Lotus, Ltd - is it worth joining?

PostPost by: Tahoe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:07 pm

Every once in awhile I go their web site and look around. Not a whole lot there for me to get excited about, am I missing something? Of course I haven't joined so I don't have all the access those have joined have. I know they do LOG each year etc, but why else would I join? I'm not bashing them at all, just looking for some insite to the advantages of being a member.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:05 pm

The bi monthly color newsletter, edited by William Taylor of Coterie Press is quite excellent.
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:35 pm

+1 on the newsletter, which is more like a magazine format.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:18 pm

Hi Russ,

While I agree about the magazine (called the Re Marque, by the way and an excellent publication except that they accept sloppy writing from the likes of me), there is a lot more to the club than that; though less so for you in the western reaches of the country since Golden Gate Lotus club is a very strong presence with a very active and energized group of Lotus nuts and is not part of Lotus Limited. In 2011 the Lotus Owners Gathering (LOG) will be in Las Vegas and quite reachable for you. LOG attendance requires membership in LLtd, so, in my humble opinion, you may as well join now and be well informed on the upcoming event.

The LOG experience is like a class reunion where you get to connect the names with faces, only better since many of these names are new faces. I look forward to every LOG and do my best to attend them just to get a shot of Lotus joy. Every one has been fun and now I know enough folks after six of them that I spend more time in the bar swapping stories than I do driving. I have met more nice folks through the LOG experience than I ever expected and now have friends (well at least speaking acquaintances) around the world.

The roster that you will get as a member contains experts on each of the models who are willing to assist you and even more importantly, f you travel as I do, those willing to assist a traveler near their homes. I have used this benefit more than once a year. Better than AAA and cheaper too.:oops:

It is in my opinion a very worthwhile $60 to join and only $35 thereafter. Do it! :D :D
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:35 pm

Russ, I was a member for a year and simply let it lapse due to oversight and my inability to attend LOG this year. Plan to re-join, and definitely want to be a member when I attend my first LOG.

Next LOG is Vegas, which is probably as close as I can ever expect to Alberta :) . Pretty close to you as well. Only problem is October 14th is a bit late in the year for potential weather issues, but what the heck, if SO approval can be obtained I would really like to go.

Besides the obvious advantages of any club, I liked the idea of the roadside help. This looks similar to BMWMOA Anonymous Book, where club members are listed as able to provide expert help to fellow travelers. Never used this, but thought it could be well worth the $40 or $50 a year dues if I guy is getting the car out a bit. This system works very well for BMW bike riders, and expect it is good in Lotus Ltd. as well.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:00 am

Thanks everyone. I've been convinced to give it a one year try. I did know about LOG in Vegas, and was planning on giving it my best shot to attend. I say best shot because my work leaves me little time to enjoy the car hobby anymore. My 2011 goal is to cut way back on work and attend LOG and The Monteery Motorsports Reunion as a minimum. My wife and I talked about going to the Canadian F1 race next year as well. Monterey I've been doing since the late 70's and already have my camp site. The current plan is to drive the Elan to Monterey and Vegas next year. Another goal for the Elan is not to touch it cosmetically but to make sure it is mechanically sound to make it on lots of road trips next Summer and Fall. I even plan on having it at Hot August Nights in Tahoe next year. Last year there were very few classic sports cars in the event, mostly the typical streeet rod/hot rod contingent. I did run accross a group of 3 people last year that drove 2 real survivor Cobras and a TR-6. The Cobras were to die for, one was a '64 early 289, and the second a '67 427 and both were unrestored except for rebuilt engines. I'm also seriously concidering driving the Elan to speed week at Bonneville. I know alot of this is rambling had nothing to do with the original subject, but it is Christmas Eve and a man can dream can't he. :D
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Glenn M » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:07 pm

Old post, are there many members with older Lotus'?

Wish I was here in September for LOG.
Will be in Europe with the Triumph Club doing the 10 Country Run.

Cheers,
Glenn
69 Lotus Elan Plus 2
74 Alfa Romeo GTV
71 Triumph Stag
Glenn M
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:53 pm

Lotus Ltd is definitely worth joining for the local chapters, events including LOG and the tech support folks. If you travel with your Elan, there's a list of Lotus owners by geography who can help if you run into an issue, or just want to share a meal and beverage.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:36 pm

I'm a member. Looking through the roster there ARE a lot of owners of the older cars.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:52 pm

Wow, what a great blast from the past topic. I did actually attend LOG31 in Las Vegas, and a few more over the last 10 years. The oft heard line is “It’s the cars that brought you here the first time, it is the folks that bring you back”.

Glenn, the club is excellent value. There is a tradition of taking a panoramic photo of all the LOG participants and cars. Looking over my pictures expect about 20% to 30% of the cars to be from the sixties/seventies. Many of the current Elise / Exige / Evora folks used to own earlier cars as well.

Have a great time at LOG41. Unfortunately we are unable to make it this year.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: