Who is going to the NEC Classic Motor Show

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Best NEC show for ages, lots of things I've not seen before, lots of hidden gems. When you are on the show circuit, like wot I is, often it's the same old(!) cars year after year; this was a good day out.

I met Alan and Brian briefly, ogled the SuperSprint, was staggered by the sticker-prices on some of the cars for sale, added two cars to my Euro-Millions shopping list and met up with a whole load of nice people who I've not seen for ages.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sparkey » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Splendid, I'll set my alarm for tomorrow then!

cheers
Steve
sparkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:55 pm

sparkey wrote:Splendid, I'll set my alarm for tomorrow then!

cheers
Steve

So, how was it then? I'm going tomorrow (Sunday)
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:50 pm

Just not long back.Great show! Much more room than previous.

Carol and I enjoyed it very much. Some fabulous cars!

Al' ....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:59 pm

Went on Saturday. Elans everywhere! I hadn't read this thread so didn't realise that the stand was being organised by you guys, otherwise I would have made myself known when talking to one of the chaps on the stand :-(

In case I spoke to anyone on here, I was the old, bald guy wearing black trousers, black shirt and an old black Lotus jacket with yellow piping :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:18 pm

stevebroad wrote:Went on Saturday. Elans everywhere! I hadn't read this thread so didn't realise that the stand was being organised by you guys, otherwise I would have made myself known when talking to one of the chaps on the stand :-(

In case I spoke to anyone on here, I was the old, bald guy wearing black trousers, black shirt and an old black Lotus jacket with yellow piping :-)

I saw you. And your twenty-six identical siblings.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:20 pm

I din't know my brothers were going as well :-)

I was the only one I saw wearing a tatty (30 years old) jacket with just Lotus on the front left breast :-) I pointed out the warped passenger door and you said it was a fault in the original mould, if it was you I talked to that is. We also discussed whether they were used or trailer queens.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:31 pm

Steve,
You were probably speaking to Brian, the owner of the red S4 (The other Brian, not Brian Clarke from these forums). Apart from the 26R all the cars were driven to and from the NEC and mine is definitely not a trailer queen having covered 400 miles there and back on some of the most congested motorways in Europe (M40 & M25). I've done 4000 miles this year and I have a +2 elan as well that does similar mileage.

Brian Clarke's Sprint has a lovely patina to the paintwork. Patina is a polite word for the absence of polish or elbow grease applied on a regular basis. :lol:

The stand was run on behalf of Club Lotus as it is every year by the Staffordshire branch of the club, it was the intention this year to celebrate 50 years of the Elan by having one of each series on the stand as well as a racer (26R) and an odball (my SuperSprint), sadly the owners of the S1 and S2 we needed were unable to oblige, therefore we had a bit of a gap, but the 26R sort of made up for the early cars and the leggy blondes seemed to like my car enough to allow a lecherous old git to talk them into posing in the seats for pictures. I thought it was good fun and well worth the effort and time.

It was a record attendance and as Pete Taylor mentioned, it wasn't the same old cars that always do the rounds, there was lots of new old stuff everywhere in a very presentable condition. Probably the best show for a long time.

Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:13 am

I did make it & met up with Alan Thomas & Brian Clarke. Here are my Pictures...

First, the Club Lotus stand cars including a shot of Alan, Brian & myself, it was a pleasure to meet you guys.

Then the Elans on the Lotus Driver's Club - no owners present when I was there unfortunately.

Just realized that there wasn't a single FHC on exhibit!
Attachments
ClassicCarShow_NEC2012_047sm.jpg and
Myself, Alan & Brian in front of Alan's "Supersprint"
ClassicCarShow_NEC2012_036sm.jpg and
Stunning 26R
ClassicCarShow_NEC2012_044sm.jpg and
Brian, his Sprint & a banana...
ClassicCarShow_NEC2012_035sm.jpg and
Beautiful S3
ClassicCarShow_NEC2012_031sm.jpg and
Nice S4...
ClassicCarShow_NEC2012_033sm.jpg and
Alan's pride & joy
ClassicCarShow_NEC2012_021sm.jpg and
Beautiful S2
ClassicCarShow_NEC2012_019sm.jpg and
Nice S4 DHC
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:17 pm

Nice pics! Wish I was there right now... :?

AB..
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:51 pm

I was told by a guy who said he knew the car and owner that it isn't a genuine 26R. Is that correct?
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:10 pm

:roll: :wink:
stevebroad wrote:I was told by a guy who said he knew the car and owner that it isn't a genuine 26R. Is that correct?

Steve,
We had a lot of fun over the weekend. Some of the best conversations were started by discussing the 26R

When asked about it's provenance we generally said the following:

" This is one of the 250 surviving examples of the 98 originally built" :lol: :mrgreen: :twisted:

The car has FIA papers and is a 26R, it's not an original factory car, but who cares, it's cool and it wins races including the Elan 50th anniversary at Brands Hatch, just look at the Youtube footage here, great car, leads from the start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQmq4eSMjLw

Some more great footage here from the back of the grid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ0_YbUapgE
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:24 pm

Yes, I was told that on the stand. My response is that if it is fitted with 26R parts then, as Elans are made up of spare parts anyway, it is a 26R but just not made by the factory :-)

I am not a purist (as can be seen from my project) but I am a pedant so I think there should be a distinction made between factory and private versions.

Having said that, I agree that it is a great looking car. Is the engine as factory?
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:15 am

stevebroad wrote:Yes, I was told that on the stand. My response is that if it is fitted with 26R parts then, as Elans are made up of spare parts anyway, it is a 26R but just not made by the factory :-)

I am not a purist (as can be seen from my project) but I am a pedant so I think there should be a distinction made between factory and private versions.Having said that, I agree that it is a great looking car. Is the engine as factory?

For FIA 26R certification the complete car has to be to pre-1966 specifications.
The engine in the 26R on our stand was built by John Smirthwaite to the same specifications as the original factory 26Rs. The only difference is that the engine consists of currently made parts - i.e. new block & head, forged steel crank & conrods. The head has to have the original small valve sizes and the sump has to be the original rope seal type, etc. etc..
You can buy these cars to order, but the real value will depend upon the race provenance - as it does with the factory built originals.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: