Shipping from UK to USA

PostPost by: bill308 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:03 pm

Does anyone have recent experience shipping a chassis or body from the UK to the USA?

I'm considering the purchase of a 26R body and accessories from Kelvedon and would like to know what options are available.

Would anyone be interested in sharing a 20 ft. container to the USA east coast?

Can anyone recommend a good shipper/broker?

Thanks,
Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:45 am

Im on the west coast, but may be interested in bring a car over,
James
Please let me know what the cost would be.
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: msd1107 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Talk to Spyder. They shipped my chassis to CA.

David
1968 36/7988
msd1107
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: velo5338 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:17 pm

I might be interested in sharing a 20' container to the East coast - but it would have to be in the next month or so. I'm about to bring over a BIG crate packed with goodies for a '60 Elite I'm restoring (engine, transmission supsension, brakes, trim etc.) Sharing a container might be a cheaper option for me.

Mike,
velo5338
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:22 pm

Bill,

I've considered a new 26R body also. If possible, please PM me with what this might cost from Kelvadon. Maybe we can get better pricing on two. Thank you.

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:37 pm

Thanks for the interest guys.

Kelvedon, at Bourne Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, where I will likely purchase the body, appears to be about 75 miles north of London. The key would be consolidating shipment prior to ocean shipment to Port of NY or northern NJ. Inland shipping would be extra, along with brokerage fees and customs fees.

One forum member sent me a PM saying he has a contact that has done shipments from the UK to the USA. I've asked that he contact me.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: posulliv » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Bill:

Have you spoken with the vendor? Unless you're buying from a private party I'd expect they have people they have worked with and recommend.

When I ordered a chassis from Tony Thompson they suggested a crater and a shipper and oversaw the process.

Because the crate was so large I filled it up with bulky/fragile parts I'd want one day (hardtop, spare windscreens, etc. It seemed a good idea at the time, but then I had a shed full of bulky items, some of which I've now sold on.

Everything arrived in perfect condition, in part, I think, because the crater knew what they were doing.

Regards,

Patrick
posulliv
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi Patrick.

I'm waiting for Paul at Kelvedon to get back to me on a shipping estimate. He recently bought the business and is up to his eyeballs in alligators during the holiday season.

Your plan is what I am thinking too. Unfortunately, not all items I want, come for one source. For instance, I would like to include an S2 dash cover from the type26register, perhaps some missing parts from Voights for my gear box, like a gear shift lever and output shaft, and a 26R header from TTR. The more I can add in to the shipment, the more I can potentially defray costs.

A second body or a couple of frames would likely be very helpful.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:49 pm

Maybe there should be a West Coast container as well. If it all goes to the East coast a lot of stuff would need to be shipped again to the West Coast.

I too have been thinking of ordering some parts, but they would come from several places, like TTR, Spyder, 26 Register, etc. Not enough to fill a container, but maybe a good size crate.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:56 pm

I may be interested in a couple of chassis' from TTR shipped to East Coast. :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:50 pm

Thanks Chris. What does your time line look like? Do you think Ray at RDE might be interested in hopping on board? He's in Quakertown, PA. Where are you?

If you are serious, we can discuss details by email.

It appears Kelvedon and TTR are both north of London, about 30-miles apart. I wonder if one or the other would consolidate shipment for us. I suspect my body, doors, etc., and your chassis or two would fit in a 20 foot container and still have room available.

I also wonder if they both get their frames from a common source? There can't be too many folks making chasses.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:49 pm

I have been told that Miles Wilkins is the source for all the frames, standard or 26R.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:30 pm

Thank you for that elancoupe,

I wish we had confirmation from another source or two. I wonder if that is also true of bodies? I don't believe Miles, at Fiberglass Services, has email. How is it that a company in today's world doesn't have email? Voights is the same way.

If all chasses and frames came from the same vendor, then the discriminators would be price, shipping, and service among the different retailers. On the other hand, one might get a better price if purchased directly from the manufacturer.

Anybody have contacts with Miles?

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:32 pm

On a side note out of interest, do any of the US suppliers offer replacement chassis?

Would have thought it might make sense to order a few at a time to reduce the shipping costs UK to US. Probably expensive and also hassle to ship within the US so might not turn out that much cheaper.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:29 pm

Hi mbell.

I suspect it's a big enchilada to sit on until someone wants to buy one. I believe a commercial holder/retailer also has to pay taxes on inventory, but I'm not a business type, so don't know for sure. I also don't know how big the Lotus replacement body and chassis market really is.

Several years ago, when I ordered a replacement chassis, I was lucky to hook up with Lee Chapman Racing on a container shipment. It wasn't cheap, but much better than I could have done individually. I have no idea on how he apportioned costs.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: