Some news. Not good!

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:59 pm

Alex,I'll certainly keep you in my prayers. I hope things go really well for you.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Alex

I'll call you on the morrow. Meanwhile get on to this forum. Very helpful and informative, as well as supportive: http://prostatecanceruk.org/we-can-help ... -community

It helped me greatly last year.

Later.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Alex,

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2004, so it will be 10 years this year. I have also had radiotherapy and am currently on hormone therapy. My GP advised me that I would loose body strength due to the female hormones, and I have. Having got over the initial shock I am well and the cancer is currently still under control.

Don't loose heart it is still early days, and you will probably have many good years ahead.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Well Alex I went through 43 radiations and hopefully will be a survivor after the next May visit .The worst part was the doctor doing things that would have us married in some southern states . ...That's a bummer...the cancer to have if you must have cancer is Prostate It has the best cure rate , after the initial shock ...mine was well the universe will still be operating with one less microbe ...it's piece of cake ...chin up :D ....Ed
Last edited by twincamman on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Well Alex I went through 43 radiations and hopefully will be a survivor after the next May visit .The worst part was the doctor doing things that would have us married in some southern states . ..that's a bummer....the cancer to have if you must have cancer is Prostate It has the best cure rate , after the initial shock ...mine was well the universe will still be operating with one less microbe ...it's piece of cake ...chin up :D ....Ed
Last edited by twincamman on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:57 pm

But I seem to have developed a finger twitch when posting :roll: .the new thinking overe ere is now 3 massive doses of radiation . I was selected for a study and was in the 43 dose groups others got 34 dose and 3 massive doses. .,but I don't think the study is finished yet .....really don't sweat it my old race pal didn't have a prostate left only a large tumor in its place and he's still with us after many years ...There are humorus bits like crossing the U.S. border and setting off the radioactive alarm after a radium sandwich,,,,,,very little humor those border guards .And right nasty the FBI guys until all was explained.....ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:54 pm

Hi all
10 years ago I had the choice of treatments--I had it removed - the only choice I figure. And I cant be accused of fathering any more children. I will not die with it or of it!

Quadrouple bypass 6 months ago, arterial leg bypass / stent last month.

All done with OEM parts - warranty extended - good to go!!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:30 am

Hi Alex,

Like some others, I only know of you through your posts but as a bloke of similar age, news like this always comes as a blow, so my best wishes for a complete recovery.

All these other posts though from other guys is real heartwarming and very positive. So don't even think about selling toys, instead make plans on how to wear them out over the next 20,30yrs.....

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:41 am

Salut Alex

We've never met either but you've won my respect and thanks through the forum, helpful pms and offers of help. Time to win my admiration and get through this.

My thoughts and best wishes to you.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TroonSprint » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:17 am

Hi Alex,

We did meet, very briefly, at Bo'ness last September, and I expect to see you and your super wee car there for many more years yet. I fully understand your distress at learning of the diagnosis, but there is a good possibility that you will die of old age before the prostate gets you. I spent my entire career (42 years) working in Clinical Biochemistry, ending up managing all Diagnostic Biochemistry services for NHS Ayrshire and Arran. In the last ten years of my career, which ended in 2008, we saw PSA testing go through the roof even though it is quite a costly test to perform.

However, I thought I ought to let readers of this forum know that PSA is not an ideal cancer marker, as a raised level often occurs in benign (non-cancerous) prostate conditions. There is a super web site which was set up by the Association of Clinical Biochemists which explains all types of laboratory testing procedures and how useful they may or may not be. The site is http://www.labtestsonline.org.uk/. Have a look at it. You can choose to explore the information by disease or by specific test name. I quote from its pages below.

"Whilst the PSA level is raised in up to eighty percent of prostate cancers, an abnormal result does not necessarily mean a diagnosis of cancer. In fact, two-thirds of men with a raised serum PSA level do not have prostate cancer, although other abnormalities requiring treatment may be the cause of a raised PSA results. Rectal examination and PSA measurement can also assist in the early detection of benign prostatic hypertrophy (BPH). The current UK NHS policy about the use of PSA to screen men without symptoms for prostate cancer is explained under Screening/Adults 50+.

Should you have symptoms of prostate disease, be sure to let your GP know. If your PSA and/or rectal examination have normal results, your doctor can recommend when re-testing is appropriate. If your results are abnormal, your doctor may recommend further tests, such as a transrectal ultrasound-guided biopsy. This procedure allows a doctor to take a sample from the prostate for further study. It may be necessary to stop taking certain medicines up to ten days before the test. Ultrasound examination helps the doctor to assess the size of the prostate gland. A few weeks after the time of the biopsy you may also be asked to have an examination of your urinary flow rate and assessment of how much urine is retained in the bladder after urination. If your PSA level is only mildly elevated then your doctor may recommend re-testing after a certain period of time e.g. six months to a year.

Once a diagnosis of prostate cancer is made, doctors may use a variety of tests to monitor the cancer, determine treatment options, and evaluate the effectiveness of a chosen course of treatment. In addition to using rectal examination and PSA for this purpose, tests using X-ray, ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and tissue sampling may be used.
"

Good luck with your treatment in whatever form it takes, and ASK QUESTIONS. Far too many people are shy of asking the medics what's really troubling them. Doctors are only human and have human failings. You have every right to know what is going on and why.

You and Carol are in our thoughts and prayers and I hope to bump into you again this coming summer. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need your expert advice as my Sprint rebuild progresses!

Mike
TroonSprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:23 am

Hi Alex, all the very best and hoping all goes well for you- the ?lan could be a good distraction for you.
Take care, thanks for all the input on the forum over the years, it has been appreciated by many I am sure
Gordon
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 am

All the best to you Alex

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Paul Chapman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:03 am

Hello Alex

So sorry to hear that you have had a crap Christmas & New Year, so I hope that this year you have great Christmas & New Year and for many more years to come !

Good luck with the treatment.
Paul
Paul Chapman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:45 pm

:D :D Waw! feeling better already. I am slowly but surely driving the Devil from between my ears mainly thanks to all the support and advice from you guys ( including PM's!).. Great. It's amazing how many of us have had experience of this disease and are so very positive and helpful..

I tip my (somewhat wonky) hat to you all and thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)

Al' .....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:58 pm

That's the spirit, Alex. You'll beat it. Glad to have you back on the forum and thanks for all your input.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: