Elans & Plus 2s Used in Advertisements

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 pm

I was looking at some of my old copies of Motor Sport, Autosport etc and came across one or two adverts featuring Elans. I thought it might be interesting to post them up here to see if anyone else has adverts in their collections which they too can post.

There has been discussion previously on one or two of the better known adverts, particularly the Rothmans/Plus 2/Hand ad, which Innes kindly posted and I have copied into this thread.

I could not find an artwork ad by Dunlop which, I think, featured a white Plus 2 or an ad by Goodyear with an Elan. But I did find this Michelin ad with a small interior photo.

I had not remembered the ones from Kenlowe or Aley.

I did find a couple of line drawings of Sprints used by dealers, drawn from a three-quarters angle rather than the more usual sideways and have included them below. I assume the factory commissioned them originally.

I know there are others - the husband and wife team, she was the racer, he poured the Castrol in; the yellow S4 splashing through a puddle for Dunlop, I think it was. What have you got?

Tim
Attachments
1972 Rothmans Plus 2 Advert.jpg and
1971 Michelin S4 Interior.jpeg and
1971 Kenlowe S4.jpeg and
1971 Aley Roll Bar S4.jpeg and
1973 Camden Line Drawing Advert.jpeg.jpeg and
1973 Normand Line Drawing Advert.jpeg and
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rfurzer » Thu May 30, 2013 5:42 am

That Rothmans-smoking naval officer has a longer gear lever in his plus 2 than in my 130/5. Did they do a dawn-of-technology photoshop job?
rfurzer
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu May 30, 2013 7:36 am

composite photo Id say.....only because I reckon the steering wheel is missing too (the gear lever seems to be along way from the dash)......
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dlbutler » Thu May 30, 2013 12:17 pm

A few more here and more on my computer. :)
Attachments
Champions-use-Champions-COLOR.jpg
Champions-use-Champions-COLOR.jpg (73.79 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
ValentinePolish.jpg and
PedwinShoes-2.JPG and
Autolite-62-Gurney-19.jpg and
1969 Elan S4
1700 cc, Dave Bean #112 cams.
Union Jack Exotics
dlbutler
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Thu May 30, 2013 12:51 pm

Pedwins stitched me......
how adverts have changed

"there goes a guy going places in his Pedwin shoes
Lotus! Shag-sueded desert boot that really lays on the comfort.
Lotus makes it with chinos or dress slacks in sandy-shag (shown), concrete shag, or turned on buff.
most Pedwins, $10 to $15. Brown Shoe Company, St Lois

:lol:
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Fri May 31, 2013 7:51 am

Don't forget the +2 used in a UK TV ad a few years ago - Not sure what it was for - Ferrero Rocher chocs?

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JimE » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:26 pm

The Elan + 2 featured in the Rothman's advert was a s130 4 speed which is why the gear lever looks further away than the 5 speed. It's an optical illusion as both gearbox levers protrude in the same place. The 5 speed gaiter makes the lever appear shorter than it is and closer to the dashboard. I use to own a four speed +2S 130 and I always felt the lever with chrome surround at the base looked smarter than the 5 speed. It was also a nicer gearbox to use although the 5 speed is a blessing if you want a more relaxed drive at higher speed.
JimE
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: