Lotus track day Castle Combe 25th May 2013

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon May 20, 2013 5:20 am

Hi all,

Let's hope this fine weather stays with us for next Saturday 25th May & that some lovely dry conditions prevail for the coming Lotus track day.

I look forward again to meeting up with as many friends as possible there.

Who's planning to be there this year?

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PeterK » Mon May 20, 2013 6:49 am

MattElan & I are coming
Not long now :)
PeterK
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:29 am

I'll be there as usual in my old S2 Elan (red with silver hard top) looking for some fun with the more modern cars.

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon May 20, 2013 10:57 am

Maulden7 wrote:I'll be there as usual in my old S2 Elan (red with silver hard top) looking for some fun with the more modern cars.

Dave M.

Ah! so you're the guy who drives as though he's got a rocket stuck up his bum! :lol:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 pm

I shall be there with my +2 to give it an outing and stop it getting jealous of the S4!

I won't be tracking this year as I would like to be more sociable; last year was a hoot driving both cars on track, but I didn't get time to chat in between noise testing both cars, then attending drivers briefings, then assisting getting others through noise testing as well as firing up my laptop to help cure another zetec making too much noise..... sorry guys you are on your own this year, Thomas needs a rest!

Looking forward to seeing Dave M make mincemeat of the modern stuff; a real joy to watch his commitment into the corners and seeing the Elise's and Exiges jumping out of the way 8)
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nico506 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:06 pm

I 'll be there enjoying the sun or what ever the weather throws at us all.

Look forward to meeting contacts and catching up with old and new loti

Nick Navas
Elan S3 DHC 1968 BRG
nico506
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nigelrbfurness » Tue May 21, 2013 2:17 pm

I'll be there in my yellow H-reg S4SE as usual, though it leaks too much oil and makes far too much noise to go round the track. Incidentally, has anyone traced a front seal leak to a worn crankshaft pulley? Someone suggested it the other day.

Nigel F.
1970 S4SE/1760cc big valve/SA-AX block, L2s, 45DCOEs, 1978 Jensen GT, 1962 AH Sprite, Alfa-Romeo 159, 1966 Bristol Bus, 1947 AEC Regal bus.
nigelrbfurness
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue May 21, 2013 5:52 pm

Oh yes but not necessarily twin-cam specific. A radial shaft oil seal needs a top quality surface to seal against & even steel or iron components can develop grooves which will eventually lead to a leak.
Apart from re-surfacing or replacing, lets say the crank pulley, an alternative is to fit a new seal but to fit it in a different axial position relative to the worn sealing surface on the crank pulley so that it works on a sealing surface without any sign of wear or corrosion.

The need for a quality shaft surface for a seal to work with should not be underestimated.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Etienne 7 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi all,
Do you know at what time the day starts? I would love to come around with my Elan while it is still Alfa-powered but I'm supposed to go down to Salcombe to enjoy a long bank holiday week-end later on that day...
Maybe coming and saying a quick "hello" in the morning could be an option.
Cheers,
Etienne
Etienne 7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed May 22, 2013 12:18 pm

Last year I turned up pretty early, around 09:30 & there were already quite a few already there. However the majority seemed to drift in around 10:00 onwards.
I would think that by 11:00 you could guarantee seeing most people you may want to meet there.

Hope you do make it for a while; Alan (Spyder Fan) has assured me that the weather will be fine :)

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Etienne 7 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. I'll confirm later in the week but being there between 10 and 12 should be manageable :D
Cheers,
Etienne
Etienne 7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed May 22, 2013 12:29 pm

Those going out on track generally arrive early to get registered and get their cars through noise testing etc. As John says, normally there are quite a few people and cars in the paddock by 9:30 am. Look out for my Royal Blue +2.

P1020253.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Etienne 7 » Wed May 22, 2013 1:04 pm

I saw your green one last time, so I'll look for you and your blue one this time!

If someone has got a spare wheel that they would happily sell me, that would be great as I am after one...

Cheers,

Etienne
Etienne 7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Thu May 23, 2013 3:58 pm

As PeterK said I'll be there, hopefully along with my long term S4 owning brother in law John and his mate Trevor. We should be in my Twin Cam - unfortunately it's actually an Alfa 156 Sportwagon but it does have a Club Lotus badge on the screen.....
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu May 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Don't worry, you will be in good company, Etienne has an Alfa engine in his Elan :lol:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: