal, and very happy for you that the caliper showed up.

Note to self: don't trust parts to those who don't care.

A couple years ago I entrusted the top cover for one of my matched period Webers to a colleague who then passed it on to a neighbor/welder for a repair. Man, did I sweat that one - till it eventually came back to me beautifully done.

Live and learn . . . just hopefully not always the hard way :mrgreen: :roll:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: