Planning application to demolish original Lotus site

PostPost by: velo5338 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:36 pm

Looks like they're trying again. I just received notice of an application for planning permission the demolish and build at the old Lotus site. We need to express our opposition once again.

Mike

Dear Sir/Madam

Town and Country Planning Act 1990

Proposal: Alterations to two storey office building and single storey warehouse to create priority plumbing brand to include demolition of 25 square metre 'lean to' building

This letter is about a planning application on a property near you.

An application for planning permission has been received by this Council for the development described above. As you live or work near the site, I am writing to ask you for any comments you may care to make, either objecting to or supporting the proposal.

You are being consulted as the occupier of your property. If you do not own the property, please pass a copy of this letter to the owner. If you are not the only person living in the building, please show this letter to the other occupiers.

You can view and comment on the planning application on-line via the following link:

http://www.haringey.gov.uk/planning

Please remember to enter the HGY application reference number shown at the top of this letter.

Please send any comments by 18/11/2015 because a decision may be made on the application at any time after this date. Any comments received after this date will be considered if a decision has not yet been made. Please note that comments in respect of applications will be made available to public view and reproduction, including via the Haringey website; but acknowledgement letters are not sent out in response to comments received. If you do send in written comments, you will be advised of the decision made on the application. More advice on getting involved is given on the reverse of this letter.

Yours faithfully

Emma Williamson
Head of Development Management
Planning Service

[/i]
velo5338
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:03 pm

So I went to the council site & downloaded both the existing layout plans & the planned modifications )both attached.)
Hornsey_Existing.pdf
(246.08 KiB) Downloaded 456 times

Hornsey_Planned.pdf
(261.37 KiB) Downloaded 492 times

It looks to me like Jewson will preserve the basic appearance & layout of the buildings. Isn't that better than the buildings continuing to deteriorate & finally be demolished as unsafe?

I visited the buildings a couple of years ago & was saddened by their current state.

I'd much prefer they be used in a sympathetic manner. I've read for years the plan to make a Colin Chapman / Lotus museum at the site. Without a lot of money & without Jewson being on board (i.e. wanting to sell) it isn't going to happen.

Maybe we just petition to keep the marker on the building?
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:15 pm

These were the pictures that I took in January 2011, there's a good one of the "lean to" that they propose to demolish:
Lotus_TottenhamRdHornsey 011.jpg and
Showroom & design office

Lotus_TottenhamRdHornsey 012.jpg and
"Lean to" on the left
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:27 pm

Well that is much better than the previous plan which would have demolished the Office/Showroom and the stable block.

That lean-to has no real merit and indeed might not date back to Lotus time.

What about the rest of the site:

What is the link to the actual application documents on the council site, I can't find it?
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:59 pm

billwill wrote:What is the link to the actual application documents on the council site, I can't find it?

http://www.planningservices.haringey.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=285092

Reference number is HGY/2015/3090
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:48 pm

About time that we had an update!

The revised planning application was approved in December 2015 & the work completed by September 2016. The buildings now look like this:

hornsey_092016.jpg and

Maybe it's my pragmatic approach, but I think this is a great conclusion to the issue of the original building falling into dis-repair. The buildings have been sympathetically restored keeping historic features (showroom windows, plaque, workshops, even the upstairs wall safe & Chapman's desk) while the owner is getting some value from the building.

Better this than the pipe dream of the Chapman Museum that I've been hearing about for 10 years while the building falls down. :roll: Jewson even seem sympathetic to tours of the building, Richard Parramint was able to give a tour of the building to a group from the Golden Gate Lotus group.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:19 am

Hope Alan Morgan sees this as it would be a nice article for the Club Lotus magazine.
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:10 pm

nice to see the chap outside having a fag is reading the plaque........ :mrgreen:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Oh good.

I must pop down there and see it with mine own eyes.

:P
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:26 am

I took another drive by Hornsey yesterday, I think everything looked much better than 10 years ago...
IMG_4841.jpg and
Nice touch with the Lotus 7 graphics
IMG_4843.jpg and
The pub has changed identity again
IMG_4844.jpg and
IMG_4845.jpg and
Dormers & shed are gone...
IMG_4839.jpg and
Plaque placed by Graham Arnold
IMG_4842.jpg and
Same houses as in the picture of Colin Chapman holding up the Chassis
Phil Harrison