Montlehry Autodrome Heritage Festival - 8th / 9th June 2013

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Has anybody been to this event in the past?

I'm going with a mate in my Elan, we have shuttle / hotel booked, but looking at the web site, I'm not clear if we have to pre-register or can just turn up & pay on entry?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks - Dave Merlane
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: dougweall » Tue May 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Dave,

I have not been to this event, but I went to the French Lotus Festival there last year, it was fantastic.

My answer about this event you plan to go to, is send a pm to Christian "Old English White" on this forum and see if he knows anything about it.
He was one of the organisers for the Lotus Festival. He lives fairly near to the circuit so there is a possibility he might know something.

Sorry to be a bit vague, but it's the best I can come up with.

Hope you get there and enjoy the circuit, by the way I took in the remains of the Rheims circuit on the way back. Good to visit and just see the place. hopefully it will not disappear under some houses.

Regards,

Doug.
dougweall
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:34 am

Thanks Doug - will do.

Stopped off at Rheims on the way back from Monza a few years ago, but I think that some more restoration work has been completed since this visit. A very atmospheric place.

Dave.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: spridget » Thu May 16, 2013 11:20 am

Hi

The French Lotus Festival had been organised by Serge, Christian and team from Club Lotus France
The Autodrome Heritage Festival is organised by the owner of the Track (I.E. UTAC).
You have to pre-register on the website before coming . There is an english version of it http://events.utac.com/EVENEMENTIEL_UTAC_NOUVEAU/PAGE_inscription_participant_opt/dAcAABb~BUlCUlNiaXdQc1NBAAA?A78
Not sure Club Lotus France will have a space because 10 cars (at least) must be registered for racing...
I have the same trouble for a space with French Spridget club ...
Maybe you can ask Serge (syrius here) which is involved in this event for Club Lotus France
I will be there with the Frogeye :mrgreen:

Franck
50/0302 +2, Frogeye
spridget
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: syrius » Mon May 20, 2013 8:26 am

Hi All

Yes of course you are welcome to teh next Autodrome Heritage .

Today we have only five Lotus Elan and +2

I'm will be there saturday and sunday with Elan .

Serge :wink:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
syrius
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:35 am

Thanks Serge - I'm planning to be there with a mate in my old S2 Elan, driving over on Friday & leaving on Monday.

Staying in Dourdan.

I'm still a little confused as to whether we can just turn up and pay on entry or not, perhaps you could confirm this?

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: syrius » Tue May 21, 2013 8:09 am

Hi Dave
i think you will pay in advance for the tickets please find the link below
http://autodrome-heritage-festival.com/ ... ival-2013/

We will stay on Parking N?9 .

see you at Monthlery

Serge

syrius
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:58 pm

Thanks Serge - now all booked in / paid for the event, & received confirmation, though we're still not exactly sure what track activity to expect (will bring two helmets anyway)

Will be in a red Elan S2 (now cleaned up of 10,000 dead flies on the front end & windscreen acquired at Castle Combe on the Club Lotus Track day!!)

Hope the weather's as good as it was at Castle Combe.

Dave M.

PS - anybody else going?
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Tickets have arrived today & we've been allocated into parking area P8.

Hard top is off / soft top on so that we can enjoy the very hot weather forecast (& the possible thunderstorms don't happen!)

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: syrius » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:53 pm

Hi Dave

Many thanks for your visit at Monthlery last week end
I houpe you had a lot of fun with you car .
I took also a great pleasure with my S4 during the week end .
I have some pictures of your car .
please give me your mail in mp message .

Best regards

Serge
Attachments
Lotus Elan.net.jpg and

syrius
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks Serge & really pleased to meet you all & admire your great cars.

Arrived back home a few hours ago (917 miles total for the trip) have sent a PM.

The picture of my car in the mud certainly hides the state it was in after driving over the rain saturated field to the parking area!

Great fun on the circuit showing the E Types / Mustangs / Porsches etc just how quick & nimble an Elan can be, but that old banking is certainly a bit scary at high speed, especially when braking hard to enter the chicane at the end whilst bouncing on the bumpy surface!

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: syrius » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:31 am

Elan in action !

A+
Serge
Attachments
P1380553 [640x480].JPG and

syrius
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Maulden7 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks Serge (that's me during the 2nd "parade" on the Saturday)

I must say that the word "parade" has a totally different meaning in France as opposed to the UK!

What became apparent to me after the first 500m of the 1st heritage category session, is that the "parade" is effectively a 20 minute track day type event, but with no briefing, no rules, no helmets, & virtually anything goes. The only common factor is the use of pace cars (two) but these guys are driving pretty much flat out as well.

Once I realised what was happening, & after working through the slower cars that started in front of me, I ended up dicing at the front with a Jag E Type, a fastback Mustang, a Porsche Carrera, & a full race Marcos. Overtaking anywhere is fine, corners, chicanes ..... anywhere, & on several occasions we were driving through corners & chicanes three abreast. Great fun.

The Marco was nimble enough, but didn't have the grunt on the straights or out of the corners. The Mustang was pretty quick on the straights, but with the much shorter braking distances & far better turn in / speed out of the corners of the Elan, I was able to keep up & finally slipped inside on the 2nd corner after the banking / chicane, & ended up at the front & just behind the pace cars.

I have to admit that I chickened out on the Sunday. The overnight very severe thunderstorm (the Elan needed mopping out from the inside) had left standing water on the track in places, running water in others, & bumpy wet concrete of course does not provide hardly any grip at all, PLUS we had nearly 400 miles to drive to get home the next day. I could have driven around slowly of course .......!!

So, for 130 euros, & entering early enough to get into the "races" (no competition licence needed, no scrutineering, no briefing, passengers ok, no race suit needed, just a helmet required) over the two days you could get 2x20 minute "races" + 4x20 minute "parades", entry for two persons, lunch for two persons on both days ........ talk about value for money compared to the UK.

We were staying in Dourdan (about 20 minutes drive south) & the main problem was that the town is virtually closed - full stop - on a Sunday. No bars, restaurants (except a pizzeria) open, & eating pizzas / pasta, drinking Italian beer & wine, was not what we had planned for the evening (but we got by)!!

A great weekend.

Dave M.
Maulden7
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: syrius » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:06 pm

Hi Dave

Same think for me with an other metal grey mustang fast back .
the French driver did not like passed by a small red car ....
He had also some braking trouble smoke on tyres , just before the chicane .
Elan is a very competitive and easy to drive .

Many thanks Colin !

regards

Serge
Attachments
DSCN8364 [800x600].jpg and

syrius
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: syrius » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:40 pm

syrius