Valentine's Present

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Well my Lotus got me a Valentines present this year. It fired and ran for the first time since I got the car,it could be the first time it 20+ years but I think someone had an attempt to getting going ~5 years ago.

It's been resisting starting for some time, It took a dose of easy start but it ran for a few seconds, enough to confirm the carbs were the issue. I reset there fuel level them and it's now starting and running on it's own :D .

Obvious issues still with the carb set up, but that's not surprising as they were missing the jets, full of wasp nests when I got them and I am far from a carb or webber expert. It's running with the idle mixture screws fully in so going to need to take a look at the throttle plates. First thing is to check the timing with timing gun thou.

The other good news seems to be the oil I've been spotting appearing on the bottom of the bell housing appears to actually coming from the cylinder head oil return tube area and not the bell housing. I also need new engine mounts and to relocate elec fuel pump as it and the airbox keep trying to be in the same place...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:04 am

mbell,

What a great surprise! 20 years is a long time! How about a pic or two?

Frank
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:30 pm

Haven't taken many picture of the car in a while, just lots of various bits of it. Here one of the car on it's way into the garage quite a few months ago. Look quite a bit better paint than it really is.
Attachments
20130607_174937.jpg and
On it's way into the garage.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: