Unsolicited email

PostPost by: worzel » Sun May 12, 2013 2:15 pm

Hi

I wonder if other owners have recently received an email "out of the blue" about their car?

Might be a scam or similar or might be totally honest but I thought I'd let other owners know.

Received a short email the other day mentioning of all things an enquiry I'm supposed to have made in 2004 about modifying an elan. I know you're not supposed to open these from unknown sources but curiousity got the better of me. It ddn't mention me by name but asked if it could offer any useful services. No company name was mentioned which I thought slightly odd.

Could be somebody trawling to see if I still own an elan or I might be unnecessarily "doing down somebody" but I thought it worth mentioning to others.

Regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sun May 12, 2013 2:52 pm

Hopefully your email program will let you see all the headers of the email and then you can see where it really came from. The return address is very easily faked.

See sections 2 onwards of this tutorial.
http://www.visualware.com/resources/tut ... email.html
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Sun May 12, 2013 8:41 pm

For future reference, if you receive an email that appears to from the LotusElan.net or is connected, please forward the email to me. I will review the email and determine if we have a scammer masquerading as a member.

thank you.

jeff
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: