The LOUTS, LOTUS and the Great River

PostPost by: nomad » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:50 am

Ross, I'm rolling on the ground over the skunk!! :shock: :lol: Been there etc!

There's a song about that you know!

Lotus cars are supposed to have quick enough steering to avoid things like that!

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:12 am

Still laughing!! "You don't have to look and you don't have to see you can feel it in your olfactory!!" :D

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:22 pm

Ross, I hope I didn't seem too gleeful about the skunk. It's one of those little happenstance's that make a road trip the adventure that they are!

Still envying that adventure!

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:51 am

Since nobody seems to care about this trip except Kurt and we can email each other, this will be my last post here.Got the new starter in and both cars are running well as we have two more days to go to New Orleans. We are in Vicksburg, MS and faced rain but it was short so we waited it our under a canopy at the hotel here. Onward tomorrow. I think we'll make it just fine.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SF69Elan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:34 am

Hi Ross, I've been enjoying your updates. My Elan is in the shop, so reading posts of other Elan owners enjoying their cars and figuring out how to address challenges on the road is keeping me going until I get it back and get out on my own in another few weeks.

Thanks,
Rich
"What kind of a man are you? Don't you even like dolphins!?" - Zorba the Greek

69 Elan S4/SE DHC
66 Ford Mustang Conv. (289ci)
71 Cadillac Eldorado Conv. (8.2L)
65 Buick Wildcat Conv. (425ci)
And a pickup truck full of Miatas....
SF69Elan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:13 am

"Since nobody seems to care "
Ross, don`t say that, I`m sure many of us are very interested in your trip. I certainly am and would have loved to come but for 2 things; one, we don`t live near you, and two, you didn`t invite us.
Keep posting.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:50 am

This is book material, you know :) I enjoy reading these posts and awaiting the unabridged version.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:33 pm

Yes Ross, don't confuse lack of response with lack of enjoyment of your posts. I for one am delighted at the scope of your trip.

Keep the write-ups coming !

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Ross, 863 views! There's lots of interest, envy and pride. Whenever I am in Annapolis and drive by the crab shack that we went to on your trip to dip your toes in the Atlantic Ocean, I smile at the memory. I used to live in Memphis and smile when I think of the looks you must be getting as you drive through. Enjoy the journey. You have a lot of people riding alongside you. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:12 pm

I agree with the group, Ross, keep the updates coming. Personally curious as to whether you get to see the river that far south. I've never been there and would expect that unless you have a road running along the top of a levy the river is out of site.

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kpcseven » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:15 am

Ross,
Please do keep the posts coming, or at the least give a good summary, when safely done and you have more time. I've said it before, your trips are an inspiration.
Ken
kpcseven
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:18 pm

Well we are in New Orleans and the cars are doing great other than using a bit of oil. All the high speed running is wearing the little buggers out :D I thought nobody was watching since it was all quiet on the western front, but I guess I was wrong. Mea Culpa :oops: We have had some great stops and when I get a chance I will post some photos but we are more tired than the cars...but then we are even older!

The Elan has a weak spring on the driver rear so we keep scraping the muffler (silencer) on the dips and over rail tracks because it is sitting too low. We transferred one bag to the rack on the Seven and moved some other stuff to the space behind the seats where the jackets and fleeces were, putting that light stuff in the boot, then exchanged a 200+ pound person for a 150 pound person and things seemed to be better. Maybe we only gained a quarter inch of clearance but it was enough.

We were on Bourbon Street til midnight last night so that is all for now. I promise a lot more sometime after we get home this coming weekend.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Thanks Ross. Lots of us reading and enjoying your trip, though vicariously.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:37 pm

Well we made it!!

I just wanted to let everyone know that an Elan and a Seven can do 4,400 miles in 21 days exactly as planned and make it home under their own power. Both cars were slightly wounded but no major failures and they carried us all the way in impeccable style.More later.

Now let me defer to the far more important story of Dave and Roberta Bean and their home. Our family is here for your family Dave!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:12 am

Figured the LOUTS should be home relaxing on the porch or doing repairs in the garage. Notice on the satellite weather map that the high country is turning white in places so travel time is definitely winding down.

Looking forward to more on the trip.

Sorry about the Beans loss as well. All healthy but I'm sure lots of history lost.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: