LHW32E Yellow S3 DHC in Hereford

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:24 pm

Anybody on here own this car? I was exploring the 800 year old library in the cathedral in Hereford this morning, and on the way over for a particularly good lunch heard the unmistakable sound of a Twincam burbling up the road. The car looked gorgeous, and seemed to be behaving well in the traffic. Then after lunch, it came past again! Not sure if it was the Valpolicella effect or just my mellowed state of mind, but the car looked even prettier than it had in the morning.

As a result of lunch, the registration number may not be exactly right!

I must get my S3 back on the road this year. Whoever you are with the S3 in Hereford, I feel inspired...thanks!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:14 pm

Mark,

There is someone in this group who lives in the Forest of Dean, which is quite close to Hereford. Perhaps that is who you have seen. I think his user name is elan in the forest.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Mark,
I think Richard is being really helpful here :lol:

I agree with your thoughts about getting the S3 back on the road, I loved seeing it in the barn last week and really liked the fact that you have owned it for a really long time. You need to take a leaf from Geoffers book and get cracking, you can't leave it any longer. Stop playing with the Renaults, they will be there waiting for you when you have got the S3 back on the road.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:49 pm

Spyder fan wrote:Mark.......... You need to take a leaf from Geoffers book and get cracking. ......

:lol: :lol: :lol: yes, quite right ! I didn't get where I am today by wasting time visiting Cathedrals and having lunches :lol: :lol:
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:12 am

Geoff, you are a very focused man, something I lost when I stopped working, It may also be something to do with the quiet after 10 years of 250 mile commute and 14 - 16 hour days!

I did have the S3 running at the weekend, and it doesn't need too much work doing. Except the last time I overhauled the hydraulics and replaced the Rotoflex couplings was when this photo was taken....in 1978! So a bit to do before it goes safely back on the road.

But I will get a hurry-on this year, as soon as the Mexico is back together.

Mark
Attachments
79 elan 3a.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:38 am

Mark, it clearly was a good lunch! The DVLA site doesn't recognise the registration :(

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:30 pm

Hmm, I have no excuses Tim. I think that as the locals are brought up on strong cider from the age of 7 or 8, and graduate to gin chasers when they are 14, then a bottle of wine each at lunchtime is being rather modest. Have to fit in with local customs!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:59 am

Okay, Tomorrow I'm going back in the garage. I'm going to start to finish my S2 Roadster and will also start to disassemble my S3 Coupe. I've never driven the Coupe but i love the way they look. It's a Non Air Flow model that hasn't run since 1984. I'm leaving it totally stock, ............ well almost except for the Alternator, the Sliding Spline Rear Axles, and the 151 HP. It's going back to its original White Paint. And will look stock.,.......well maybe some Panasports or Mini-lights.

Thanks guys!

Frank
Attachments
5738 engine.jpg and
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:22 am

Famous Frank wrote:Okay, Tomorrow I'm going back in the garage. I'm going to start to finish my S2 Roadster and will also start to disassemble my S3 Coupe. I've never driven the Coupe but i love the way they look. It's a Non Air Flow model that hasn't run since 1984. I'm leaving it totally stock, ............ well almost except for the Alternator, the Sliding Spline Rear Axles, and the 151 HP. It's going back to its original White Paint. And will look stock.,.......well maybe some Panasports or Mini-lights.

Thanks guys!

Frank

Frank,
If you need any help or advice on keeping it stock with just a few variations I'm here for you :lol:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:00 pm

Well played Alan! :twisted:
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:11 pm

I believe there is a chap who works at Holdens (in Bromyard,Hfds) has a yellow +2.

http://www.holden.co.uk/
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:12 pm

Forgot to ask, who do use for Lotus repairs in the Hereford/Forest of Dean area?
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:04 am

Paul Matty! I don't know of anybody in the area, but Paul is only 50 minutes away.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:14 am

Thanks.
I have used him before, but the nearest I can book the car in is in May!!
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: