Lotus Owners Gathering in Colorado

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:32 pm

This is a panorama I took and maybe will come through--lotta fine Loti! Gordon Sauer
Attachments
image.jpg and
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:55 pm

A few more. The lobby of the hotel was adorned with much Lotus memorabilia.'
Attachments
DSC06495.JPG and
DSC06496.JPG and
DSC06493.JPG and
DSC06491.JPG and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:57 pm

A portion of the panoramic shot.
Attachments
DSC06479.JPG and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Aug 30, 2015 5:07 am

Tony has posted a ton of great pictures, He is also asking for names to the faces, which is a cool idea.

http://www.lotusowners.com/2015Meetings ... /index.htm

The whole event was absolutely great. The Colorado club did a terrific job.

Drive down turned out OK if a little rushed. I had an alternator failure on the Esprit right before I was slated to leave. Managed to get one overnighted and installed, but only left time for a spirited blast thru Montana and Wyoming. Picked Lynn up at Denver International right on time, literally driving thru the arrivals line just as she came out the door. :)

Lynn and I enjoyed a fun bar chat with Doc Bundy and Bobby Unser on Friday afternoon. The welcome party and concours lunch were in a large tent near the cars.

Saturday morning came early, with setup for the panoramic picture. Large lawn with a gorgeous backdrop. We were actually set up early and had to wait a few minutes for the morning light.

The parking lot concours had very nice representation of all years and models. Several very nice Elans and Plus 2's. The Elite array was very good, and very close in the judged concours. My fun favorite was Zog's lovely Lotus Cortina wagon complete with a tall block twin cam. Dave Bean told us he built one up years ago to tow his race car, which struck me as the pinnacle of optimism. :)

The banquet was very enjoyable, talking Lotus with Zog, Famous Frank, and others from the mid-west. Bobby Unser had some classic stories of his record Lotus run up Pikes Peak, along with what they learned technically from the light car. His description of welcoming the Brits to the Brickyard was also very amusing.

Pikes Peak and the scenic drives were a highlight. Some of the Elans and Elites had minor cooling issues at the very top (14,000 ft); even the Esprit was giving a hot oil warning. The view was great, with a temperature inversion lifting the mist. After a big breakfast we took a relaxed tour through some old mining towns for about three hours. The Esprit ran great all day, but threw a lean code on the way back to the hotel. I guess it adjusted to the summit and was having difficulty back at a more 'normal' 6,000 ft. Lynn and I skipped the Autocross, but from the pictures it looked really fun.

Sunday night buffet was very well done. Ross acted as Johnny Carson with Dave Bean, Arnie Johnson, and Clive Chapman as guests. Richard Parramint anchored the couch a la Ed McMahon. It was a fun and lively chat on a range of topics. Clive's description of the old man taking up shooting for the first time (in the back yard) stood out.

Monday was the Track Day at Pikes Peak International. The road course uses one end of the banked oval combined with a infield technical section. Highlight for me was getting a ride along with one of the instructors, and realizing how much of the car's potential I was leaving out. A lot of fun and very educational.

Hotel was very nice, particularly on Monday afternoon when the forest fire smoke lifted to reveal a view of Pikes Peak out the window. The local Colorado guys were having a well deserved beer after putting of a very well organized event.

Every morning came pretty early during LOG, so sleeping in on Tuesday was great. We took about two thirds of another recommended scenic drive to get back to Denver International for Lynn's flight out.

Minor glitch on the way home. Just north of Ft Collins the car would not go in to first, second or reverse. :shock: Took a bit of fancy clutch work to get to Lotus of Denver, who were very accommodating considering they are booking service three weeks out. They removed and lubricated the linkage, unstuck things, and it remained trouble free all the way home. Really nice dealership, and they supported the Track Day with a tech on site and coolers full of bottled water.

So, complements to the whole Colorado club for a top notch LOG. The state has a lot to offer, hope to get back again soon.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: