Lotus Elan

NEC Classic Car Show

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:14 pm

elansprint71 wrote:Oops!
I spoke to the two folks sitting behind the table and asked them if anyone from the Club Lotus website Elan was around and was met with stares of incomprehension and they pointed me at the owner of Club Lotus, who's name, for the minute, escapes me and the owner of "that Sprint" who's name sounded Italian and also escapes me! I had quite a good natter with both of them.



Oh dear Pete, a major faux whassisname :wink:
I don't think that Alan Morgan (the "owner") was anywhere around; maybe as a visitor?
I met up with BCM33 (Brian) on that stand & the owner of "that Sprint", a lovely guy & he let me sniff all around it.
Italian name but has lived in Bath (pronounced Baath in Somerset) for most of his life.
Lovely chatting to him; made I feel right at home, oh arr, oh arr :D

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati


Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
User avatar
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Location: Burnham-on-Mud

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:37 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:
bcmc33 wrote:
elansprint71 wrote:I managed to miss just about everybody; although I did speak to the folks on The Club Lotus stand and had a good look at that very well modded Sprint.

Correction: Club Lotus does not make, or offer, any support for the stand. For the last 3 years it has been organised and funded by the members of our local Staffordshire branch.



A point well made Brian!

The LDC had, as always a good & well visited stand, where as I understand they managed to recruit new members & provide a healthy income for the club via sales of club stuff & an interesting raffle.
It is indeed strange that Club Lotus have always(?) treated the NEC show as something of secondary importance, bearing in mind that it is the biggest UK show & THE place to find new club members.

John,
I resisted the temptation of mentioning LDC (of which I am a member), that has always embraced the NEC show with the right attitude. Maybe Club Lotus do not require more members. :roll:
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
User avatar
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Location: Aldridge, West Midlands, UK.

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:58 pm

elansprint71 wrote:Oops!
I spoke to the two folks sitting behind the table and asked them if anyone from the Club Lotus website Elan was around and was met with stares of incomprehension and they pointed me at the owner of Club Lotus, who's name, for the minute, escapes me and the owner of "that Sprint" who's name sounded Italian and also escapes me! I had quite a good natter with both of them.

Well, Pete, if it had been me you were speaking to about Club Lotus website Elan I would not have known what you were talking about.
I don't know who you were pointed at, but Alan Morgan was not at the show.

As it happens, over the weekend I gave numerous interested people details of LotusElan.net.

Tony, the owner of the yellow BDG Sprint is of Italian descent, but speaks with the broadest Somerset accent I've ever heard - we had constant good humoured banter all weekend.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
User avatar
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Location: Aldridge, West Midlands, UK.

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:32 pm

bcmc33 wrote:
elansprint71 wrote:Oops!
I spoke to the two folks sitting behind the table and asked them if anyone from the Club Lotus website Elan was around and was met with stares of incomprehension and they pointed me at the owner of Club Lotus, who's name, for the minute, escapes me and the owner of "that Sprint" who's name sounded Italian and also escapes me! I had quite a good natter with both of them.

Well, Pete, if it had been me you were speaking to about Club Lotus website Elan I would not have known what you were talking about.
I don't know who you were pointed at, but Alan Morgan was not at the show.

As it happens, over the weekend I gave numerous interested people details of LotusElan.net.

Tony, the owner of the yellow BDG Sprint is of Italian descent, but speaks with the broadest Somerset accent I've ever heard - we had constant good humoured banter all weekend.



Ah that's it, Tony!
What a nice guy he is & he has an incredible accent which makes mine sound quite insignificant.
He told me he's called called "farmer" by his friends, which reminded me of an ex-girlfriend from Dartford who used to call me "a carrot cruncher"

Anyway all of that apart, I can see the basis of a debate here:-

"When is a Sprint no longer a Sprint?"

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati


Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
User avatar
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Location: Burnham-on-Mud

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:33 pm

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Anyway all of that apart, I can see the basis of a debate here:-

"When is a Sprint no longer a Sprint?"

I've known Tony for a couple of years, and every time I see him I tell him that his car is an abject disgrace and an abomination to masquerade as an Elan - which is simply to hide my pitiful jealousy :twisted:

If it looks the part - then it is a Sprint.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
User avatar
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Location: Aldridge, West Midlands, UK.

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:00 pm

bcmc33 wrote:
GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Anyway all of that apart, I can see the basis of a debate here:-

"When is a Sprint no longer a Sprint?"

I've known Tony for a couple of years, and every time I see him I tell him that his car is an abject disgrace and an abomination to masquerade as an Elan - which is simply to hide my pitiful jealousy :twisted:

If it looks the part - then it is a Sprint.


Well that's certainly thrown down the gauntlet :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati


Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
User avatar
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Location: Burnham-on-Mud

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Image
User avatar
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 4438
Joined: 16 Sep 2003
Location: Cheshire, UK.

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:24 am

Apart from those louvers in the bonnet, that has to be the best looking modified Elan I've ever seen....and probably the best spec as well if you want fast, faster, fastest!!

Those arches look just right.

Mark
User avatar
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2949
Joined: 04 Oct 2005
Location: Forest Of Dean, Gloucestershire

PostPost by: trw99 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:30 am

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:
bcmc33 wrote:
GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:Anyway all of that apart, I can see the basis of a debate here:-

"When is a Sprint no longer a Sprint?"

I've known Tony for a couple of years, and every time I see him I tell him that his car is an abject disgrace and an abomination to masquerade as an Elan - which is simply to hide my pitiful jealousy :twisted:

If it looks the part - then it is a Sprint.


Well that's certainly thrown down the gauntlet :lol:


"Pah! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die"

:P
User avatar
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: 31 Dec 2003
Location: Essex/Herts border, UK

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:09 am

Elanintheforest wrote:Apart from those louvres in the bonnet, that has to be the best looking modified Elan I've ever seen....and probably the best spec as well if you want fast, faster, fastest!!

Those arches look just right.

Mark

Ignoring my jealous rantings - I believe the louvres should be in body colour. Tony passionately disagrees with that view.

Regarding the wheel arches; visitor opinions over the weekend were mixed - I agree with you Mark, they look perfect.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
User avatar
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Location: Aldridge, West Midlands, UK.

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:38 am

bcmc33 wrote: I believe the louvres should be in body colour. Tony passionately disagrees with that view.


Do both louvred plates have a corresponding hole in the bonnet, or is that a trick of the light in Pete's photo?
bdg.jpg and



Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Outta Here

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 am

"Pah! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die"

Unfair, stick to the rules of combat Tim! I had to Wiki that :wink:
Beware of the Illuminati


Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
User avatar
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Location: Burnham-on-Mud

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:49 am

bcmc33 wrote:
Elanintheforest wrote:Apart from those louvres in the bonnet, that has to be the best looking modified Elan I've ever seen....and probably the best spec as well if you want fast, faster, fastest!!

Those arches look just right.

Mark

Ignoring my jealous rantings - I believe the louvres should be in body colour. Tony passionately disagrees with that view.

Regarding the wheel arches; visitor opinions over the weekend were mixed - I agree with you Mark, they look perfect.


Yes those arches are some of the best I've seen & they deserve a place of honour on the good, bad & ugly thread.
The angle which they were photographed from doesn't do them full justice.
Nowt wrong with your Pic. Pete-----Honest

John
Beware of the Illuminati


Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
User avatar
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Location: Burnham-on-Mud

PostPost by: terryp » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:05 am

GrUmPyBoDgEr wrote:"Pah! My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die"

Unfair, stick to the rules of combat Tim! I had to Wiki that :wink:


Great film! Another great line in the film ...... "Unless I'm wrong - and I'm never wrong"

You can't see this but I have been typing with my left hand ......but I am in fact right handed!


Dread Pirate Roberts
terryp
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1571
Joined: 29 Nov 2007

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:09 am

ardee_selby wrote:
bcmc33 wrote: I believe the louvres should be in body colour. Tony passionately disagrees with that view.


Do both louvred plates have a corresponding hole in the bonnet, or is that a trick of the light in Pete's photo?
bdg.jpg



Cheers - Richard

They are genuine air vents. The BDG generates a lot more heat than a standard Twink - particularly at 9000 revs through the gears.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
User avatar
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: 10 Apr 2006
Location: Aldridge, West Midlands, UK.
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests