2012 Festival of Speed

PostPost by: Coupe » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:56 pm

from the Goodwood Forum:

Alongside this central theme, the 2012 Festival will mark the 60th anniversary of Lotus Engineering. Inspired by the incomparable Colin Chapman, this small British company utilised unparalleled technical ingenuity to dominate all levels of motor sport, from club racing to Formula 1, creating a glorious and enduring legacy. A spectacular collection of winning Lotus cars, from F1, Indycars, saloons and sports cars, will be a key attraction at this year?s Festival.

Ben
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:02 pm

So what do we do about it?
How about a "Lotus only" car park (a bit like the Revival Car Show, but even more exclusive).
Maybe a club stand in the shopping area

Wonder what the organisers would let us do?
Any ideas?
Any contacts at Goodwood?

Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi Guys,
Very Interesting. I think a representation to the Goodwood organizers could be well worth the effort as space is not really an issue and I would be surprised if we were not offered 'something' in the way of some space to celebrate the Elans 50th if nothing else. No harm in asking. This needs some co ordinated thought and a good approach though, as we would only get one shot at it.

Tim / Mark... What do you think?

For me it would be the start of a fortnight holiday with a visit again to LeMans (possibly!) Or a (to be agreed) 'tour' somewhere. Could we get involved with the French and do a combined effort / display / club thing for E.G.?

No doubt our club (Lotus) members will have the same choice as last year. Book with Le Mob (Not for me, as I don't agree with Le Mob's profit making activities in the name of CL when the club should, and could, be doing more) Or.. do your own thing in virtual isolation. CL's parking was ok last classic but that was all one got. It was very poor!

I would be well up for taking part in a Goodwood/Le mans / tour and will be looking into who fancies what just after Xmas/new year time..

Alex... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: florawills » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:11 am

That's really very interesting and am very excited and waiting for this amazing 'festival of speed'...
florawills
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:23 am

Jolly good!

Of course we should have some Elan representation at the FoS. I'll get onto Alan Morgan about that.

As I have said in the 2012 Goodwood Revival thread, a number of us have approached the independently minded Goodwood organisation to persuade them to have an Elan race. I am wary of swamping them and creating Elan fatigue, though!

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:40 pm

Tim,

Sounds great, count me in on that as well.

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:36 pm

2012 Goodwood Revival to have one model Cobra race (in preference to an Elan race):

The finest collection of significant and authentic racing AC Cobras ever assembled in the UK will gather at next year?s Goodwood Revival (14-16 September 2012) for an exceptional one-model race. To mark the 50th anniversary since Carroll Shelby?s introduction of the initial versions of this cult Anglo-American sports car, the 2012 Revival will feature a grid exclusively made up of 30 Cobras and their derivatives. This special all-Cobra race will be a 45-minute two-driver competition, with driver changes in the pits between 15 and 30 minutes. It is expected that this one-off race will feature an extraordinary mix of historically-significant competition Cobras, including some of the special-bodied aerodynamic Cobra-based coup?s. Goodwood also hope that Carroll Shelby will be able to attend the 2012 Revival in person as well, although this is yet to be confirmed. The race promises to make for an intriguing spectacle and a fitting tribute to one of the world?s most revered, and copied, sports car which has a long association with Goodwood. An exceptional line-up of top drivers is expected to campaign the Cobras. More detailed information about this exclusive race will follow early next year.
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rmd24 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:14 pm

[

No doubt our club (Lotus) members will have the same choice as last year. Book with Le Mob (Not for me, as I don't agree with Le Mob's profit making activities in the name of CL when the club should, and could, be doing more) Or.. do your own thing in virtual isolation. CL's parking was ok last classic but that was all one got. It was very poor!

Alex, do I understand this to mean that Club Lotus France make a profit on their charges for entry and parking?

Roger.
rmd24
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Beats me! I booked our tickets for the event with CL UK and the parking was included. Fine. No issues with that but if you wanted to participate in any of the CL activities you had to be booked with LM... !! Or you were excluded. I found personally that LM were just about affordable but did the trips accom' etc for well under half the LM asked money. On talking to one or two LM participants it became clear that there were a few issues regarding quality of accom too. 'OK for the men' was the feeling but don't take your wife .. Etc.. 1 toilet/bathroom between quite a few rooms apparently.. I can live with that I think but I can't see why CL hand this events organization to an outside company who (quite rightly) need to make a profit.

On day two of the Classic we almost did not get to take advantage of the on site parking as we were turned away by Police! I had to stand my ground quite aggressively to get what we were promised, which was not much at all! Just a place to park in fact Disappointing in that respect. Virtually nothing going on on site. And with a wide open parking space we got well cooked in the very high temps.

Whether CL France wake a profit on the event or not I have not a clue. They would not allow us to park with them anyway..

So.. Next year we need to do something ourselves if we want to make an event of it. Hopefully CL will come up with an idea or two to consider.
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:42 pm

The big problem with the Lotus clubs parking last time at the LM Classicwas caused by the Historic club fencing off an area at least four times larger than that which they had been allocated. First up, best dressed. The fact that they then went on to win an award for their display was somewhat ironic!
Club Lotus France could not let any of the displaced UK cars on their pitch because they had only just got enough room for the cars they were expecting.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:33 pm

Oh Well! There were not many CL cars trying to use the allocated parking spot anyway! We felt quite lonely..Sob sob..

LOL.... Better luck next time perhaps?

All the best chaps!

Al' .....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Coupe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:20 am

More information about Lotus at the 2012 Festival of Speed.

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/festival-of-s ... stage.aspx
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:19 pm

Well I've gone and done it. I have mooched a ride and lodging from with my friends Liz and Rod Thonger to attend the Festival of Speed in June.

My hope is that I can meet anyone from this forum who is at the event and put a face to a name on the board. Fortunately for all of you, my screen name and my real name are the same so I should be easy to find and to make it even easier, I plan to wear my Yellow LOG 27 ball cap at least the first day.

I will look for you all as well and I know some who will be there know Rod and Liz so if you see them, please find me as I would very much enjoy getting to meet you personally.

I will also be going to the Le Mans Classic and will post that appropriately so as not to incur the wrath of those who monitor thread hijacking!
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Fri May 04, 2012 7:29 pm

I plan to be there on Thursday (Moving motor show) - free courtesy of the Telegraph.
Friday - again free courtesy of the local paper
Probably Saturday (or Sunday, haven't decided yet)

Now is there going to be an Elan car park? If so I'll take mine (otherwise it will probably be the Espace - the car parks can be VERY dusty!)

So how do we find each other?
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: simonknee » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:38 am

I'm thinking I should go along this year.
So is there any organised parking or would it be up to us to meet at a local petrol station and then head in convoy?
How many "us" are actually going?
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: