MOT Regs (one for the Brits)

PostPost by: Matt7c » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:53 pm

Does anybody know whether it is necessary to have a reversing light and a rear fog light on cars that were not originally fitted with them?

My PO fitted both to the rear of my S2 - they hang down underneath the bumper and are ugly as sin. As I don't drive the car in anything other than dry daylight, I would be content to dispense with either or both if they're not legally required.

Matt
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: niallf » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:00 pm

Don't believe reversing lights are a requirement. I think rear Fog Lights, if fitted, need to work. If not fitted, they can't fail you.

My +2 doesn't have rear Fog Lights and passed its MOT with no problems.

I'd take them off.

Niall
niallf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:45 am

I have had several kit cars and Loti and the MOT
testers don`t know what they are looking for at in these type of cars ,my suggestion would be to remove them
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:25 am

Yes, If they weren't originally fitted they are not a requirement. Bin them :D

Unless there has been a very recent change I'm not aware of, reversing lights are not a testable item.

The rules generally change if items are fitted, for example a pre 1965 car doesn't require seat belts BUT if they are fitted they must then be up to MOT standard (and be worn!)
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:55 am

All cars built after (I think) 1978 need a rear facing fog light...Elans are certainly outside the catchment age...bin them!
If you want a really good MOT go to Huntley garage on the A40 just outside Gloucester. He takes about 2 hours to do the test and is very VERY demanding...if there is a fault he'll find it, which I find reassuring on a 40 year old car.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:22 am

Rear fogs were compulsory for cars first used after 1 April 1980

Reversing lights are in the construction and use regulations (ECE R23) prior to the rear fogs (ECE R38) so they were definitely required earlier but they aren't tested in the MOT. I suspect they probably became legislated around 1970 ish. Only the S4 onwards (S3??) had them fitted at the factory anyway.

http://www.ukmot.com/manual.asp

Construction and use regs for the geeks :D

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs1-20.html
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:33 pm

That's a great site Martin :D Thanks, I will be passing that on.

My +2 does not have Hazzards, fog light or side repeaters and I have no intention on fitting them, as you say they are not required on such an old vehicle. So if you retro fit them it is another thing for the tester to fail you on (+2 electrics are not great). I have removed spot lights from old cars for MOT's before because people fit them to look good but they never work.

I have seen lots of people fit hazzards and can see the benefit of having them, but if your car has a dynamo (as mine has) then the hazzards will bearly flash with the engine stopped, so not really worth fitting :lol: If you are thinking of fitting hazzards, switch off the engine, turn on the ignition, now try the indicators (they will not flash for long):D

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:33 pm

That's a great site Martin :D Thanks, I will be passing that on.

My +2 does not have Hazzards, fog light or side repeaters and I have no intention on fitting them, as you say they are not required on such an old vehicle. So if you retro fit them it is another thing for the tester to fail you on (+2 electrics are not great). I have removed spot lights from old cars for MOT's before because people fit them to look good but they never work.

I have seen lots of people fit hazzards and can see the benefit of having them, but if your car has a dynamo (as mine has) then the hazzards will bearly flash with the engine stopped, so not really worth fitting :lol: If you are thinking of fitting hazzards, switch off the engine, turn on the ignition, now try the indicators (they will not flash for long):D

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt7c » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:48 pm

Thanks for the answers, guys; those lamps are coming off! In fact, I'm looking forward to doing such an easy enhancement to the looks of the old girl. Of-course a full respray would be the best thing, but the bank's "computer says nah"
1965 Elan S2
Matt7c
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: