So who has or is building a Zetec Elan or +2

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:23 pm

It'd be good to know who of us belong to this inscrutable crew.
Let's not limit the list to Zetec engines but any Elan or +2 with an alternative engine.
Shall we give it a go?
John

1. Me S4 DHC 185bhp 2 Liter Zetec + uprated Lotus drive train. Job finished & on the road.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:42 pm

2. Me 160bhp '71 +2, all finished except interior

How much did it cost to get to 185bhp and how bad is the mpg? Must admit another 10% would be nice...wonder if 175 is doable without too much work?

This would be better off in things in common, I think...
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: EMA7K » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:25 pm

I have a yellow Zetec +2 built 2007 by retired engineer. Has unusal dashboard with push button start and only 167bhp(from rolling road) but enough power for me. Absolutely love it. Also just picked up my Elan Sprint from Paul Mattys which has just had engine upgrade to 150 BHP. Now an extremely happy man.

Gareth
EMA7K
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:32 pm

The nickname gives a clue....

Spyder converted +2
2.0 Zetec 182bhp @ 6250 rpm but will rev over 7000 all day long (power falls to 175) soft red line is 7250 and hard red line is 7500. I have the shift light set at 6500.
162'lb torque @ 5000 (130'lb torque @ 2500 rpm)
MT75 5 speed box,
Scorpio LSD

Goes like stink!!

I wouldn't want to start a Zetec club though, we might have people with 'ordinary Elans' wanting to join :wink:
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:02 pm

richgilb wrote:2. Me 160bhp '71 +2, all finished except interior

How much did it cost to get to 185bhp and how bad is the mpg? Must admit another 10% would be nice...wonder if 175 is doable without too much work?

Rich,

Jenvey throttle bodies and Emerald 3D release 160bhp, I'm guessing you already have these. My 180bhp was courtesy of the above plus uprated cams @ ?465 and headwork by Burton Power @ ?495 both + the dreaded vat.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:04 pm

Rich,

MPG is 40+ on a high traffic day and drops to about 35 when I can have some fun, Castle Combe was about 20mpg, but I ran a different map that day to scare the Elise's.

regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:05 am

Hmm, a grand for an extra 25bhp....should I do the webasto mohair roof or the extra power first?

Is it peaky? I get good torque on mine, which would be a shame to lose. It would be nice to get the extra 25bhp spread through the power curve not just at high revs.
I am now an ex-Elan owner but will drop by from time to time with some suitably inappropriate comments.
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:03 am

richgilb wrote:2. Me 160bhp '71 +2, all finished except interior

Hi Rich,

My car runs on 45 DCOE's, has head/intake manifold flowing,cams, valve springs, lightened flywheel & ECU from Dunnell Engines.
The Webers do make the car thirsty (not measured) but I got them as a present, so much cheaper than me going for injection.
I did the engine work in 2 stages so it turned out a bit expensive as Paul also did the spanner work for me the 2nd time around.
I can thoroughly recommend Paul Dunnell & his components; he is IMHO "The Zetec Man", check out his website for specs & prices.
I wouldn't know how to move this thread. I thought this was the appropriate place for it, me not being so "up front" on the Zetec theme, if you know what I mean. :wink:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:58 pm

John, you know about me. Zetec spec is Blacktop engine, Jenvey throttle bodies, standard cams and head. ECU by Emerald. Horsepower will be whatever the exhaust will allow (Using Ashley manifold intended for FWD Fiesta installation for primaries). Bodywork is my major focus just now
Regards

Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:56 am

gerrym wrote:John, you know about me. Zetec spec is Blacktop engine, Jenvey throttle bodies, standard cams and head. ECU by Emerald. Horsepower will be whatever the exhaust will allow (Using Ashley manifold intended for FWD Fiesta installation for primaries). Bodywork is my major focus just now
Regards

Gerry

Hi Gerry,

your mention of "Blacktop" set off another question in my mind about Zetec engines.
To kick off my 2.0 liter Zetec came direct to me via BMW from Ford. A Mondeo destined engine with a die cast Cyl. head cover; a fairly early engine as I recall taking delivery of it in 1998.
In those days I think the Zetec was available as 1.6; 1.8 & 2.0 Liter variants
Ford later produced another Zetec 1.6 Liter engine for the Fiesta & I believe that engine was a new smaller disign & had a "black" plastic Cyl. head cover.
Later versions of the larger Zetec engines have also a black plastic Cyl head cover. I've also noticed that there are variations on the oil filter orientation.
Dunnell does offer this black Cyl. head cover slightly modified to fit the earlier engines.

Our friends over the pond seem to have some difficulty with the term "Zetec" so maybe this thread would be a good place to define the Zetec variations.
I have written the extent of my knowledge, who can add some factual further information?

Cheers
John
Last edited by GrUmPyBoDgEr on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:10 am

richgilb wrote:Is it peaky? I get good torque on mine, which would be a shame to lose. It would be nice to get the extra 25bhp spread through the power curve not just at high revs.

Rich,

It certainly isn't peaky, the throttle doesn't need a push to get going, a mere nudge will get it off the line. There's plenty of torque all the way from 1000rpm to 5200 where it reaches maximum 160+lb ft and obviously tails off a bit after that point, but of course its not needed higher in the rev range. At full throttle between 2500 - 5000 you can feel the whole car being launched forward on the torque and power and its no effort to drive the car quickly, it revs to over 7000 safely but there's no point revving that high if you have another gear to go up which is why I have my shift light set to 6250.

7250 - 7500 bouncing of the rev limiters sounds great through tunnels though! My favourite is at Lewes in Sussex (Cuilfail Tunnel) which has great accoustics.

regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:02 am

Spyder fan wrote:
richgilb wrote:Is it peaky? I get good torque on mine, which would be a shame to lose. It would be nice to get the extra 25bhp spread through the power curve not just at high revs.

Rich,

It certainly isn't peaky, the throttle doesn't need a push to get going, a mere nudge will get it off the line. There's plenty of torque all the way from 1000rpm to 5200 where it reaches maximum 160+lb ft and obviously tails off a bit after that point, but of course its not needed higher in the rev range. At full throttle between 2500 - 5000 you can feel the whole car being launched forward on the torque and power and its no effort to drive the car quickly, it revs to over 7000 safely but there's no point revving that high if you have another gear to go up which is why I have my shift light set to 6250.

7250 - 7500 bouncing of the rev limiters sounds great through tunnels though! My favourite is at Lewes in Sussex (Cuilfail Tunnel) which has great accoustics.

regards

I 2nd that in every respect; sounds like both our engines are set up similarly.
Oh yes driving through tunnels after dropping down a gear or two :D :D But I guess that applies for Twinks as well, almost.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richgilb » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:24 pm

This is a poor turn out. Apart form Niall, does anyone know if there is anyone else out there? If there have ever been requests for a Zetec forum, it is no surprise that there isn't one. There are over 100 Zetec Elans out there....where are you?
richgilb
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:28 pm

richgilb wrote:This is a poor turn out. Apart form Niall, does anyone know if there is anyone else out there? If there have ever been requests for a Zetec forum, it is no surprise that there isn't one. There are over 100 Zetec Elans out there....where are you?

I think that a lot of zetec Elan owners fall into the category of 'non enthusiasts'. By that I mean that most of the Spyder 'factory built' conversions are bought by people who want a relatively exclusive sports car that just happens to have a Lotus heritage, the sort of people who read Octane magazine and can afford the exotic machinery thats featured and advertised within its pages (The Spyder demonstrator was featured earlier this year in Octane).

You hardly ever see a properly converted car for sale apart from recently when 3 came along all at once (just like buses).

I counted 3no +2 Zetecs at Donington earlier this year including mine and Castle Combe track day had just one zetec +2 (mine), nice BDM engined Elan showed up though, pity I didn't get on track at the same time although I think he would have humbled me with his reported 200bhp+
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:37 am

richgilb wrote:This is a poor turn out. Apart form Niall, does anyone know if there is anyone else out there? If there have ever been requests for a Zetec forum, it is no surprise that there isn't one. There are over 100 Zetec Elans out there....where are you?

I have also been surprised at the lack of response. As you say, there must be many more out there on the Forum.

Quite a few years ago there was a lot of negative response to the non-conformists Zetec fraction from the "original" Elan majority & the battering could be quite heavy at times.
Since then I have tended to act rather reclusively on the subject, coming out of the woodwork only when provoked.
At the time I asked a similar question; why not a separate section for Zetecs, so that we experimentors could discuss the subject without "disturbing" the daily read of the "conformists".
That in turn started another discussion about different g/boxes etc.
All intimating that a separate section (Why should "they" be treated specially?) would also not meet with the majority approval.
Even back then an enormous amount had been written on the subject & the job of recapturing it & transfering that data into a new section would have be major.
I must have written reams on the subject & the thought of sifting through my posts to put those Zetec postings on to a new section now is a job I wouldn't look forward to at all. The complete thread would need to be moved in order to put any individual post into context.
At this stage in the game I don't think I'd like to start from scratch now on a completely new "Zetec.Elan" Forum
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: