Upcoming Lotus Show - Donington Next Year? Your views wanted

PostPost by: AlanM » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:38 pm

I'd agree that only charging a nominal amount for Autojumble stands or even making them free would be a great way of boosting the main show. I've also wanted to move it to a slightly later date for some time but Donington had such a crowded calendar they couldn't offer any dates in May/June.

Now that many events will have found new homes, Donington could be starting with a clean sheet of paper. I'm hoping that we'll be one of the first organisers to speak to them about 2011 and therefore we might have a wider choice.

I'll post an update following my meeting next Wednesday and in the meantime I'd really welcome any suggestions regarding timing etc.

Alan
AlanM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Alan
all Id think is that it'd depend if you were planning on a show/parts fair and then at a later date the auto jumble type event.....
if your just doing the one event then definately like the sound of may....
I also suppose it depends on the use/availability of the track......
heres me rambling on.....I'll be there anyway...no matter what month :)
I still remember driving home with the roof down after one in march when the temperature was just about freezing........ :mrgreen:
cheers
G
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:21 am

Alan my comments with regards to a free pitch for traders is only for bona fide lotus vendors & auto jumble & not the jewelry & pick & mix bunch also i would think donnington will be doing some good deals surely to get people back overheads are still there empty or not.
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:37 am

I like the idea of a free "paste-table" size pitch to get rid of some bits...it was only a few years ago that I left some bits on the Club Lotus stall for sale...never to be seen again...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AlanM » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:11 pm

As promised a brief update following my meeting at Donington.

There's certainly a lot of work to be done to get the hall back into shape. The cafe and bar have been completely removed, the office suites and foyer/cash desk are in a bad way and a vandal has smashed the toilets. The hall lighting has also been severely damaged and all the wiring and heating systems will need major renovation as well. One roller shutter door is missing and the others have had their lift mechanisms removed. The roof gulleys have failed in several plavces resulting in pools of rainwater on the floor. But at least it's still standing!

The circuit management are very keen to have us back and is currently investigating the feasaibility of carrying out refurbishment work over this winter. There's also the matter of cost as we're talking about a significant 6 figure sum.

I'll update again as soon as I have some more news.

Best wishes,

Alan
AlanM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:23 am

Alan,

Have you considered going back to Stoneleigh? It was that long ago, that I even took a table or 4 there. As I recall, the Stoneleigh shows were VERY sucessfull, and never spoke to anyone who had a bad word to say about the place, either location wise, as its fairly central, or the layout. The bonus for me there, is that all the parking, or Lotus parking, is under cover, and therefore looking round to see what people arrived in, is not weather dependant. And another bonus re the parking there, is that your car does not get covered in dust if its a blowy day, unlike Donington, with its cinder carpark. At least the overflow carpark is, and covers everything in muck.

I remember talking to you a couple of years back, after we moved from Stoneleigh, and I asked you why. You commented that when you arrived there to set up, the place was filthy, with some lights and the heating not working. I would have thought that those problems could be overcome, and from the people I speak to in Lotusland, Stoneleigh was BY FAR the most popular parts and show, you ever put on.

What do you think?

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john-c-elan+2 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 pm

I agree with Lesley, Stoneleigh was always a good venue. Centrally situated in the country
and easy access from motorways (unlike Malvern). So Alan is there any reason why we can't go back there for Lotus parts fair/show, especially in the absence of Donington ?
john
john-c-elan+2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: AlanM » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:47 pm

I'd agree that Stoneleigh would be a very good option but I may have a better one - return to Donington!

It now seems certain the exhibition centre will be refurbished over this coming winter. There's a hell of a lot of work to be done but Donington have assured me it will be completed by late Spring.

Now a lot of factors beyond anyone's control could influence the final completion date therefore I'm reluctant to say we'll organise the Show for early in 2011. The Elise Trophy is scheduled to race at Donington over the weekend of 20-21 August and the hall is free that weekend. I'm now thinking of a big summer gathering with a trackday on Friday and camping over the whole weekend with perhaps a bbq/entertainment on Saturday night.

Any thoughts?

Alan
AlanM
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:40 pm

I would think that holding it at that time of year, would result in probably the largest EVER turnout for a CL event, with the comensurate number of classic Lotus cars on show. I would certainly book any holidays either side of those dates, and I would anticipate a good deal of approval Alan.

Mind you, I still prefer Stoneleigh!

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:04 pm

I too would favour a Lotus gathering at Donnington at that stage of the summer. I know some folk will be on holiday then, though as Leslie says, if they really want to be there, they can book alternate dates.

It also strikes me that making it a long weekend (Fri/Sat/Sun) would give us in the UK the chance to have the equivalent of the US LOG meeting; an annual all-Lotus gathering, parts fair, concours d'elegance, track day and social rolled into one.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Alan

Can I book a ticket?

Thanks
John :wink:

P.S. and an amateur stall. (?10.00)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dusty » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Sounds good, I'd definitely travel over for that.
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SimonE » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Donington is the ideal location - as suggested perhaps later in the year, May/June?? - Stoneleigh is an absolute rank venue in my opinion ;)
SimonE
New-tral

PostPost by: RichardS » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:24 pm

Alan[/quote]
AlanM wrote: The Elise Trophy is scheduled to race at Donington over the weekend of 20-21 August and the hall is free that weekend. I'm now thinking of a big summer gathering with a trackday on Friday and camping over the whole weekend with perhaps a bbq/entertainment on Saturday night.

Sounds an excellent suggestion to me - my Sprint last went to Donington at a big Club Lotus meeting in the late 1980s and I would love to visit again. Going round the track was the highlight - I remember the bonnet lifting while going full bore down one of the straights - and having to hold it down with outstretched arm out of the window! A Friday trackday would certainly be of interest [the bonnet clips are properly adjusted now].

Count me in.

Richard
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:23 am

bcmc33 wrote:Malvern is 10 miles further than Donnington from where I live, so its not the travelling, but I still prefer Donnington Please don't ask why.

On reflection I guess I prefer Donnington because I can get there using mainly country roads. To do the same to Malvern would probably add a further 20 miles or more.

where is Donnington??....
I have always gone to Donington :)
sorry

I'll get mi coat
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: