Spark plugs

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:22 pm

Just to share some good experience I have been using AC9C plugs from here

http://www.accuspark.co.uk/leads_plugs.html

for the last few months.

I was in the market for new plugs because I was having starting troubles and , once started the car would take a while to warm up and run smoothly. I also found that both ngk and Champion plugs could get in a state where only removal ,cleaning and warming with a blow lamp would bring them back into action. I saw these plugs had multiple earth electrodes and I have had good experience with similar design in another classic I have so I gave them a try. I can report that the car starts more easily and is running smoothly more quickly than with the 'main-stream' plugs.
The car is not used for competition but has done some longish motorway trips at a constant 5000rpm without ill effect.

I have no connection with the seller and in the past I've reported some negative comments regarding some of their other products but these plugs seem to work for me.

Happy new year to all

Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:54 pm

So what's your car and state of tune, Baggy? Electronic/standard ignition, coil ballasted 6 Volt /standard 12V, exotic cams/carbs etc? My usual starting problem, with standard everything, is that the plug-gaps have widened, otherwise they last for years though my S130 killed the occasional plug (which I think were N6Y).

Keep us up to date on those plugs. I was seduced by Burton's (I think it was) Splitfire promotion which also had multiple legs until they fell off.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:13 am

Hi Meg,
Its a standard '68 +2 - SE spec - weber carbs - probably about 3000 miles after a major rebuild, The only departure from the way it left the factory is Magnetronic electronic ignition.

Bit worrying the bit about the electrodes falling off............ :(

All the best

Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Lincoln62 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:59 am

I had this problem about 10 years ago and it was solved by changing my brand of fuel.

I was tipped off when the guy who rebuilt the engine in my race car told me that he often had plug fouling problems on his dyno with the fuel I was using. It made me think it may have been the cause of the problem in my Elan.

This is in Australia so the fuel would obviously be different but if it works it's a cheap fix.

Peter
Lincoln62
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:28 pm

As this subject keeps popping up, id like to add I've been using super 4's for about 3 years now. Much better performance when on points and carbs. Even better when I switched to full Aldon electronic. Im also still using the same set now it runs on full Emerald/jenvey EFI. Really good set of plugs.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: