Elans Needed for C&SC Feature

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:49 am

Club Lotus members will have received this message, but I'm giving it wider coverage on here:

From James Elliot of Classic & Sports Car magazine:As promised, info on the big C&SC Elan road test!

Here's the score if you think you can help.

The truth is I would much rather use owner cars so I can meet and talk to the people who run them, so any cars that you can help us source would be an enormous help and naturally we would plug the club in the feature.

Obviously, we are on a very short timescale so it would help if I could know as soon as possible about anything that I might need to try and source elsewhere if it is going to be difficult.

The details are that we have just booked Curborough in Lichfield for May 10 and would like to get a thorough (though not complete) set of Elans covering most of the important bases to mark the 50th and do a big feature for C&SC.

This would mean: S1, S2, S3 SE, Sprint, 26R, +2 and +2S 130/5

The criteria for the cars is that:

1) Either the S3 or the Sprint must be a fixed-head.

2) All the cars should be original-ish (sensible modification welcome, but no hot-rods and preferably no silly wheels, or roll bars in the open cars) and genuine examples of the model (especially the S1 and the 26R).

3) They shouldn't all be the same colour. A nice range would be perfect.

4) They need to be presentable for photography and ideally not have appeared too recently in any other classic car magazine.

5) The owners will need to be OK with me testing the cars. Rest assured that this is not all-out performance testing and I am always very cautious and mechanically sympathetic with other people's cars. Plus we will insure them for me to drive on the day.

Also, in case it needs mentioning to make a difference, I have driven everything from a Mini to a GTO, regularly competed (though I know how to drive safely and slowly too) and, perhaps most importantly, have been an Elan owner myself (1966 S2 and then 1968 +2) since 1999.

We will reimburse owners for their fuel against receipts, feed and water them on the day (though Curborough is always a bit difficult we will make sure they get something) and will supply them with a disc of all the images of their car, plus a couple of issues of the magazine when it comes
out.

Phew, I think that's it, but I wanted you to be fully appraised of the requirements from the outset.

If you or any of the owners would like to speak to me about it, it can be done via e-mail, [email protected] or on 020 8267 5307 or 07768 556286

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:15 am

2) All the cars should be original-ish (sensible modification welcome, but no hot-rods and preferably no silly wheels, or roll bars in the open cars) and genuine examples of the model (especially the S1 and the 26R).

:cry: That's me out of the picture then :cry:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:32 pm

You'll get your own back at Castle Coombe, Alan :D

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:You'll get your own back at Castle Coombe, Alan :D

Mark

Mark,
Looking forward to it massively. Do you fancy a passenger ride, there should be 3 cars to choose from; Europa zetec, Duratec Elan, +2 zetec or would this be the equivalent of me accepting a ride in a LoCort? Not sure you would get your lofty height into the passenger seat of a Europa, unless you know differently?

Alan
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Pity they don't want my genuine Ian Walker BRM Shapecraft. :cry:

I might pop along and see what's happening, that day is not only my birthday, it's the 40th anniversary of my Sprint being registered. :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: