LOG 32

PostPost by: PanoGuy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:35 am

Stateside we are coming up on the thirty second Lotus Owners Gathering, in Orlando Florida in October. They are featuring the 50th anniversary of the Elan, and would not slight anyone who chooses to celebrate the 60th of the Mk VI.
Just checking to let you know, and see who is coming. I am considering breaking with my tradition of arriving without my Lotus. I have never driven it a thousand miles at one go. Ross will laugh at that.
PanoGuy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:44 am

I'm going to try to make it, since it's almost in my backyard this year. I've never been to one before, but have had my Sprint for almost 25 years now. The Monday run around the Sebring track has my interest (right on my way back home.) Someone here mentioned that they might even take their Elan to Florida on the Autotrain.

If you do drive there, be careful of the towns of Waldo and Lawtey, Florida (north of Gainesville) both on Hwy 301; they're notorius speed traps. They are the only two official speed traps in the US designated by the American Automobile Association! There are even billboards on the side of the road warning drivers about how bad these towns are! If you take I-95 south, there are always highway patrol cars prowling the Interstate around Micanopy, Florida too. You've been warned! :)

That said, I hope to see you there!

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:04 am

I am registered. I'm coming down from the Atlanta area. Just wrapping up my paint job/semi resto on my '72 Sprint and need to get the bugs out first.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:47 pm

I have sent in the paper work and waiting for confirmation back. Hotel not booked yet. Will be coming from Alberta, 4,404 km (2,736 miles) according to Dr. Google. Hard to believe, but I wouldn't get the distance award if someone comes from Seattle. Actual route will likely be different though at about 5,200 km (3,200 miles). Not sure if I will use a trailer yet. Hoping to hook up with Ross Robbins (and others?) in Denver for an excellent route proposed here.

left-side-pond-f29/trip-log-celebrate-elan-t24452.html

Cool part for me is about 2/3 of the route I have never driven or seen from the ground.

Anyone else going thru Denver or Austin? Would be fun to hook up, even just for the run across the Gulf.

Signed up for the full Sebring track day with instructors. Dean assures me they have an appropriate class for old fat slow guys. 8) Hoping to get down to Key West for a Margaretta after the event and take a different route back home.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:40 pm

Panoguy: No laughing here, just an encouraging word :D There is a first time for everything and this could be it for your new long range driving habit :twisted:

Stu;

Excellent News. I will work on a route for easy running on two lane roads as much as possible. Give me a ring or provide a phone number for me as I do much better planning with a dialogue rather than a few emails or posts. (303) 9two3 8one38.

I registered weeks ago now I'm getting excited to hit the road. I feel like Eric Stratton in Animal House..."Road Trip!" :lol: :lol:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DeanG » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:49 pm

My wife & I will be attending. We will probably be driving our 1991 Elan (M100) unless I can't get it fixed (bad master cylinder and odd engine noises) then we will probably drive our 1967. 1991 convertible A/C wins over no A/C in a FHC.

This will be our 20th LOG. I looking forward to seeing everyone both old friend and new.
DeanG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: PanoGuy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:30 am

Well I must admit I am thinking of taking the Auto Train down and then a long meandering drive home. Not sure if Amtrack really can deal with anything as small and fragile as an Elan.
Then again I have driven it close to a thousand mile in the last couple of months with no drama. But there is an argument to arrive in a more relaxed state considering that I do have a function at the event.
I am not good at math (except when it deals with rotating cameras and moving film) but this might be my 25th LOG. Maybe only my 24th, not sure.
PanoGuy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:58 am

PanoGuy, the Auto Train sounds like a terrific option. I see on their web site that they only require 4" ground clearance, which should be cool for the Lotus. Might be worth a call though.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:55 pm

1991 convertible A/C wins over no A/C in a FHC.

A/C? What is this A/C of which you speak :?: :roll: Does this mean you keep cool when it is hot?
FHC? What is this FHC of which you speak :?: Does this mean you keep dry when it rains?

Is this a Lotus Elan forum or a Buick forum :twisted: :twisted:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Ross Robbins wrote:

:lol:
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PanoGuy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:51 am

Ross, I've read Peter Egan's great stories about epic drives (and flights) over the years, and recently your wonderful work about the return from Gettysburg (excellent advice there). All quite an inspiration, but for some reason I find 150 miles in a day quite satisfying enough. I suppose I need to venture further out, this is , what, my 24th LOG? I did arrive in an Elan one of those.
I need to try a few 350 mile days. I've only done them bringing home the new toy. And they were never very relaxed or pleasant.

So what tools and parts should I pack?
PanoGuy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DeanG » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:12 pm

Ross Robbins wrote:

A/C? What is this A/C of which you speak :?: :roll: Does this mean you keep cool when it is hot?
FHC? What is this FHC of which you speak :?: Does this mean you keep dry when it rains?

Yes A/C keeps you cool when its hot.

A FHC does not keep you dry, possibly dryer. It partly depends on the temperature and rain. If it is hot and raining then you get wet because you need the windows open to stay cool. It isn't as elemental as my 1977 MGB daily driver was. It was elemental in that it put you in touch with the elements. You were dry when it was dry, hot when it was hot, wet wen it was wet... Kind of like driving a weather guesser.
DeanG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DeanG » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Hurry! Regular Pre-Registration for LOG32 Orlando ends September 1st! Register now and save a few bucks. You may use the registration form in your ReMarque, or if you can't stomach destroying such a beautiful magazine, download it from Lotus Ltd's website at www.Lotuscarclub.org
DeanG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DeanG » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:52 pm

LOG32 special guests are two famous drivers: Vic Elford and Derek Bell. They both drove a Lotus early in their careers. They've also run manuy laps around Sebring International Raceway.

Sebring is also the venue for the High Performance Driver's Education day. There will also be a 1 hour lunchtime touring session.

Tow of the Bond (James Bond) movie Esprits from; The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only will be on display at LOG.

Don't forget this is the 50th Anniversary of the Elan. One of the ways this will be celebrated is by having the Elan of Ms. Peels from the 60's TV series, the Avengers, on display.

For those with artistic talent, we are happy to announce, the Art Contest will be in full swing. We urge you to bring your masterpiece and we'll be sure to place it in the proper category.

Life long friends and memories are made at LOG. Attend LOG and make memories and friends.
DeanG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DeanG » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:56 pm

The information here hasn't made it to the LOG web site yet.

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com ... xI5fp_I%3D

A video of the Sebring track.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NolOXKTQYf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
DeanG
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: