Pub Lotus

PostPost by: archigator » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:13 am

I read on a motorsport nostalgia website that there was once a Pub Lotus, catering to motorsport clientelle.

"'Pub Lotus' - opened in north London about 1967 - Colin Chapman was there on the opening night pulling pints with Elan gear levers, I was there. It was I seem to remember a short lived enterprise."

Does anyone know any more about this fine establishment?

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:30 am

I have a photo in a book or mag somewhere.... Colin at the taps....laughing.... time to search the library.... back soon....
Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:04 am

I went there once whilst in London for a day. The place was a bit "barren", just a couple of Steering wheels & some Photos of Lotus race cars on the walls & it being lunchtime there were very few people in there.
I can imagine that there would have been huddles of "Anorac's" each trying to out do the the other with his/hers indesputable knowledge in the evenings.
Not the sort of place I would have enjoyed the odd pint or two in :roll:
The Pub was publicised in the "Club Lotus" magazine at the time & the name "Pub Lotus" seems to indicate that Graham Arnold was involved in some way.
I asked a similar question some months ago to Alan Morgan, Alan told me that he knew nothing of the Pub but would place the question in a forthcoming magazine to see if anyone had further information.

Oh yes I also remember seeing that Photo & it was the reason for my visit, hoping to bump into Colin or the likes.
How innocent can one be :oops:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'd love to see that shot of Colin at the tap.
I'm tempted to build my own bar at home, just to put in the Elan shifter pulls!

I've also collected a few plates from the Steering Wheel Club... a triangular plate with driver signatures, and a small ashtray/dish. Does anyone know if they also had full-sized Steering Wheel Club dinner plates with the logo in the center?

Thanks,

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:05 pm

archigator wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'd love to see that shot of Colin at the tap.
I'm tempted to build my own bar at home, just to put in the Elan shifter pulls!

I've also collected a few plates from the Steering Wheel Club... a triangular plate with driver signatures, and a small ashtray/dish. Does anyone know if they also had full-sized Steering Wheel Club dinner plates with the logo in the center?

Thanks,

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida

Wel I've heard some good excuses for "home Bars" but your sis wery origineeaaa er al.
Um jus' one more then.
Hic! hic!
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:53 pm

Jus hand me yer car keys mate, and I'll pour yah anuder pint! :wink:

Gary
'71 Elan FHC
Miami, Flotrida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cjones60 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:24 am

I think the Steering Wheel Club was popular with all the Racing Drivers, I have owned some of the badges, it was the United Motor Sports Club, this badge has membership from 1962 and it was Brick Street, I am certain the later badges had an address in Curzon Street Mayfair. - Chris
Attachments
swc.jpg and
cjones60
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:09 pm

That's a beautiful badge Chris, thanks for the photo! The card is very cool too! I imagine most of those cards were thrown out after they expired. I've been on the lookout for a badge for quite a while, and haven't seen any come up for sale on eBay. The only photo I have seen of one was not as nice an example as yours.

In my neck of the woods, there's an old hotel in Sebring, Florida called the Kenilworth, where I am told a lot of drivers stayed back in the day while participating in the 12 Hours of Sebring... including racing celebrities like Steve McQueen (who drove the 12 Hours with his foot in a cast) and Paul Newman. Love to have been a fly on the wall at the bar (albeit a young fly) 40+ years ago in some of those hangouts.

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:51 am

The latest Club Lotus News has a 2 page article about the opening of Pub Lotus.
It was broadcast on the BBC2 program Wheelbase 15th December.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Press release & info here:

http://www.lotus7register.co.uk/PL.htm

Cheers - rd
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:30 pm

ardee_selby wrote:Press release & info here:

http://www.lotus7register.co.uk/PL.htm

Cheers - rd

Good'n rd but, if you can, take a look at the magazine I mentioned.
There are about 10 Photos showing the occasion with some celebrities of the era & of course ACBC with a draft of an interview with him (as done by the BBC)
One of the photos shows the Lotus gearshift beer pump levers.

John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: archigator » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 pm

Wow! I can't believe these archives! 1 1/2 years after I post my inquiry, the members of this site are kind enough to post additional information as they find it! I'm not a member of Club Lotus, but would love to see those photos.... also December 15th is my birthday, so I would like to think that I might have been entitled to a free birthday pint were I there at the opening over 40 years ago!

Since my original post 1 1/2 years ago, I have been lucky to find a Steering Wheel Club badge to add to my small collection. I'm still keen to learn more about the goings-on there too; some great stories to be told I'm sure. I've also asked on other web sites to see if there is a published list of the Steering Wheel Club members and their corresponding badge numbers, but have gotten no response.

Thanks for the additional Pub Lotus info!

Gary
'71 Sprint FHC
Miami, Florida
Attachments
Steering Wheel Club Matches.jpg and
Steering Wheel Club Dish.jpg
Steering Wheel Club Dish.jpg (132.27 KiB) Viewed 3398 times
Steering Wheel Club Plate.jpg
Steering Wheel Club Plate.jpg (132.3 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
archigator
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:16 pm

... later the next decade, I found the picture at colinchapmanmuseum.org.uk
Attachments
Colin Chapman Pub Lotus 1971.jpg
Colin Chapman Pub Lotus 1971.jpg (22.32 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: wobblyweb » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:27 pm

If I remember correctly the bar stools were Europa seats !!!
wobblyweb
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:37 pm

Selby strikes again.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: