Oh Well

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:43 pm

I got this email from a member that thought I offered something that they did not. The following seems like a tech writer job to me, I can't even spell so this kind of talk is just silly. Anyway As the first sentence sums up my feelings pretty well and the whole idea of doing something like this here on this forum only to loose it under a mountain of jokes and jabs is not anything that I feel would be a good waste of time. I put the topic here so maybe it could be found. I know there are some people here that can write and do a very good job of it, if someone wanted to put something together maybe Jeff could post it somewhere where it could be found by those interested. Maybe this would be a good spot to work out the details.

"Elan.net is very boring at the moment, we need to liven it up in a good way if possible. I have a good idea for a new topic that I am not qualified to start but you could do it easily and that's titled
''How to make your Elan run and drive correctly''
There are so may people faffing around with their cars and applying all sorts of rocket science trying to fix basic problems that are just maintenance issues that I wonder if they ever turn a wheel.
1) make a list of your cars problems
2) prioritize fixes with a bias towards safety:- fix the brakes and steering before playing around with the engine timing
3) draw up a regular maintenance schedule and stick to it:- follow the old Lotus A, B & C service items. Maintenance shouldn't be treated as a mileage specific item
4) regular use will highlight any other issues
5) If you are rebuilding or restoring don't be tempted to re-use things like the loom unless you are totally certain it's in good working and reliable order, the same goes for distributors and carburettors, if you paid $5000 getting the engine refreshed you would be stupid to use the old dizzy and carbs unless they had got the treatment as well, but it seems from reading the Elan.net pages that most pay no attention to this

maybe I am qualified after all :-), but people will take more notice of you!

Regards"
Last edited by Guest on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:08 pm

Well Gary, it's a good idea, but I would say to the author of the note to you that it's already been done. The combination of service schedules in the workshop manual, the workshop manual itself. combined with Brian Bucklands book and the parts manual just about covers it. Well over 1000, maybe heading towards 2000 pages of stunningly detailed, illustrated and structured information which took many man years to create by real experts. There isn't a lot missing. If someone wants to re-do these books, then accomodating the hundreds or thousands of 'new' pages on a forum is going to be an interesting exercise.

I'm still not sure that folks understand what a forum is, as compared to a library of information.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:12 pm

Hi Mark

That's easy, we just have to tell everyone "it's in Brian Buckland book, go buy it" or that old standby "it's in the archives". Seems like folks all have their own Idea of what they come here for. As I have eluded to in the past I want to read and write about Elans.

Gary

p.s. that part about a boring forum in the email still seems to be a problem! :)
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:02 pm

I don't think it's a binary issue of either tell chapter and verse on the forum or tell them to 'go look it up'.

Most people on this forum are a lot more user friendly than that!

If somebody asks a question like 'how to I go about restoring my car', folks will give a major breakdown of the steps involved, talk about the pitfalls, the costs, the sequence of doing things, and point them to the appropriate books that will help them. Not many of us have read all the books from cover to cover, and people can be helped considerably by being pointed to the appropriate book and the appropriate place in that book....and that happens on here, and quite often.

I would be interested to understand what really does get talked about. I would reckon that a lot of chat is about mods to the Elan, stuff that isn't covered by the books. And also of course, how to convert back from modified to standard when the modifications make things worse! Nah, that last bit was just me! But the 'how to do stuff' with standard cars is pretty minimal really.

For the guy who emailed you saying he thought that the forum was boring, I would ask why he spends his time being bored. Either go and do something else, or change things for the better. Just look at the stuff that Brian Buckland, Tim Mees and Greg Paris achieved....I never heard any of them saying they were bored, they just got on with it and made a difference. And they were / are just blokes, the same as anybody else.

I would love to see an article about 'How to make your Elan run properly', with all the appropriate references to the work that's already been completed. But it comes back again to what a Forum can and should be used for vs. a library of information. Currently it is a forum only....maybe somebody should start a library website to sit alongside this one with regard to restoration and maintenance of Elans?

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:26 pm

www.lotuselan.net has a library, the problem is its nearly 10 years old and the owner seems to have a life to live and its not here. I really don't know what this forum is good for but it kills some time that is available when I can't sleep. Like counting sheep, counting Elans just seems like more fun and you don't need any stinky boots.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:00 pm

piss-ant wrote: I really don't know what this forum is good for

A small sample of what others have said...

"The last 3 years i have been lurking on this great forum weekly. For almost every question i could find an answer in the archive or on the active topics. I want to thanks all of you for the great information on this forum"

"Hi everyone, I'm a bit new to this site, but have been amazed at the depth of knowledge and general helpfulness from the posts I've been reading"

"Many thanks for all the help and advice I've recieved from this site so far..."

"As a newbie to this community who is restoring his Elan after 24 years of sitting idle, I wanted to thank everyone for the many answers that have already guided me"

"Great thanks for the depth and volume of responses"

"Guys thank you all for your welcomes and words of encouragement!"

"Thanks. You guys are great, replies and great advice already"

"After 6 months or so of working hard at it (ably assisted by you kind people people on this forum), I finally have the Elan S2 ready to hit the road"

"Hi guys, nice place here, maybe someone has technical information for a beginner with a S3 SE dhc"

"Thanks for the really quick responses, what a great forum"

...The list could go on (including those where your photos have been of great help).

Richard

P.S. Hope Beau is back on top form and that he & you have a great holiday.
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:08 pm

I have to say, this forum was a life saver when I first got my Elan. Not running, needing lots of small fixes, I was searching for some honest information. This is where I learned about Brian's book, and bought one the same day. Between the book, forum, and the wonderful collection of posts, including the ones by Keith Franck, it made my life much easier and kept my spirits up. And I still keep learning.

Even though I have sorted all the running issues, with one exception, need a stiffer wire to the water valve for the heater, I still look forward to my morning coffee and a jaunt through the forum. Does it stray from the subject on occasion, of course it does, and so much the better. It got me to wondering if at one time I may have packaged the cat on a well sodded Christmas Eve and forgot about it. I think I used to have a cat....

Rob Walker
26-4889
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SonnyS » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:17 am

piss-ant wrote:I got this email from a member

come out, come out whoevr you are. seems the form needs you right now...

Regards - Sonny
SonnyS
New-tral

Total Online: