2012 All British Field Meet - Vancouver BC Canada

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:25 pm

Saturday, May 19th 2012 (Victoria Day Weekend)
VanDusen Gardens, Vancouver, BC

Lotus will be a Featured Marque to celebrate 60 years of Lotus since 1952. The write-up here mentions the Elan. The MGB and Norton are also being featured this year.

http://www.westerndriver.com/?page_id=3527

Randy (Sea Ranch), Bill (Keep your stick on the ice!) and I attended last year, and it is a terrific show. They have a reception event on Friday at the venue. I found the host hotel to be great as well, with lots of fun in the pub and parking lot with other attendees. I haven't registered yet, but have received the emails from Joan Stewart.

In addition there is The Vancouver Whistler All British Run on Sunday May 20, 2012. This was an excellent drive up to the 2010 Winter Olympic site, with the participating cars displayed in the Olympic Plaza for the day.

Randy, check out the photo on the poster. :) With that kind of Plus 2 participation this is a 'must go' year! Hope you don't take your car to bits until after the event. :)

If you are down in the Pacific Northwest this would make a great event. As it is an organized show my insurance provider extended my annual mileage limit to drive down, which is a great deal.
Attachments
2012 Poster.jpg and
2012 ABFM Poster featuring the prettiest Lotus four seater.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Tue May 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Well, I think I am sorted and ready to go. :) Just need to make sure the door latches work get the interior door panels back on. Car is starting & running well, ready for the big trip. (~2,500 km's depending on the route details down and back). Booked for the Whistler Run again, which is a terrific drive.

Hope to hook up with Randy (Sea Ranch) and Bill (Keep your stick on the ice) at the show. :)
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Tue May 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Have fun Stu and make us proud to be Lotus owners with your lovely Plus 2! I hope you'll see Randy and Bill there as well.
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat May 19, 2012 5:15 am

Quick post to say I arrived in Vancouver after a two day trip through the Rockies and Selkirk mountains. Terrific drive. 30 mpg at 60 to 80 mph, hardly any traffic, and no snow! :) Sunroof open the whole drive.

Bummer this morning though. Starter motor is not working correctly; it spins and sometimes sort of engages, but won't hook up. Fortunately the British car guys are experienced at pushing. Have the car at the venue parking lot pointed down hill, and a quick push should get me on the field for the day.

Report at the Beer & Bull tonite was 550 cars registered, and sunny weather expected. Lots of cars from Washington and Oregon in the hotel lot. Poster in our registration kit includes a really nice original poster of four Loti, Elite, Seven, ?lan & Europa. New Loti on display by the local dealer as well. Hope to see some of the guys tomorrow.

Cheers!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon May 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Quick note to post some pix . . . my photography is not so great this year but hopefully they'll serve the purpose.

Weather was pay-back for the pretty much constant rain/spray last year: 2012 show had lovely sun all day. I heard closer to 650 cars/bikes and largest showing of Lotus ever (50+ cars, Stu?). And for those who haven't met Stu, he's like a mobile party; fun-loving, full of stories and so kind!
Attachments
PIC_0040.JPG and
Stu's car, red and running. Amazing how many miles he's done over the last couple years!
PIC_0041.JPG and
Stu seated, with hat.
PIC_0042.JPG and
Bryan Wicks' car . . . sublime. Restored from a basketcase.
PIC_0043.JPG and
PIC_0044.JPG and
Shell on display. Gorgeous prep . . . got us all talking about the best way and best people for the job
PIC_0047.JPG and
A hand-built Eleven replica, complete with Coventry Climax (only the front & rear shells came from Westfield). Mmmm . . .
PIC_0050.JPG and
PIC_0058.JPG and
Bill (dark shirt), with his car, patiently trying to explain to the gentleman that he wouldn't fit in an Elan . . .
PIC_0061.JPG and
My car . . . may be the last outing before I do a mechanical rebuild :(
PIC_0064, cropped.JPG and
Stu on his way out . . . See you next year, pal!
Last edited by Sea Ranch on Sun May 27, 2012 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue May 22, 2012 5:03 am

It was a great show and was teriffic to talk to everybody. The only problem i had was that I forgot my camera.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue May 22, 2012 5:22 am

I think you just prefer to be in front of the camera instead of behind it, Bill!!! :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue May 22, 2012 4:57 pm

No I don,t - the car is prettier than I am!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed May 23, 2012 2:55 pm

Great fun this year!

The BC & Evergreen (Washington State) Lotus Clubs had an excellent dinner after the show at a really nice golf course. The cars were all parked right at the club house entrance which looked great.

I met Richard Chong of Richmond Auto Clinic at the dinner. He accommodated me on Tuesday morning, and had the starter re-built and in by 11:00 AM. If you didn't have a chance to meet him, he had a silver Esprit V8. Excellent mechanic and parts resource if you are in the area. The starter now works better than it ever did with a modified drive for the MT75 transmission & clutch set-up.

The Whistler Run on Sunday was great but wet. Fewer cars than last year at about 68 or so.

Took the Fraser Canyon to Spences Bridge, and then Highway 8 to Merritt. This is a gem of a road thru ranch country.

In Vernon this AM. Plan is Highway 6 and 23 to Revelstoke. This is a fantastic highway with two lake ferries along the way.

Cheers!

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed May 23, 2012 8:55 pm

Awesome itinerary, Stu; I'm envious of your time and travels.

But very happy for you that you connected with Richard; sorry that I didn't even think to recommend him to you and that I didn't meet him in person on Saturday. I've yet to get out to his shop, but have talked to him by phone. Hope that starter motor repair holds; that would be super.

Have a safe, fun trip . . .
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Thu May 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Well, I'm back!

Highway 6 thru Lumby is a fantastic road with lots of second and third gear corners. I made the first ferry with perfect timing, right when they were loading. One moment when a truck picked up a giant chunk of something and slammed it into the wind screen.

Highway 23 is more gentle sweepers. Nakusp is a great little town, just getting going after the long winter. The ferry ride at Galena Bay is a nice half hour break, but bring your own snack.

Great pulling into Revelstoke for gas and being able to rely on the starter. Last time thru I had a heck of a time pushing the car. A snack in Golden and in to Calgary last night.

1775 miles (2840 km) total in eight days. Around 28 to 30 mpg (US gallon I think; it's calculated on the iPhone). About four quarts of oil I think, but still leaking some while running. Other than the starter motor, which was never working correctly, the only problems with the car were a few remaining rain leaks and the window squirter tubing coming unbuttoned behind the dash. Car is handling much better with adjusted tire pressures. Feeling much more comfortable with the car as I get stuff sorted.

Cheers!
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: memini55 » Thu May 24, 2012 3:01 pm

Stu,

Sounds like a wonderful trip and loads of fun. Having the starter crap out adds to the adventure and challenge of keeping an old British rat running.
Now your oil loss or consumption does not sound good, thats a quart every 450 miles. I think you might wish to look into that one at the low cost of oil these days. One way to look at is that the you are helping the road crews to keep the blacktop in better condition. :lol:

Glad you had a good trip and thanks for your posts.

Mark
memini55
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sat May 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Stu;

Great photos and a wonderful recap of the trip. Instead of the Reader's Digest version though, how about all the details...there must be some stories of things not going well or things being brilliant, eh? :roll: :roll:

Now that you have a solid run under your belt, how about joining me to Orlando and Sebring in the fall :?: :!:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sat May 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Mea culpa, Randy. Upon further review I see it was you who took the photos. :oops: :oops: Credit where due Sir!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Sun May 27, 2012 4:52 am

No problem, Ross.

Actually, Stu's cell phone camera was apparently acting up, and I had left my Cannon at work, so was shooting with my video cam, which was less than satisfactory. So, not too many good ones to choose from this year.
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: