Jim Clark Memorial Day

PostPost by: jono » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:30 am

Last year a memorial day held at Duns where Classic Team Lotus attended and demonstrated a number of the old works cars on the road in the centre of town (which was closed for the event).

I only learned of it after the event which was a great shame as I would definately have attended - it's not too far away from where I live.

I have been trying to find out of they intend to repeat it this year as it would be great to attend in the Plus 2 (so long as i get it back on the road by then :shock: ).

Does anyone know anything about it?

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:08 am

You could always drop them a line...

[email protected]

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:36 am

Things are a little different this year Jon, as there are changes afoot at the Jim Clark Room.

This year celebrates Jimmy's 50th anniversary of his Touring Car Championship win in 1964 with a Lotus Cortina.

I went up to Donnington a couple of weeks ago to help a friend display his ex-Jim Clark road going Lotus Cortina at the press launch of the 2014 British Touring Car Championship. The car was being displayed under the Knockhill circuit banner, as they are hosting the celebrations, along with the guys from the Scottish Borders Council, who fund the Jim Clark Room.

The Council have awarded the Jim Clark Room a considerable sum to be able to buy an old school in Duns, and get it converted into a proper museum to house the collection, and up to 6 cars at any one time. I had some long chats with Stuart Grey, who runs Knockhill, and Doug Nivan, who is a trustee of the Room, and Jim Clark's cousin. The enthusiasm for the new museum is huge, and they believe that there has never been more enthusiasm for Jim Clark than there is now, and certainly we were mobbed displaying two of his old Lotus Cortinas at the show.

So, there is a programme of events planned for late August this year, including closing the Forth Road Bridge to allow a parade of ex-Jim Clark cars and a raft of Touring race cars to cross (Thursday 21st Aug), and are having a display and parade of ex-Jim Clark cars at Knockhill on the Sunday 24th August, when a round of the touring car championship is also being held.

Should be an interesting day, especially watching the loons racing the modern stuff!

Here's the draft flyer for the events, and a picture of the two Lotus Cortinas we displayed at Donnington a couple of weeks ago.

The 'KPU' car belongs to Andy Middlehurt (an ex-Touring Car champion), and was the last works Mk 1 Lotus Cortina built, developing 185 bhp from it's Lucas injected dry-sumped Twincam. It's a sod to start, and often catches fire in trying, so we pushed it around. On one such push, Jason Plato (a current and long-time racer) came bouncing over with a big grin saying we were 50 years too late for the race! There's no romance in these lads.

Mark
Attachments
jim clark stuff.jpg and
JC LoCorts.JPG and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks Mark - somehow I thought you might know!

August might be sufficient time for me to gain the confidence that the Plus 2 will actually make it to Knockhill!

...and just in time before I need a passport :lol:

I had heard about the plans to develop the Duns room but had not realised they had grown 'wings' - that's great news. The Duns room is a little gem though!

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: