Registering a Canadian vehicle in US

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:47 am

Hi,
I'm new to the board and considering the purchase of a Canadian 1970 Lotus Elan+2. Are there any obstacles in registering such a vehicle in the US (Pennslvania)? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Chris Herr :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Welcome to the forum Chris. They are great cars!

My understanding, which is just based on seeing US guys discuss the issue on forums, is the car can come in to the US relatively easily under your fifteen year rule. Some others located Stateside can probably help with details. I have seen several Canadian sourced cars located in the US though, so it is definitely possible. For bringing a car from the US to Canada there are a few items to take care of at the border, so you will need to be prepared on that front. Option is to get a shipper and broker to take care of this portion of the process.

Not sure of the rules in your specific State regarding pre-registration emissions, inspection, etc. In my Province we have to do an 'Out of Province Inspection' checklist at a certified shop. Specific items that can catch you out on a Plus 2 include parking brake (can be made to work!), reverse lights (transmission switch is a bit awkward to get to), headlight pods (vacuum actuated), and general electrical gremlins (grounds need to be clean). None of these issues are a particularly big problem if you are going through the car prior to local registration, and you can get detailed help with them here.

Best of luck with your search. Let us know if you would like someone local to check out the car for you.

HTH
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:02 pm

I imported my Sprint over the border last Spring - see this thread http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-elan-f19/phil-new-sprint-t28091.html

Is the car in the US already or still in Canada? The all important thing is that the car was made to Federal standards back in 1970 & that you can prove it.

As long as you know the facts 7 have the correct paperwork the process is not too bad.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:15 pm

Hey Phil, I forgot about your lovely purchase last year. Question, did your State require that all of the Federal emissions stuff was in place as stock? I got to believe cars up here that still have the cross-over pipes and original dizzy are pretty rare. :)

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:33 pm

stugilmour wrote:Hey Phil, I forgot about your lovely purchase last year. Question, did your State require that all of the Federal emissions stuff was in place as stock? I got to believe cars up here that still have the cross-over pipes and original dizzy are pretty rare. :)

Stu

No not all... my car even has a Weber head now. Customs did check for the federal emissions plate under the hood & the federal vin plate on the door opening.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stovekjj » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:48 pm

I had no issues when I moved from Ontario in 1994 with a 1967 S3,
it came over the border with 'personal goods' and CT DMV just wrote it up..
no federal musings.. of course i did the handbrake stall test in 3rd gear.

and CA has had no issues when we moved out here.. still have Ontario Lotus club sticker.
stovekjj
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:03 pm

My 1969 S4 is a Canadian model and is Non Federial. It is basically a LH version of the UK. I bought already regiistered in California. It has none of the Fed plates identied here. Only the normal OEM plate on top of the foot well in engine compartment

James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:38 pm

Far from an expert but i thought they were all exempt of the Federal requirements now under the "25 year" (Granddad) rules.

I have a RHD UK car that was brought over in the 90's then sat for quite a number of years because it didn't meet federal requirements so couldn't be titled. Now it's over 25 year's the seller/dealer I bought it from had no problem getting a tittle (Tennessee) and I had no problem getting the title in my name (Texas).

Only issue i might face is getting through an Texas inspection but that pretty much a Saturday check over I am not expect too much of a problem. I don't even think they do an emission test on it!
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Thank you all for the helpful info. The Elan+2 is part of the John Scotti collection from Montreal. I assume it is a LHD version of the British +2. It is white with Weber carbs, single master cylinder and low back seats. It also has some interesting 26R looking wheels. The car is being auctioned by Auction America- Spring Auction at Auburn, Indiana, May 8-10. Since I probably won't be able to inspect the car beforehand, I plan to keep my bidding at a reasonable level (LOL). I am not able to post a link but pictures are available on John Scotti website and also Auction America. I would be interested in learning more about the wheels if anyone can help. I have also never seen a brown/black interior as fitted to this car. I have owned both an Elan and +2 in the past and regret having to sell both. Maybe I will soon be "back in the saddle".

Later
Chris Herr :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: