Insiders Explain Lotus USA History

PostPost by: lance54 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Informative comments here from Fred Stevenson about Dutchess Auto Company and US Lotus Dealer Operations in the 60s and 70s.....

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2015 ... refer=news

Too bad Chapman never really understood the value of a professional dealer network.....especially in the vast expanses of the USA.

Don't miss the Indy Victory Celebrations in June at the SVRA Brickyard Invitational races......

Matching Gifts.jpg and
lance54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Interesting; thanks Lance for posting that.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusS2guy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:36 pm

The Lotus dealer network has always been dodgy in the US. I bought my Elan in 1966 from Tom O'Brien Sports Cars, a small Alpha/Lotus dealership in central NJ. Everyone there (owner, sales, mechanics) was a gearhead who had an SCCA license. Great experience. I drove that car to California. When I stopped in Oklahoma City to have it serviced at the "Lotus dealer," they did not know how to open the bonnet. Not so good. When I got to California, I settled in Manhattan Beach, home of Bob Challman's Ecurie Shirlee. More Lotus gearheads who raced, but Bob had a way of alienating folks. Fortunately I was never on his sh*t list. He was known to throw people out of his showroom and forbid their return. :o
Herb
26/4618
lotusS2guy
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: