Anyone going to Limerock Historics Labor Day weekend?

PostPost by: khamai » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Please say "Hello" to a friend and fellow Lotus enthusiast, Chris Locke. Chris will be at Lime Rock with his Lotus 77, ex-Andretti car. Chris has some fun stories about his Ron Howard "Rush" experience. And, Chris has an interesting Elan connection, it was his S3 Elan that Clive Chapman drove on parade laps of Laguna Seca in 1995. It was Clive's FIRST time ever driving an Elan!!! It was the start of a great friendship between Chris and Clive. Today when the 77 is in Europe it is supported and cared for by Classic Team Lotus and Chris is often asked to drive CTLs Lotus 79.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Life is more fun behind the wheel of a Lotus!
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:43 pm

I was only able to be at Lime Rock on Saturday. I'll put a few more images up later. Clark Lance had a fuel problem in his S2 that did not have an obvious source. During his first session on Saturday he lost power, switched off on the downhill and coasted into the pits to discover a small fire between the carburettors in the cylinder head. Extinguished with very little damage. Clark and his brother then tore everything apart without really finding a problem. Clark did find some fire damage to his distributor cap and the o-ring holders (plastic). Carl Whitney stopped by to help tuning by ear after everything was back together. Dave Belden lost the clutch in his first session on Friday so I never saw him run. Dave is the one who always tells me get get there early if I was to see him run. He was debating bringing the IX home and putting a new clutch in on Sunday and returning to race today. I don't know what the final decision was. I found Dick Fryberger checking the tire pressures on his XI. Dick was very fast as usual but was grouped with the Chaparral Mk1 so he didn't have a chance of an outright win.
Attachments
Clark Lance's Elan in the paddock.jpg and
Hmmm - toasty.jpg and
Tuning by ear.jpg and
Dave Belden's IX.jpg and
Dick Fryberger's XI.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:11 am

A few more from Saturday. The historic F1 cars were great, I had not heard a DFV on full song since the last real F1 race in the States at Watkins Glen in the mid 80s (screw Bernie!). What an amazing shriek of noise on the No Name Straight. The last one is clearly not a Lotus but the most spectacular 250 GT I have ever seen.
Attachments
Richard Meyer's XI.jpg and
Type 30.jpg and
Nick Grewal's Type 23.jpg and
Bill Bartlett's 51C.jpg and
Oh my, a 79..jpg and
Elite.jpg and
Eclat.jpg and
250 GT.jpg and
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:31 am

Hi Russ

Thanks for posting the pictures. I was set to go out Friday but the temperature scared me off. I hid in the garage and tried to finish what I had started on Thursday instead. I was on a roll so I kept at it on Saturday and mated the shell to the chassis. I am sorry I missed another year at Lime Rock but stuff happens and then stuff happens, if ya know what I mean.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: CBUEB1771 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:38 pm

piss-ant wrote:I was set to go out Friday but the temperature scared me off.

From what everyone told me Friday was disgustingly hot and humid. On Saturday morning as I drove west on the Mass Pike I could hardly see the Berkshires in the distance because of the humidity. Fortunately the wind picked up early on Saturday afternoon and it got a lot more comfortable. I spent nearly all the time in the paddock so no race photos. I forgot to take a picture of Tony Thompson's S1 Seven (our local Tony, not the other one in the UK).
Russ Newton
Elan +2S (1971)
Elite S2 (1962)
CBUEB1771
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:17 pm

Well we had fun running the Alfas!

Met up with Dave (Lotus XI w/ clutch failure) & Clark with his Elan & had a good natter. Unfortunately did not meet up with Russ or Ross, though I did see Ross' strategically parked car about 50 times...

I'll try not to duplicate the pictures too much, Sir Stirling Moss was guest of honour, he was a riot at the dinner Friday night. Saddest event was Roy's crash in 26R-S2-7... I expect he will have Tony Thompson on fast dial...

p.s. I was hoping this event would celebrate 50 years of the Elan, there were just 3 road cars there that I saw!
p.p.s. Clark I have some good pictures of you & you car if you want them, just send me your e-mail by pm.
Attachments
LimeRock2012_0285r.jpg and
Stirling in one of his old cars...
LimeRock2012_0234r.jpg and
Beautiful 23
LimeRock2012_0147r.jpg and
Nice S4
LimeRock2012_0140r.jpg and
XI in parking lot
LimeRock2012_0115r.jpg and
26R after
LimeRock2012_0098r.jpg and