MOT exemption for 70s' cars

PostPost by: William2 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Apparently there is an article in Classic Car Weekly or Buyer about all cars made in the 70s' may be exempt from the UK MOT. This sounds like good news to some but I can't help thinking the government has an ulterior motive. Personally I would like the MOT to stay as it gives one peace of mind that the car is safe and roadworthy.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ken ob » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:46 pm

I think the idea is to link it to the 40 year free road tax system.

Ken
Slightly confused by everything since the invention of the wheel.
ken ob
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:05 pm

I hope it includes all bikes made in the 70's as well but don't we have the 60's to go first?
I don't think I'm going to hold my breath waiting for any of this though.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:26 pm

Hmmm. I wonder how much it will cost us to have a private non-MOT road-worthyness test of our Elans?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:55 am

billwill wrote:Hmmm. I wonder how much it will cost us to have a private non-MOT road-worthyness test of our Elans?

Surely it will be just the same as the normal MoT ? If anything it should be less because the modern MoT contains quite a few things that aren't applicable to our cars, but personally I'd be ok paying the normal rate.

The link to the 40yr tax exemption might just happen, maybe not now but in a year or so. When the pre-1960 cars were exempted there were polls to retain it and I can't recall one press article in favour of the move, all were claiming the roads would be flooded with unroadworthy cars crashing into things.

It hasn't happened.

Unless there's significant evidence from the pre-1960 scheme over the next few years, I could well see a rolling program for this with maybe pre-1970 as the next step. All I'd do is get the local MoT place to do a check on the basics, ie the items which were checked when the car was new in the 60s, and give me a report which I could file alongside the insurance, just in case....

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:43 pm

Why would it be the same? It would be unregulated so a garage will charge whatever it likes.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:22 pm

I wouldn't feel safe driving my cars if they hadn't been independently inspected for safety on at least a yearly basis.

I can fix pretty much anything myself, but I didn't spot the broken coil spring on my S4 or the nail in the tyre of my +2 last year, the year before The +2 developed a slight knock on the front suspension a couple of weeks before the Mot which turned out to be a broken shock absorber/anti roll bar link. I had the car up on my drive on ramps and couldn't see anything wrong as the ARB was touching the bottom of the shock and it was a bit dark under there!

So obviously I'm totally useless at inspecting my own car for safety and need a yearly inspection. I'm sure there are lots of other people who are the same.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: