Club Lotus Show & Festival, Donington - 20/21 April 2013

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:15 pm

Yes. I noticed that 'clash'. bad idea meethinks. I booked a holiday in Tenerife instead.

Have fun those guys who are going.

AB... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 am

Quick heads up on accomodation - if indeed this weekend does clash with racing hotels will put their prices up as soon as they get wind.

Looks as though Travelodge haven't as yet as a room for 19/4 is just ?19 (without brekkie but they do a good one in the service area for around ?7 i think). So if you are looking for a cheap room within a mile of Donington then this is pretty good.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:22 pm

Wish I had done both now.

Oh well... Bummer! :?

Al' ..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:12 pm

D'ye know, I don't see how this is going to work! I've just been talking to a snapper who covers the BTCC events and he says that it is absolutely mad at Donington- takes ages to get in and out and parking is completely full up. Add to this a load of overheating old cars trying to get to a specific point in the circuit (rather than being directed into the nearest lane by the security hulk) and it doesn't make sense.
Reading thro' the Club Lotus mag and the bits of paper which came with it advertising the show tickets, it is obvious that CL did not know about the BTCC event; I suspect that Donington had to fall in with the date dictated to them by BTCC, or lose the event, after already having agreed the CL gig. :(
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:30 pm

I've dropped Alan Morgan a line and asked him to comment on this subject - so I hope we'll see shortly.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:27 am

I have just booked some rooms for the show. I will be having my usual stand there.
I booked Days Inn Hotel a few minutes drive from Donington. They still had quite a few rooms left, price was under ?40
I have not stayed there before. The hotel I usually book was full already.
Not happy about the possibility of people having trouble getting into the show because of the racing.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:53 pm

I hope you have a better experience at Days than I had (not the same location and was a few years back). Room was dirty and cold and the bed was only marginally more comfortable than the floor. Would never book with them again.

You know what you are getting at Travelodge (and it is not fleas)
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:53 pm

I guess that makes Saturday the best day to go, as the racing on Sunday is usually more popular.

?19 a night for a hotel sounds, erm, reasonable Steve. Do you have to take your own bed and sleeping bag?!

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:03 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I guess that makes Saturday the best day to go, as the racing on Sunday is usually more popular...............
Mark

I'll see if I can get hold of a detailed race-event programme (might not be finalised yet).

EDIT: MESSAGE FROM MY CONTACT AT DONINGTON:
I am sure this will work well during the BTCC weekend as it will add something extra for those people visiting the circuit and the Lotus Show will be taking place in the Exhibition Centre, which is located away from the main paddock area.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AlanM » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:19 pm

I've been away in Spain since Thursday so have only just seen this thread.

Those who have assumed that we knew nothing about the BTCC race date are quite correct. At no time during my protracted conversations with Donington, which began last October, was this mentioned. To me this is disappointing to say the least although as always there are benefits - for instance exhibitors shoud benefit from non-Lotus enthusiasts attending. However, clearly the one major question which is how they will guarantee us free and easy access in the mornings.

Most of our visitors arrive early so between 08.00 and 11.00 is the critical time period. Hotels may also be tricky nearer the date so best get booked now.

There will be plenty of hardstanding areas for us to park as this was a core part of our requirements and is in our contract. I'm also not too concerned about other operational aspects of running the show as we know from experience that a race meeting - however big - is concentrated some way away from our areas with separate access roads.

I will be contacting the circuit tomorrow morning to see what they have to say and how they plan to guarantee us good access first thing on both days. I'll post again when I've got some more news and hopefully some reassurances.

When I booked the hall the previous weekend was still free. So the big question is: do we consider the situation serious enough to warrant possibly bringing the show forward one week? I realise many people will have already booked accommodation but at this range it should be possible to amend bookings. There's also time to make the general Lotus community aware of the change.

I'd apprecaite any thoughts.

Alan
AlanM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 pm

Alan,
My concern is that whilst it might be possible(!) to segregate BTTC traffic from CL traffic inside the gates (although I have reservations), the road situation for arrivals to the outside of the circuit is not brilliant. There are really only two gates, the main one near the Museum and the one for the paddock (on the little road to King's Newton). All CL traffic will be directed via the main gate, along with the vast bulk of spectators for the racing; this gate has to handle all the traffic from the M1 North and South and the A42 Northbound, there really isn't anything else which can handle any amount of traffic.

I have no doubt that Donington were told when BTCC would be arriving and had no say in the matter, BTCC is such a major cash-cow that when it's calendar is fixed, that's it for all the circuits. I'm guessing that they just did not know the calendar when they did the deal with you.

My inclination would be to go for the preceding week-end but this turn of events is horrible timing for you, just after all your publicity has gone out. :(
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 pm

For what it's worth I think going for the alternative weekend would be the best choice but my goodness you will have to act quickly.
A bit of a rebate on the cost of the exhibition should find its way to you considering the position that the Lotus Show has been put in.
Good luck & I hope you will find agreement with all of the exhibitors etc.
Hopefully hotel, B&B bookings may be transferred without problems with the owners looking to accommodate more BTCC people on that other weekend?

Let's hope that the usual large number of "Continental" visitors will be able to re-arrange their commitments.

I've already limited my visit to one day, that being Saturday, mainly because of the highlighted problem

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:41 pm

Some (maybe many) of us will not be able to amend our bookings with Hotels I know if the date changes I am out of pocket. But also what about those people who may have already booked holidays from work and also booked flights, ferries and others will have booked trailers and vans etc

I think a date change at this stage would be a PR and practical disaster. Best bet is to try to arrange a dedicated access lane at the entrance so hopefully queues can be avoided - if I recall correctly it is wide enough for 2 lanes however this will only be advantageous once you reach the access road - I can well imagine a lot of traffic causing congestion outside.

pete if you can find a schedule when are the busy times going to be? Friday morning through to afternoon is usually traders setting up. I'd have thought 8am to perhaps 11am on both saturday and Sunday would be when most CL visitors will be arriving.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Yes in retrospect maybe my thinking was a bit "astray" in any case this is or could be a logistical nightmare.
The very best of luck to you in your decision Alan.
In the end, if we want to attend we will have to face whatever the consequences may be.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:51 pm

I like the Idea of it being at the same time as a race meeting.... otherwise why even have it at Donnington?

Traffic isn't going to be that much of an issue - It's not the British Grand prix! My only question is do we get the reserved parking?

It has it's advantages - Lotus show one day BTCC the next.

I can't believe there is even any fuss!
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: