Lotus Elan

Elan +2 .. wants to go backwards!

PostPost by: rcourtney » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:04 pm

Afternoon All,

I took my +2 out on the damp roads of London Town yesterday. It was sliding all over the place. I know the tyres are thin (165's) but I do have new Goodyears fitted. I was suprised by the waywardness of the back end.

First time I noticed was while edging out of a junction in 1st gear with c.1/2 lock. I pulled away briskly (but not excessively) and the back started to come around.

I had previously contacted a former owner - who rebuilt the car, he said FYI be careful in the wet!

I have to say it was quite fun! but have to ask if its normal ?!? Could it be a setup issue? due to the Diff he used?

Any thoughts appriciated.
Ralph
1968 Lotus Elan +2 (Saturn Silver / Black)
rcourtney
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:20 pm

Ralph

How old are yours tyres or have you more than 200BHP :wink:
Old tyres was my recent experience with a +2 they were 14 years old, had them replaced

John
Regards

John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:29 pm

mmm......mine's the same if Im a little keen on the throttle....
and my tyres are new......Dunlop Streetsport SP2
I had new tyres on my other +2 and that was very tail happy.....especially in the damp.....
funnily enough they were Goodyear too......NCT3 IIRC
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcourtney » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:33 pm

Hi,

Thanks for ther responses

I have new Goodyear Duragrip 165/13 tyres on original K/O steel wheels.

The engine was rebuilt and Dyno'd at 130BHP - so not excessive

Ralph
1968 Lotus Elan +2 (Saturn Silver / Black)
rcourtney
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:50 pm

...and don't forget the mild/dry Autumn we've had,all that rubber on the road followed by rain does not bode well for tyre grip..

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Tyre pressure too high ?

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi,
I'm sure you have but will say it anyway

Have you checked:
Rear tracking
That rear arms are torqued up
Bushes not knackered

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:58 pm

keep over half a tank of fuel

It has always been thus with my car, less than half a tank, squirrely in the rain
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:35 pm

I like mine on 165/80/13's better than the 175/70/13's I had before, so don't think the stock tire size should be an issue.

For sure check the you have proper toe-in on the rear. My Spyder adjustable wishbones were not correctly set after my first post resto alignment, and the car felt like it was on ice in any kind of damp weather. If one side has slight toe-out the car will feel real loose. Besides bushings, tire pressure, etc. already mentioned, make sure no movement in the wheel bearings; had an issue on my car at one point.

Always hard to get a 'feel' for another's car over the Internet, but once properly set up I find the car does not have a propensity to step out that much, even on a slightly damp track. If I ever get the rear out a bit, the body lean is already pretty dramatic and the step out is quite predictable and progressive. From your description I think you need something adjusted / tuned / tweaked. If the car is new to you it is difficult to have a reliable point of comparison.

PS What diff was used? I might have missed it. My car originally had a 3.77 and I changed to 3.55. Don't recall any handling change.

HTH

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi Ralph, where abouts in London are you? I use my +2 a few days a week on my commute to London so I can often be seen blatting around Wandsworth, Battersea, Putney and Chelsea.

My car has a Spyder conversion so not a direct comparison but I can't say I have found my car anywhere near as loose as you descibe in the wet. I do have wider tyres (185's) and an LSD but I also have a bit more power (170bhp).

From experience with my previous cars I would definitely agree with previous posters with respect to suspension alignment/settings.

All the best and if you want to get the cars together for a comparison let me know.

Gav
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: