Lotus biggest export markets

PostPost by: richgilb » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:28 pm

Is it USA?

I guess it was and probably still is?
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:34 am

I would put money on there being more Elans in Japan these days, or atleast more on the road....
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 pm

That is not an export market for Lotus Cars, though. That is the second hand market.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: LotusArchives » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:16 pm

If anyone has any distributor or export market dealer lists this would help me answer your question. I often come across dealer names that sometimes a internet search picks up, sometimes not. One tonight was Alderton Motors from 1969. A internet search pulled up a Alfa Romeo dealer in Souh Africa that someone thought also sold Lotus?

But yes for Elan S1 & S2 USA appears to be the largest export market, followed by Royal Elysees (France) appearing to have the largest number of sales per dealer/distributor outside of the US. I haven't yet sorted the other Elans into dealers as I am currently working through some +2 records.
LotusArchives
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:12 pm

For Sprints the figures break down as:

1112 produced for the domestic UK market
295 produced for the export market - 164 for the Federal (North America) market and 131 for Europe and the rest of the world

In an interview with Colin Chapman in Car May 1972 Chapman says ?roughly half our production is for the home market, a quarter Europe and a quarter America.?

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: